The smart way to upgrade

Associate
Well seeing that 2080ti was getting trashed by the half price 3080 I was on the side lines wanted the upgrade but those who panic sold their 2080tis and made the resale price nose dive made me think twice then with all the 3080 delays saw that the second hand prices where coming back up made me think again.

so I thought why not ill pre order I know there's going to be a wait but by that time stock and issues should be sorted fingers crossed.

I had a few computer parts that I need to get rid of as they are no longer needed and where just gathering dust so sold these items plus my 2080ti (£660) 8700K and motherboard still to sell but I think my following upgrade is going to cost me the grand sum of £0

upgrade parts that I have already ordered i9 10850 avenger edition I like the box and price Asus rog strix gaming E and Asus 3080 TUF.

plan on slapping a block on that TUFFY once EK release. so my only cost will be the block so final upgrade price around 150

so as one of those 2080ti owners who was starting to feel a bit sick about the 3080 kick in the nuts I'm feeling pretty pleased now.

have any of u guys managed the free upgrade??

Associate
I never understand why you would sell your graphics card without getting a new one first.

I'm going to build my new PC and then sell off all my old parts. That's how I've always done it and it works for me.

Associate
OP
@bignev72 Because I have an Xbox one x and I’m currently working a lot so not really got time at the moment by the time work dies down again it be the beginning of November pretty sure I’ll have my card by then

also prices for 2080ti peaked with the 3080 shortage and cap gate but now look to be slowly dropping. Once the 3070 comes out no one will buy a 2080ti

Associate
Its not really a free upgrade if you had to sell more than just the components you are replacing and are spending £150 more than you get for the sale of those parts. :confused:

But yes certainly makes sense to sell things you don't need to make the upgrade cheaper. :)

Associate
OP
Yes I understand that old components cost me at some point but selling them on instead of forking out the cash again to me is a free upgrade.

The only cost at the moment is time taken to pack and put on bay

People love to hoard computer stuff until it’s worth next to nothing and u just end up binning it.

Associate
Thats true. I rarely sell or even throw away my computer bits. Having said that some of the stuff I did get rid of I regret now because I have recently got into retro gaming and reliving some of the games from my youth and have had to purchase that stuff from ebay.

You are right though that selling parts as soon as you upgrade is the best way to make the upgrade as cheap as possible. I really don't understand why anyone would have bought your old card for £660 though. Makes no sense given that the 3080 would be cheaper than that and faster. To me you card was worth £450 at most

Associate
OP
people panic one went for 770 and another for 820 now those people who brought where mad. 660 was a good price. you just wait till those 3070 come out second hand market going to nose dive and it will be pretty hard to shift a 2080ti.

But on the bright side if the prices second had are driven down 10 and 20 series prices will be great for the younglings.

Back
Top Bottom