• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
I also posted this in the Vega 56 Owners thead but i hope you guy's are willing to help aswell :)

I had to make a new account my old one was gone.
I have bin following the overclockers forums for quite some time but im not a active poster more a reader :)

Im doing a lot of Vega testing because its fun and i want to learn more about the cards. I just made a online sheet where i post my data.
Maybe there are people over here that also want to add their data.

The tests are done with Unigine SuperPosition 1080p Extreme and 1440p for now.
I use data from wattman and GPU-Z to get some extra info on actual clockspeeds, voltages and power draw.

I only added a few results so far the rest is still on my pc. I hope to add them this weekend.
I'm currently testing 3 Vega 56 cards and 2 64's. And have tested 2x64 before that.

I hope some of you want to share your results so get a better picture how Vega performs with different voltages.

Here is the link to the google sheet: RX Vega UV/OC Results - Unigine SuperPosition

Asa

Asa

Associate
bios switch between primary/secondary bios - I think you can only flash the primary one so the secondary is always available to go back to if you get a bad flash.

Different bios's have different power/clock/boost/voltage levels set.
Thanks. That's what I would have assumed if I hadn't read in some reviews that Vega includes different power profiles on the card itself, as well as the Wattman profiles.

Are the 2 BIOS on the reference cards identical out of the box, or do they use them to deliver the different power profiles?

Associate
Thanks. That's what I would have assumed if I hadn't read in some reviews that Vega includes different power profiles on the card itself, as well as the Wattman profiles.

Are the 2 BIOS on the reference cards identical out of the box, or do they use them to deliver the different power profiles?

Different. The stock bios closer to the exhaust that is active out of the box has a slightly higher max power draw. The second one seems write protected and has a slightly lower power consumption.

Here you can see the differences between bios 1 and 2 + the power profiles:

power_average.png

Last edited:

Asa

Asa

Associate
Different. The stock bios closer to the exhaust that is active out of the box has a slightly higher max power draw. The second one seems write protected and has a slightly lower power consumption.

Here you can see the differences between bios 1 and 2 + the power profiles:

power_average.png
Interesting. Thanks.

This card sure does invite experimentation.

Asa

Asa

Associate
Do they give any indication on how much the 2nd bios hurts performance?

Also, have any of you custom loop folk had much joy using the AIO BIOS?

Associate
I just did the same on my liquid but at 50% power limit.
Ran a superposition benchmark at high settings and it was super smooth.
znMjI6A.jpg

Looks like it wasn't stable at these settings.
Jumped on sniper elite 4 straight after and it black screened crashed on me within 15mins at a GPU hungry cut scene. (This is with VSR set at 3k instead of 2560 x 1440 though.)
Back on standard clocks/voltage and BF1 ran fine at the Same VSR for another 1hr until I shut down.
Will try default voltage and 1080 memory clock next.

Asa

Asa

Associate
Marketing talk for "we messed up on the power usage on this one lads" :p
Except it was me that said it, and I'm certainly not affiliated with AMD :p

I'm not saying the power consumption or heat issues are wonderful, but part of me does enjoy the challenge of taming and optimising cards. Some kinda masochism forged in the fires of crossfire R9-290s!

Edit: Another part of me just remembered the £600 980Ti I had to throw in the bin after a failed experiment. That still hurts. :(

Associate
No point in using AMDs power save or turbo mode settings they are junk, just set the slider to custom and set the speeds and voltage manually - doesnt take long to find a steady half decent setting that doesnt gobble power and is fast

Asa

Asa

Associate
No point in using AMDs power save or turbo mode settings they are junk, just set the slider to custom and set the speeds and voltage manually - doesnt take long to find a steady half decent setting that doesnt gobble power and is fast

My card instantly crashes if i try to apply any changes to the custom profile. Even something simple like reducing core clocks by 1%. That's what sparked my interest in BIOS options :(

Soldato
A few were asking about my clocks in games. Using the previous settings from the thread, gamed for about 5 hours last night, various titles everything was spot on. I think I've definitely found the sweet spot, 100% stability and clocks stay with 10mhz not fluctuating to much at all really. For those that were curious, did a bf1 record last night for reference

Associate
How accurate is GPU-z Only Power Draw? My GPU only hits around 200w

I dont know still need to do some extra testing but i think its GPU only so no PCB and HBM power. i have seen 296 peak with overclocking my 56 Air. I still need to test my highest scoring Vega 64 but i think that one will end up at 300-320w. (compared to the difference in power draw at the wall started using GPU-Z 2.3.0 yesterday so did not have GPU Power results for older tests)

Caporegime
A few were asking about my clocks in games. Using the previous settings from the thread, gamed for about 5 hours last night, various titles everything was spot on. I think I've definitely found the sweet spot, 100% stability and clocks stay with 10mhz not fluctuating to much at all really. For those that were curious, did a bf1 record last night for reference

Good job Tony, is that the single player campaign? Looks nice and smooth.

I might put a similar version up with my settings but at 3440x1440P. I've been trying to tweak my settings a bit to get a more balanced core clock like you.

Associate
My card instantly crashes if i try to apply any changes to the custom profile. Even something simple like reducing core clocks by 1%. That's what sparked my interest in BIOS options :(

Thats got to be a driver thing, cant believe its hardware.
i would nuke the current set and start again.

Back
Top Bottom