• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
OMG his impressions of his were the same as mine of mine /shock :p

Same could be said for most things though. I'm sure going from a 1080 to V64 wouldn't feel any different. The only time you'll notice is if you're struggling to either keep 60fps or keep within g/freesync range. At 1440p then of course that isn't an issue so it won't feel different. As more games are struggling to maintain 60fps, that's when you'll notice the difference with the 1080ti.

Soldato
All good so far, I game at 1440P, can't tell any difference in game. We know the 1080 Ti gets a higher max FPS, but for the money VEGA is an impressive alternative.

Can def recommend this card at the price I paid £469.

Glad to hear you aren't regretting the change :) Will come back to you in a couple of weeks to see if you are still happy :p

I might change from my 1070 to the Vega 64 further down the road, the VR performance on Vega still isn't great. I was interested in changing to something different, and Vega is interesting but, VR is my main gaming at the moment so swapping over will have to wait.

Associate
fairly impressed with the card atm, i was expecting a lot more heat from it also, i have it on balanced atm and with benchmarks im capping out at 74c with the stock fan profile 99% usage

a lot more messing to be done but so far im really liking it

Soldato
No idea sorry mate. HBM power usage is low, so i wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks it's more about idle temperature :D

If we can believe Wattman, then yes it does. I just hooked up my 2nd display (had to order a cable) and I'm seeing similar numbers and similar idle temperature of 39C.

That's Great to hear thanks, one pain in the back side R9 290 memory would boost into 3D clocks with more than one display.

Caporegime
Associate
Well, mine turned up today. Undervolted to 1100 with no overclock on the core and a 1050 overclock on the HBM. Fantastic to have Freesync again and given that I don't have to drop settings to stay above Vsync the gaming experience is better than with the 1080. The only fly in the ointment is that I can't initialise OpenCL support in Capture One so I will need to dig around for an answer to that. Delighted with the card though.

Associate
Behind the scenes at AMD, I've been working on some driver help content which has recently gone live on the AMD.com website. Thought some new AMD users may find it interesting.

Note, these need to be updated to mention Vega.

How to Configure AMD Radeon™ Settings to Get an Optimal Gaming Experience
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/DH-012.aspx

How to Capture Your Gameplay Using Radeon™ ReLive
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/DH-023.aspx

These are great, especially the Radeon Settings one for me. I've been playing around with settings a lot and some of them leave me scratching my head.

Caporegime
These are great, especially the Radeon Settings one for me. I've been playing around with settings a lot and some of them leave me scratching my head.
Thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it!

Here is the landing page which me and my team have been working on the past few months. We still need to update a couple of articles, but we're getting there.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/driverhelp

Associate
Just been doing some initial playing with my card and have noticed that the GPU core voltage doesn't appear to go any lower than 1000mV? HBM2 also appears to throttle at higher temperatures (around 80C) but just bumping up the fan to "almost too loud" (3,000RPM) keeps the GPU at ~65C and HBM2 running at 1100. Seems like the EK block would be a good investment, even without changing the BIOS.

So far I'm loving it. Glad I ignored the doom and gloom spread by the usual YouTube suspects and held out for the order to be filled now! I have a 1080FE in another machine so might do some comparisons.

Asa

Asa

Associate
Hmmm bit of a mixed bag with my card so far. I was a bit short-sighted in my ordering enthusiasm, and forgot that the R9-295x2 had all mini-displayports so I had none of the connections I needed to hand. The lack of proper cables limits my experimenting, as my monitor only supports HDMI 1.4 (and no HDMI freesync).

Having said that, with the out-of-the-box balanced profile running World of Warcraft at 1080p, I get about 40 fps. The core clock sticks at about 600, and the memory at 500hz, and activity hovers around 99-100%. What the hell? I ran Abe on the Oculus Rift, and had the same issue with clocks (though ASW propped up the performance).

However, if I run Overwatch the card blasts up to the clocks I'd expect (until it caps temp and throttles, but that's something i can deal with later).

I've also got intermittent blank blue flashes on the screen, in game and desktop. I'm going to ignore that until I get my displayport cables and some more time to test.

Has anyone else had issues with clocks refusing to dial up when you need them?

Back
Top Bottom