The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Soldato
I can see why they do it though. Adding the 24mm makes it harder and more expensive to make the lens, may not be as optically good and adds weight and size. The sigma 28-70 is 67mm filter vs 82mm on their 24-70.
I understand, but i think Sigma would have sold more if they had gone up against the Sony 24-70 f4. Make it optically better, leave out the OSS and i think it would have either been better, smaller or both, while also being cheaper.

As it is i thought the 28-200 would replace the 24-70 f4 i sold but i miss it. However i may also get the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 at some point, ill have to see how i get on over time with the 28 as my widest on my do-it-all lens.

Soldato
Tempted to order the Tamron 28-75 again rather than the 24-70 GM, it's more than £1000 more which doesn't seem worth it for a non professional.

Caporegime
Tempted to order the Tamron 28-75 again rather than the 24-70 GM, it's more than £1000 more which doesn't seem worth it for a non professional.

I would wait until tomorrow and see how the sigma 28-70 performs. It could be a better buy than the Tamron.

The 24-70GM certainly isnt worth the extra over the Tamron. Its barely sharper and as the oldest GM lens really showing its age with (slow) AF motors. Its screaming out for Sony to release a Mark 2 along with a Mark 2 70-200 F2.8. They are both the weakest GM lenses Sony makes.

Soldato
I would wait until tomorrow and see how the sigma 28-70 performs. It could be a better buy than the Tamron.

The 24-70GM certainly isnt worth the extra over the Tamron. Its barely sharper and as the oldest GM lens really showing its age with (slow) AF motors. Its screaming out for Sony to release a Mark 2 along with a Mark 2 70-200 F2.8. They are both the weakest GM lenses Sony makes.
Yeah i'll wait for the reviews. I'd probably get the GM if i could pick one up for say £800 only because it would be nice to own only GM lenses. :p

In other news, i have a package waiting for me at the depot so fingers crossed it's my 24mm GM!

Soldato

Well there is also the Sigma 24-70 2.8 which is supposed to be excellent. The only bad thing I've read about it is that it picks up dust easily.

It was what I was going to buy but it doesn't seem available where I am at the moment.

I'm put off by the general build, look, feel (not that I've touched one) of the Tamron.

It will be interesting to see how the Sigma 28-70 performs. I'm surprised they are releasing it, I doubt it's going to be more than a couple hundred less than the 24-70 and 24mm at the wide end gives you so much more.

Caporegime
Well there is also the Sigma 24-70 2.8 which is supposed to be excellent. The only bad thing I've read about it is that it picks up dust easily.

It was what I was going to buy but it doesn't seem available where I am at the moment.

I'm put off by the general build, look, feel (not that I've touched one) of the Tamron.

It will be interesting to see how the Sigma 28-70 performs. I'm surprised they are releasing it, I doubt it's going to be more than a couple hundred less than the 24-70 and 24mm at the wide end gives you so much more.

£200 less than the 24-70 f2.8 which seems fair. Its much smaller and lighter though. But i agree, i love the 24mm end which is why i own a Sony 24mm GM lens ;)

Caporegime
Finally got round to ordering the 20mm f1.8 should be perfect for my hiking trips, when were eventually allowed back out.
The IQ of it is stunning... it is REALLY sharp. I now have the:

20mm f1.8
35mm f1.8
85mm f1.8

All three are fantastic and I think the the overall benefit from getting the 1.4 models is negligible outside of the extra stop of light if you really need it (and are fine with the resulting additional weight). In terms of IQ, it doesn't get much better than what Sony have done with these 1.8's.

Soldato
The Sigma doesn't appear that special on the reviews I've seen. Seems like a mixed bag. Cats eyes wide open, corner softness (at all stops at 70mm), and mad crazy distortion (though that doesn't matter too much).

Seems to need to be stopped down a fair amount, which begs the question of why buy the 2.8

The Tamron appears better. Seems the only reason to choose it over the Tamron is that it has the focus, zoom rings in the correct order, and it's slightly lighter. I also understand it isn't properly weather sealed, only the mount is.

That being said, the example images do look nice with good contrast and colour, so the issues noted in reviews don't seem to be a problem practically.

I'd still get the 24-70 since $200 (difference) is practically nothing these days. This one however would be a nice upgrade from the Sony 28-70 kit lens. I think it should have been priced closer to £500 rather than $750. Perhaps we'll see the price drop over time.

Caporegime
Yeah slightly disappointed in the reviews. Like you say the Tamron is the better buy without doubt or stump up the extra for the Sigma 24-70 (its been out long enough that I doubt the price difference is £200 anymore anyway) . Still not worth the GM price though unless you are a pro./

Soldato

20mm f1.8
35mm f1.8
85mm f1.8

All three are fantastic and I think the the overall benefit from getting the 1.4 models is negligible outside of the extra stop of light if you really need it (and are fine with the resulting additional weight). In terms of IQ, it doesn't get much better than what Sony have done with these 1.8's.
Next lens on my list is the Voigtlander 35 f1.2 for night time use.

Caporegime

20mm f1.8
35mm f1.8
85mm f1.8

Sony really nailed it with their F1.8 lens. They are all gems and incredible value for money.

Associate
Apparently the best selling lens in the world, which is crazy considering. I do prefer the look of the Sigma. The Sigma also has an AF/MF button for those that use one.

Me too but lack of weather sealing is going to be a problem ,ill stick with my tamron 28-75mm ,but more important where is the 70-200mm sigma art can i wait ,or just get the tamron 70-180mm and finish my trinity?

Caporegime
The 28-75 Tamron is my best general purpose lens. It's never let me down. I've even won two competitions with it and I wouldn't change it for anything.
It has a great, magazine-esque colour tone to it that is really good for studio shooting. Fantastic and versatile lens that everyone should own imo.

Associate
Apparently the best selling lens in the world, which is crazy considering. I do prefer the look of the Sigma. The Sigma also has an AF/MF button for those that use one.
The 28-75 Tamron is my best general purpose lens. It's never let me down. I've even won two competitions with it and I wouldn't change it for anything.
It has a great, magazine-esque colour tone to it that is really good for studio shooting. Fantastic and versatile lens that everyone should own imo.

OI! Stop it! Just stop!

Soldato
Id miss the 24-27 range. Was happy to sacrifice it on the 28-200 but i definitely miss it.
I think these 28+ lenses suite people that prefer the longer end of that range, when i had a 24-70 the majority of my shots are at the wide end.

My absolute ultimate lens would be something like a 20-60 or there abouts. Really looking forward to my 20mm coming, being limited to 28mm widest for too long now.

Back
Top Bottom