****The Sony RX100 Series Owners and Tips Thread****

Soldato
Bought a lens mate filter adapter online and works brilliantly. Only caveat is it can show up if you use the built in flash (at least on the M4).

Been looking at these - did you buy direct or UK based supplier please ?

And how robust are they when attached? My old MkI lives in my pocket and a bit concerned it will come off !

Cheers :)

Associate
Any recommendation whether to grab the Mark 1 or Mark 2 for your basic days out snaps of friends and family? The articulated screen, WiFi and hot-shoe warrant jumping on that instead of the lighter Mark 1 or ignore both and get the MK3?

Soldato
Any recommendation whether to grab the Mark 1 or Mark 2 for your basic days out snaps of friends and family? The articulated screen, WiFi and hot-shoe warrant jumping on that instead of the lighter Mark 1 or ignore both and get the MK3?

I wasn't aware there was any image quality difference between the Mark 3 and Mark 2 except for viewfinder, video, aperture and included ND filter so I went for the Mark ii?

Last edited:
Soldato
MKIII has a Electronic Viewfinder, which is something I use a lot on mine to compose shots in bright light. Also has a built in 3 stop ND filter, which is useful.

One other thing to mention which might sway you either way - the lens is longer on the MKII at 28mm-100mm (equiv.) compared to the slightly wider (but shorter on the long end) 24-70mm of the MKIII.

Associate
Been looking at these - did you buy direct or UK based supplier please ?

And how robust are they when attached? My old MkI lives in my pocket and a bit concerned it will come off !

Cheers :)

Bought directly from the website, link in the post. Was in Australia at the time and their post is rubbish but came out pretty fast. I'll get a couple of pics of the front of the camera this evening to show you if you want. When the adaptors are off, the adaptor that stays on is barely noticeable. With the filter on, it's more obvious but not too bad. Does get in the way of the flash if you try to use flash with the filter on (not really sure why you would want to, to be honest).

And seem robust enough. With the filter off, you hardly notice it, the adaptor ring is very slim and sticks on very firmly. The filter doesn't add on awful lot on the front. If you're really cool and wear skinny jeans , you might struggle a bit. I'm okay in my less trendy jeans...

Definitely worth the money in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
Associate
Excellent, thank you that great and some pics would be appreciated

Also no risk if skinny jeans (or skinny anything) here :D

Cheers!

6B8832E6-FE50-4B4C-BB3C-BB646B18EDDA.jpg

19B69691-09FB-4691-A962-0B0CA5BA2968.jpg

42D31795-9CB1-4D45-AAA8-042CEF0A5875.jpg

8905294F-B561-4193-AAAF-D1C04073E8A0.jpg

90939947-04B7-430A-BE2F-B107B227D6DE.jpg

96D480E0-1962-458F-9F9F-489D73E9E015.jpg

Let me know if you want any more pics. Personally, I think a very good buy.

And no?
rag-bone-back-pockets-skinny-jeans.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Let me/the forum know if you find a slimline one and you think there is any benefit over the one I have. I appreciated the polarising one particularly as I was in a high contrast South Pacific island :)

Will put a couple of pics of said holiday up online when I come back from my next holiday, was certainly very impressed with the quality of the images. Don't mind lugging my 5D around with me, but there is something nice about a very pocketable camera you can just throw in your (non-skinny) jeans.

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure but thought was a finger mark or something but when wouldn't rub off.... Always covered too or in case if off. Fortunately was so overcast for most of the weekend, I didn't need it. Did take a few with it so will be going through those when work allows.

Awesome ones with my 5D but only had a 50mm prime (went swimming with my other lenses �� ) so needed something with a bit more width. Plus the multi shot night mode thingy works very well. And obviously it's way more portable!

Associate
Do we have anyone in here thats moved to just a Sony RX from something more serious?

Im considering ditching my X-pro1 for a sony rx as i so rarely take a bag anywhere with me anymore

Soldato
is there a way to configure back button focus on the mk2 at all?

Im not sure there is on the Mk1 - not sure about the Mk2

Do we have anyone in here thats moved to just a Sony RX from something more serious?

Im considering ditching my X-pro1 for a sony rx as i so rarely take a bag anywhere with me anymore

No, although I use my D7100 a lot less now

However always love using it again when I do pick it up and use it !

Associate
is there a way to configure back button focus on the mk2 at all?

Maybe try this right at the bottom, sort of does what you want.

Edit: need to change the focus to fixed/centre focus point to get this to work.

Like above, I use mine a bit less but still love my 5D and the lenses I have with it. I bought the RX100 as a stop gap whilst my gear was being desubmerged, but it's definitely useful having a great little camera I can fit in a pocket easily, knowing it takes great pictures. It won't ever be a DSLR but then it's not trying to be and I don't expect it to be. Horses for courses really!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom