The SFF Case Gallery And Specs Thread

Caporegime
I tried an AIO with the SG05 and didn't have a good time with graphics card clearance, and the positioning of the power pins. That was with wanting to keep standard 3.5 inch HDDs though, with SSDs that slot into the MB and SSDs you can stick anywhere you might have some more success.

I went with a Thermalright AXP-100, but this is a long time ago.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/mini-itx-gaming-system.18458256/

Soldato
Not seen an SG05 in a while. Great case. Built my first SFF PC in one back in 2009. The photos are long since lost, but from what I can remember it housed a C2D E5200, 4GB DDR2, and a HD4850!

I'd love to see some pics when it's done!

Caporegime
Still using an SG06 here. Brilliant ITX case.

Here's my son (and daughter out of shot) playing Lego Worlds at 4K with a Q6600 and a GTX1050. He probably needs to stand a little closer at that's only a 55" screen.

CeU880Lh.jpg

It's overheating in the AV unit (the CPU is being passively cooled) so I've ordered an AC Infinity USB fan to exhaust the warm air (once I've drilled a hole in the back of the AV unit).

In the meantime, when they play I'm having to take the case out of the cabinet.

I'm planning to upgrade it to a Ryzen 3300X and 5600XT at some point soon.

Soldato
0opU57h.jpg

Been a full sized ATX user all my life. So when I needed to downsize due to a new baby crawling around on the floor and having my desk downsized too, I needed to go as small as I could.

Thanks to a member on this forum I got my hands on a Dan A4 v4.1

Think I've got the SFF bug already!

Dan A4 v4.1
Aorus X570-i
Ryzen 3600 @4Ghz
Teamgroup Ram @ 3333mhz (heatsinks removed)
Noctua L9A
WD Black SN750 500GB NVME (Front)
Samsung 250GB NVME (Rear)
RX580

Last edited:
Associate
Still using an SG06 here. Brilliant ITX case.

Here's my son (and daughter out of shot) playing Lego Worlds at 4K with a Q6600 and a GTX1050. He probably needs to stand a little closer at that's only a 55" screen.

CeU880Lh.jpg

It's overheating in the AV unit (the CPU is being passively cooled) so I've ordered an AC Infinity USB fan to exhaust the warm air (once I've drilled a hole in the back of the AV unit).

In the meantime, when they play I'm having to take the case out of the cabinet.

I'm planning to upgrade it to a Ryzen 3300X and 5600XT at some point soon.

That's hilarious, look how close he is!

That's an amazingly small case, sounds like you have the overheating problem sussed. Bummer in the mean time having to get it out.

Is it used for anything other than gaming given its location?

I've just ordered a 3300X after hearing great things about it.

Associate
Well that's the build done, first PC built in about 20 years

Case: SG05 with fan swapped out for a Noctua NF-F12 PWM
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-I
CPU: I5 9600K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 16GB
GPU: MSI 2070 Super Ventus OC
Storage: Western Digital Black NVMe 1TB
CPU Cooler: BeQuiet Shadow Rock LP with fan swapped out for a Noctua NF-A12X25 PWM
PSU: Corsair SF750 with fan swapped out for a Noctua A9x14 PWM (based the PSU on GPU recommendations but if I am honest I think it is over the top)
Optical Drive: Bluray slotload combi burner

Build went reasonably smoothly, motherboard is a pain and if I had known before I installed it the issues I might have chosen something different, VRM heatsink and I/O shield is just really bulky, limits coolers (couldn't fit a Noctua NH-L12S which would have been first choice based on thermal performance v noise).

The build was limited to air cooling only, water cooling was ruled out by wanting to fit in the optical drive, it is being used as a bit of a gaming rig and a home theater PC so needed to be quiet and have the bluray for back catalogue.

The rest of the components fitted really well (lots of research on here and technical manual measurements which got a little tedious in the end but measure twice and all that) although you do need to take unconventional approaches to which components are fitted when

1. CPU cooler bracket to motherboard
2. Hard-drive into motherboard
3. Motherboard into case
4. Took the opportunity to remove the 2 USB 3 ports the case came with and replace with one USB 3 and one USB C (see front picture, again found out SIlverStone actually sell this but then half the fun is mucking about right?) Then spent some time making the front panel cables the right length so soldering and crimping again, all to route around the bottom edge of the case, a bit tedious but worth it for air flow. Also adjusted the length of the case fan cable to neatly route around the bottom edge on the other side
4. GPU into motherboard (simply couldn't get it in with even RAM fitted)
5. RAM
6. CPU
7. Cooler
8. PSU (before fitting I checked out the noise levels, air flow and power details of the fan on it and took the opportunity to swap it out for the Noctua fan, little bit of a solder and crimp to to the GPU style PWM connector and all good
9. Measured up and made GPU cables to length
10. Completely chopped the optical drive bay down removing all other drive bays and chopping out some of the back section and extending the holes for the GPU power connectors, spray painted it to make it look neat, needed to chop some more so left it not painted. Took a slim optical drive adapter, cut it down the middle to separate the power from the data, then made a connector direct to the PSU, reducing cabling was a real aim on this
11. Was really happy with the build and its thermals and then put it in a cupboard and was surprised that it began to get hot
12. Completely deconstructed it in the reverse of above, added a splitter to the case fan PWM cable, chopped a small section out of the I/O shield routed a PWM cable through and chopped a bit out of the I/O backplate for the connector to be fixed into, added a fan to the cabinet the runs off the case fan PWM, whisper quiet and only speeds up with the case fan... reconstruct as above. Also took the opportunity to replace those mental power and HDD LEDs that enable you to see your skeleton on the wall behind you.
13. For no real reason replaced the GPU cables I made with some custom ones to match the rest of the PSU cables, really wish I hadn't bothered because the ones I had made were about the same

So thermal performance (no overclocking at the minute) at ambient temp of 22 degrees Celsius and with some pretty light fan curves to ensure it remains as quiet as possible for as along as possible

IDLE
Mainboard 36 (delta 14)
CPU 32 (delta 10)
Hard drive 42 (delta 20, the MB has the hard-drive stacked on the PCH as a cooler arrangement which I am not sure is the best)
GPU 30 (delta 8)

Furmark 1080 gets GPU to 70 (delta 48) at 166 FPS
Furmark 2160 gets GPU to 74 (delta 52) at 60 FPS

Prim95 gets CPU to 64 (delta 42)

Black MESA on 1080 gets
CPU 42 (delta 20)
GPU 65 (delta 43)

All in all a neat little machine which is genuinely less than 20db in normal operation, less than 25db in 1080 gaming for any length of time, the loudest bit in the machine is the optical drive. Pretty happy

Thanks for everyone who has posted on the forum which helped me not to have to make huge errors

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks great @Gfski

Considering how tight the case is to work in, you've gone a really good job of tidying it.

You're right on the SF750. Way, way over the top. The SF600 would have been more than adequate. And the SF450 would have been fine too.

One thought; the PSU and CPU fans are in close proximity and blowing in opposing directions. What happens if you change this up? CPU fan pulling from the motherboard, or PSU fan as an intake, or flip the PSU completely?

Associate
So, I thought a lot about this then installed it and left it.

I looked at the CPU fan specs on push v pull and that kind of meant pushing air through the fin array was the best choice on that, it also means there is constant airflow down onto the MB.

The PSU is always (until the next build...) going to be that distance from the CPU fan top so that meant the next choice is the solid top plate of the PSU above it or the PSU fan cutout. I took off the guard and that means there is a passage for air to get to for the CPU fan on that 20% on that side.

This left the last choice of PSU fan orientation, I could flip it so it pulls air from outside assisting then CPU fan but with a turbulent air flow or leave it pulling from the case with possible fighting between the two fans.

I decided to try it in the normal orientation for a thermal test first and would make a decision afterwards in all honesty I was a bit tired of working on it at the point too and needed a break.

The truth is that the PSU is so overpowered that the fan just doesn’t turn, so in theory I think I would be better flipping it, in practice it just doesn’t seem to make a difference.

I’m really happy with thermals and it might be an ugly case but I like how plain it all looks and how much is going on inside, if I hadn’t wanted an optical drive I would have had a lot more choices on case but I needed neat tidy and internal optical, but anachronistic now

Soldato
Meet the first (that I’ve seen :)) custom loop Kolink Satellite.

Cpu: Ryzen 1600af.
Motherboard: Biostar X470 itx board.
Ram: 2 x 8gb 4400mhz tridentz ram (need to play with timings etc as it won’t run at that with this cpu)
Gpu: Vega 56 with ek block.
Psu: Corsair sf600.
Ssd: sn750 500GB nvme.

Best bit about this is I have managed to maintain most functionality of the case, full I/o front panel support, and even the hard drive cages still fit on the roof and side (though limited to 2.5 drives as 3.5 would not fit)

Soldato
My new SFF build :)

Specs -

• Ryzen 5 3600
  • Asus ROG Strix B-550i - Gaming
  • 16GB Corsair Vengence LPX Black 3600Mhz
  • Intel 760P 256GB Nvme /500GB Seagate Barracuda 120 SSD/250GB Samsung EVO 840 SSD.
  • AMD Radeon 5700XT "50th Anniversary Edition"
  • Artic Liquid Freezer 2 120 AIO
  • Corsair CV Series CV650 Watt PSU
  • Noctua NF R8 Redux 80mm fans X2
  • Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX case.
C16AIOW.jpg

njSMAsB.jpg

l0Mvdjf.jpg

oJjIXnQ.jpg

Zl0gaVP.jpg

whZ0bRf.jpg

Back