The Spotify app rocks!

Associate
Well I just got an ipod touch 64gb as a result of finding out spotify is now available as an app on itunes for the iphone and touch. I am totally amazed by it. It's obviously in an early build state and yet you can seamlessly play whatever you want. The real kicker though is the fact it lets you download albums for offline listening. I imagine this isn't really needed when you have a 3g iphone though.

Just wondered how many people here are also feeling this app? I keep telling my mates about it because it is so incredibly unique. Having the ability to download dozens of albums (all at 320kbps) in less time than it takes to make a tea directly onto your ipod/phone via wifi and then being able to go away and listen to them is just total sickness. Obviously, you pay 9.99 a month for it but I'm just really hoping it takes off cos I don't think I will ever be able to go back to the old way now.

Associate
OP
It's up to 320kbps so there is likely stuff out there that is 128kbps etc. However, I'm pretty certain most stuff is the full 320. I have an ear for it and have noticed incredible quality audio for the newly released albums I've downloaded. DRM wise, there doesn't seem to be any problem from my perspective. Once it's on your ipod/touch it plays whenever you want and stays in memory for as long as you want within the spotify app cache.

I've just noticed that playlists you create within the app also appear on the pc/mac software.

Associate
The iphone offline cache is ALL stored at 160kbps. the streaming may be higher though i doubt it. Only the desktop has 320kbps.

Associate
OP
The iphone offline cache is ALL stored at 160kbps. the streaming may be higher though i doubt it. Only the desktop has 320kbps.

I suppose that makes sense, bearing in mind the file sizes. This might get changed in the future as I'm sure it would be possible. Even at 160 though, it sounds incredible to me.

Associate
OP
Yes it is OGG. The quality surpasses MP3 by a mile. I am used to listening to FLAC files on a Cowon and even I'm impressed by it.

Soldato
If this was a £9.99 App with a monthly sub of £2.99 I would jump on it and so would quite a few folk I know but £9.99 a month is too much for music. Rightly or wrongly most people I know don't pay for music and certainly wouldn't spend £120 a year on it.

Associate
I've just caved in and bought the subscription after listening to a few new albums over and over with the spotify software + adverts. For £9.99 a month I can justify paying since I normally end up buying a few CD's every now and then, which add up to more than £10 a month. The sounds quality is more than good enough for me and have my offline playlists saved. Can't wait to use this more and more :) Cracking app!

Soldato
Don't think I could go back to having adverts on Spotify and I use the app all the time so it seemed justified to me. I subscribed when they added the higher bitrate on desktop for subscribers.

Associate
The desktop version seems to pause the ads if you turn the volume down too quickly, too. It might just be me, but I swear you don't get ads nearly as often if you skip to a new track just before the previous one finishes!

Man of Honour
I'm a massive fan of the free desktop version of Spotify. But at £9.99 I won't subscribe unless I get to keep the music I download. I'd be tempted at £5 but not £10 unless the music becomes mine permanently.

Soldato
£10 is very reasonable imo. a huge catalogue of music for the price of an album. people pay similar rates for things like lovefilm and they have waiting lists to wait on and posting of stuff to do. limited to 3 at a time etc.

i find it hard to believe that any real music fans wouldn't normally spend a tenner a month on music. whether it be cds/vinyls/downloads

I'm a massive fan of the free desktop version of Spotify. But at £9.99 I won't subscribe unless I get to keep the music I download. I'd be tempted at £5 but not £10 unless the music becomes mine permanently.

why would you need to own it when its there for you to listen too whenever you want anyway ?

theyd never be able to run the service if they let you keep the files. people would just sign up for a month . download 100 albums and then leave.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom