US: The Shield

Associate
Is this actually available on any of the streaming services? I must have seen it all the way through at least 4 times, but want to show the Mrs as well. Would be good to find somewhere that at least has English subtitles though to make things easier.

I'm sure I saw it on one of the UK streaming channels... Itv player maybe

Soldato
English subtitles? Aren’t they speaking English all the time?

I didn't need it for The Shield, but I definitely found The Wire easier to watch with the subtitles on! I tend to find Americans do seem to have a quiet vocal track a lot of the times in their shows (and loud background effects) and with some broad accents and their proclivity to mumble, I can find it hard to catch everything they are saying

The expanse too, for the first couple of seasons until I got used to the belter language :D

Permabanned
I was advised to watch this and The Wire and TBH The Wire was not that great iMO and I was not surprised it was nearly canned after one season.

The Shield IMO is far better but as with most if not all shows the later seasons are not as good.

Soldato
and TBH The Wire was not that great iMO and I was not surprised it was nearly canned after one season.

It's only 9.3 / 10 on IMDB... one of the best rated shows ever. I think what you mean is you didn't enjoy it, which is fine. I can understand why some wouldn't, it's pretty slow most of the time. For me, great TV with a fantastic ending too.

I do also love The Shield, but it's a totally different (fast) pace.

Permabanned
What part do you not understand about IMO ? :confused:

I knew exactly what I mean/meant thanks very much and IMDB ratings can be total ******** but yes it and The Wire ae highly Rated so many other shows.

I know it is slow paced not full on action like The Shield and as I said it was almost cancelled and I also understand why.

Associate
also shield had quite few episode where they edit them for broadcast, and these edit found they way into the uk DVD released. it why those who bought the complete box set, when on to import the individual season that were edit in uk version from the USA.

Associate
Finally got round to watching this. Season 5 I think it was with Forest Whitaker was far and away the best season.

Very good show but miles off being the same standard as The Wire or The Sopranos. Can't believe people think it's better then The Wire. 8 out of 10 show but not a 10 out of 10 like those 2. Fun to watch though and would watch again one day. Vic is such a great character.

Last edited:
Associate
Currently re-watching The Shield along with The Wire ...watched both first time round in 4:3 ratio:p

Shield is so much faster paced action and based on rogue task force story line.

Wire more slow paced detective .....screen play is sublime. Interesting fact with the Wire only two shots fired by police in entire 5 seasons.

both accident blue on blue by officer Roland "Prez" Pryzbylewski

Also by chance came across SouthLAnd ...only 2 episode in very good so far

Soldato
Finally got round to watching this. Season 5 I think it was with Forest Whitaker was far and away the best season.

Very good show but miles off being the same standard as The Wire or The Sopranos. Can't believe people think it's better then The Wire. 8 out of 10 show but not a 10 out of 10 like those 2. Fun to watch though and would watch again one day. Vic is such a great character.
Tbf they are all completely different shows. All three are excellent, I don't feel the necessity to try and prove one is better than another. You honestly cant go wrong watching any of the three.

Soldato
I think the world is missing shows like 24, Prison Break, Sons of Anarchy, The Shield

I don't think it's as simple as that though. Of that list, I've seen SoA and The Shield. SoA I thought was terrible. It was overly dramatized and lazily written, in my opinion. I know many people hail it as amazing, which was why I started watching, but I thought it a little basic tbh. So many shows, they get lazy/take a simple route of something convenient to generate the 'cliff hanger' keeping you on the edge of your seat and for me that just doesn't work. If I find myself saying 'why on earth would they do that?' and then it leads to a plot event, or 'that's an odd thing to point out' and then later it's a key reason for some drama, I just think it's a little lazily written.

On topic though, I don't think I had that with The Shield. Very well done.

Associate
I don't think it's as simple as that though. Of that list, I've seen SoA and The Shield. SoA I thought was terrible. It was overly dramatized and lazily written, in my opinion. I know many people hail it as amazing, which was why I started watching, but I thought it a little basic tbh. So many shows, they get lazy/take a simple route of something convenient to generate the 'cliff hanger' keeping you on the edge of your seat and for me that just doesn't work. If I find myself saying 'why on earth would they do that?' and then it leads to a plot event, or 'that's an odd thing to point out' and then later it's a key reason for some drama, I just think it's a little lazily written.

On topic though, I don't think I had that with The Shield. Very well done.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom