• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
When I bought my Vega 64 AC as soon as I went into a game I got the black screens and eventually it rebooted. Turned out my 700w PSU just couldn't handle it and AMD are right in saying minimum spec is 750w. Fitted a new FSP Hydro-G 850w and since then it's been gaming bliss. I notice a few of you that are having the black screens have the AIO version and AMD recommend a 1000w PSU to run them.

Anything less and you're close to the edge TBH and reading some of the posts people are getting them to run in power save mode or bios 2 but they won't run at balanced/stock. Whichever way you look at it Vega is a power hog and you really do need the recommended spec to make it run right. If you haven't got that PSU either you need to buy a new one or don't buy a Vega card if you don't want to be disappointed. Sad but that seems to be where we are with Vega. Great card if you can tame the power!

Now that I finally have my Vega64 AC installed, I've had no problems running it overclocked on a 600W PSU (Be Quiet! Pure Power 10).

At stock settings (balanced power profile etc) I saw a peak system power draw (measured at the wall) of 390W (though typical draw was nearer 300W) during Timespy demo (graphics benchmark score of 6948 with 17.8.2 drivers).

The highest peak system power draw I saw was 544W (typical draw in the 400-480W range) overclocked to 1707MHz at stock voltage (HBM at 1070MHz) and +50% power limit. At these settings I got a graphics benchmark score of 7628, but was still able to get 7602 at 1692MHz with an undervolt to 1150 and a corresponding peak draw of 492W.

Caporegime
nice, I'll be coming back at ya when I can figure out a way to get my HBM higher :mad: :D not sure why the default voltage is 1050mv on my memory, but not got the bottle to alter that one yet as I think the HBM is a little buggy.
Changing HBM voltage triggers a bug whereby the frequency can drop to 800Mhz, i would leave it alone. 1050-1100Mhz is the sweet spot at stock voltage on Vega 64.

Soldato
Changing HBM voltage triggers a bug whereby the frequency can drop to 800Mhz, i would leave it alone. 1050-1100Mhz is the sweet spot at stock voltage on Vega 64.

when i try anything higher than 1030mhz for memory at the moment, when gaming or benching, my memory clock speed drops to 800mhz immediately and then just sticks there. Not sure if I've just got some very average HBM2 here, or its the bug in the driver. Going to wait and see what happens in future driver versions before i start messing with that.

Soldato

I have a bug where if I don't change HBM voltage to match state 6 and 7 voltages, the GPU will go no higher than state 5.

So I can set .950mV in state 6 and 7, with HBM at default 1050 and the GPU sticks at 1192 - 1204 MHz. As soon as I set HBM to .950 the GPU goes to state 7.

Also if I set HBM to manual and leave it at 1050 it downclocks

Hmmm. I have been using the afterburner monitoring tool to watch clocks and temperatures. I just tested without it seems this bug is related to running afterburner.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Scrub my previous comment Matt, just benching fine at 1050mhz on memory :) looks like it wouldn't do it previously as I was using much lower core voltage. Could that cause the HBM to drop frequency? Whatever it was, it seems just fine now :)
No idea mate. My advice would to both of you would be try the next driver and see how it goes.

Soldato
No idea mate. My advice would to both of you would be try the next driver and see how it goes.

forget it Matt, all seems spot on now :)

btw....what you think of this? https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31119481/

and also...one last thing seeing as we on recording topic. How did you get Relive to record BF1? It wont record for me. I can get the panel up with alt+z but when i click record, nothing. Crtl+Shift+R isnt working either. Tried fullscreen, borderless and windowed, all the same, refuses to record gameplay. I did read with FRTC enabled, that could cause an issue, but I don't have mine set at the moment. I'm using DX12 btw.

Last edited:
Caporegime
forget it Matt, all seems spot on now :)

btw....what you think of this? https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31119481/

and also...one last thing seeing as we on recording topic. How did you get Relive to record BF1? It wont record for me. I can get the panel up with alt+z but when i click record, nothing. Crtl+Shift+R isnt working either. Tried fullscreen, borderless and windowed, all the same, refuses to record gameplay. I did read with FRTC enabled, that could cause an issue, but I don't have mine set at the moment. I'm using DX12 btw.
Not see that bug, but i tend to use AVC mostly for 4K60FPS. HEVC only does 4K30. Log a report.

For DX12 you need to enable Record Desktop.

Excellent work Matt! You might want to link that in your sig...
Good idea, thanks.

Soldato
Not see that bug, but i tend to use AVC mostly for 4K60FPS. HEVC only does 4K30. Log a report.

For DX12 you need to enable Record Desktop.

Already logged a report, same happening for shanks as well. HEVC doesn't always appear as an encoding option. Regarding BF1, already have record desktop enabled. I was wondering if it was an issue with DX12, hence the reason all your BF1 gameplay is done on DX11 mode.

Associate
Chaps, I have a Fury Nitro and game at 3440x1440.

The Fury is pretty good at this res but I want to do better. I have to turn settings down quite a bit in some games to keep above the 75hz sweetspot of my monitor.

Does anyone know how much faster the Vega 64 would be for me at this res compared to my Fury Nitro?

Am just trying to figure out if it would be a pretty decent upgrade for me.

I guess the custom boards will be out soon so maybe I should wait and see what drops there. The Fury Nitro is an incredible custom GPU. Quietest and coolest GPU I have ever owned (amazing I am saying that about a Fury!). I am not sure I could get on with a blower type fan and hot temps after being spoiled with the Nitro.

Any thoughts are welcome!

Caporegime
Already logged a report, same happening for shanks as well. HEVC doesn't always appear as an encoding option. Regarding BF1, already have record desktop enabled. I was wondering if it was an issue with DX12, hence the reason all your BF1 gameplay is done on DX11 mode.
DX12 runs like dirt i find, so that was my reason for using DX11 to record.

Soldato
DX12 runs like dirt i find, so that was my reason for using DX11 to record.

ok. Just been messing around, its not a problem with BF1, its a problem with Relive recording. I cant record anything at the moment, not even the desktop. Can bring up the panel with alt+z, can take a screenshot, but when i try and record nothing happens. Get the little recording timer flicker very briefly at the top of the screen but disappears and no file saves to location. Been messing around for the past half hour with it, might reinstall the driver.

Caporegime
ok. Just been messing around, its not a problem with BF1, its a problem with Relive recording. I cant record anything at the moment, not even the desktop. Can bring up the panel with alt+z, can take a screenshot, but when i try and record nothing happens. Get the little recording timer flicker very briefly at the top of the screen but disappears and no file saves to location. Been messing around for the past half hour with it, might reinstall the driver.
Good idea.

Soldato
Got to play many, many hours this weekend, absolutely loving my Vega64 LE. The performance is just amazing at 1440P, with a 144Hz freesync monitor. So glad I waiting for it instead of getting a 1080/1080ti and loosing freesync.

Not had one crash so far, this card simply tears through PUBG, also enjoying prey.

Replaced the default fan with a Noctua - much much quiter now, though I do have moderate coilwhine on my card (around the same levels as my RX480/1070 had) - though it is a low pitched whine, meaning not annoying at all for me.

Soldato
I've done a few videos on 17.8.2 and core clock is between 1700-1775 mostly. In less demanding games or using a lower res like 1080P i get higher clocks. See my two BF1 videos as an example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AKer0c7sxY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bKBw7EdXE8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so71Rd7fIuY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7IHm7HGv9g

Ok so maybe the fact that I'm on 3440x1440 my clocks are slightly lower. But I don't quite get why the clocks are higher with less demanding games, I would have thought the card would need to boost higher when it was being pushed harder? Can you explain why this is?

Soldato
Ok so maybe the fact that I'm on 3440x1440 my clocks are slightly lower. But I don't quite get why the clocks are higher with less demanding games, I would have thought the card would need to boost higher when it was being pushed harder? Can you explain why this is?
Noticed something odd myself, whilst doing some testing on heaven I noticed the clock speed ran lower on 1440 than it did at 1080p, I thought it would be the other way round

Back
Top Bottom