US: The Shield

Associate
Sunama.... Have you just given a massive spoiler without hiding it?:mad:

Just watched the season 5 finale..... Wow, just wow.

Associate
Just finished the final season. I thought the finale was a little bit lacking but still very good. All in all a fantastic show. One of my faves if not fave.

Soldato
Lovedthis show, will have to revisit it at some point...just wondering how The Shield fares compared to Southland..need another good cop drama!

While they're both cop shows, I wouldn't say they're directly comparable.

Southland is much more on the realistic side, I always recommend it to people who liked End Of Watch.

Personally, Southland is as good as either Shield or The Wire, it kills me they stopped making it :(

Soldato
Haven't seen this in years. Got a bit bored towards the end of season 4 i think so gave up watching. Think i might have to restart the show.

Similar to the wire i guess, i didn't find that amazing either. The start of the seasons were very slow, but they started getting good towards the end. By then you're into the next season.

Associate
Amazing show. Vic Mackay. A character I once loved until Season 7 for all the right reaons. Walton Goggins as Shane Vendrall in that last season was sensational. And Ronnie. Oh Ronnie you were so awesome.

Associate
Thoroughly enjoyed The Shield, got them all on boxsets, including one US DVD as was hooked at the time but hard to get otherwise. One of my favs behind things like Sopranos and The Wire.

For me The Wire tops it due to the way it deals with more of society. Agree with those that say S2 was weak, Ziggy in particular was annoying, tidies all toehold nicet with the rest of the show and was a part of the story that needed telling.

The start of the seasons were very slow, but they started getting good towards the end. By then you're into the next season.

That's part of why I like them both so much, a great antidote to the "Villain of the week" approach so many shows take, the slow burn for character development is great.

Associate
Haven't seen this in years. Got a bit bored towards the end of season 4 i think so gave up watching. Think i might have to restart the show.

Oh you have to! The ending of Season 5 is probably the best and most shocking bit of television ever.

Regarding the ending:

I thought it was a solid ending. If you think Vic got away with it all you've misread it, the punishment he got, being hated by every other cop rather than being looked up to and being left behind on the call outs was probably worse than death for him.

Soldato
Funnily enough, I searched and subscribed to this thread just over a week ago as I'm watching my way through while other shows are on their break.

I'm just about to start season 5, but lots of shows have started back up again, so might not get back to this for some time.

Skipped through some of the comments on this second page, for fear of spoilers though.

Fantastic show so far though, will likely rank right up there with the best when I'm done, I hope.

Soldato
So I've just finished and I think I agree to an extent about the ending not being as good as I hoped. Best go into spoilers just in case...

I guess it's because you end up not sure how you feel about Vic. Maybe you want him to go down for all he's done. I understand the whole 'its almost worse than being dead' but actually, he got a 3 year sentence then he can go and do whatever he likes.

Ronny, who was perhaps the only one you like (Lem aside) pays perhaps the worse price.

All round I didn't enjoy the 7th season as much as they others. I guess I just liked the strike team out their cracking heads and as it developed into the story of their survival I didn't enjoy it as much.
There's no denying though, great story, well written and well acted. Would definitely recommend to others.

Suspended
One of the best shows ever made. I don't think there is another cop show out there to match it.

Now that you have reminded me of this show Ill have to watch it all over again.

thank you :D

Of course there is. Southland is easily better than the Shield. It has the intensity of 'End of Watch' - incredible show.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1299368/

Back
Top Bottom