The Syla5 Files: Home gym addition

Caporegime
Your sets for bench make no sense, no idea why you hit 100kg then do "working sets" afterwards.

Saying that, also find it hilarious how you find 80kg for 3 tough, then manage 100kg for 2!

It's a training method, it theoretically makes the working sets 'feel' lighter due to the drop in weight.

There is obviously more to it than that though :p

Soldato
Sounds rubbish :p the exercise pattern doesn't make sense either - don't understand why you bench, then focus on triceps, then do a bench exercise again, then a tricep/pec exercise to finish with.

Man of Honour
Well it depends on training goals. A standard pyramid or flat set/rep protocol doesn't always offer the best results as you're fatigued by the time you get to your 3-5RM. So I can see why professionals have come up with alternatives to use different muscle fibre types, and different CNS involvement by doing low volume heavy sets, followed by effectively a drop set of working sets.

It's just a variation of a theme. Not one style of progressive overload works for everyone, and that does at least offer some volume and some intensity.

Soldato
OP
Your sets for bench make no sense, no idea why you hit 100kg then do "working sets" afterwards.
Saying that, also find it hilarious how you find 80kg for 3 tough, then manage 100kg for 2!

"sarcastic reply"
Because no one ever works up to heavy singles and then dials back for working sets....

"genuine reply"
They make perfect sense, I want to work primarily on a bit more volume but I don’t want to lose touch with the feeling of the top end. Hitting the heavy reps first means I have the most energy for them and fatigue is not an issue so I can keep tighter and controlled reducing any injury risk. The heavier reps get the blood flowing and the volume work does the job. These reps are 90% RM not all out PB's.

If you note I said I have a cold coming and 60 felt heavy, this is comparing how it felt to last weeks 60. Everyone can relate to this, when the same weight from one session to the next can feel heavier or lighter depending on how your feeling, mood, mind set, sleep or food intake etc.
I didn’t say the 80 was tough, I said after the set I knew the 90 and 100's were going to be tough, and they were. 90 for 2 the second rep was grindy as hell, and 100 was 1 + 1 not a double, re racked between reps but straight un-rack again.

Even though the heavier stuff felt tougher than the previous week I still managed to add some weight to the working sets and plough through them.

Soldato
OP
Sounds rubbish :p the exercise pattern doesn't make sense either - don't understand why you bench, then focus on triceps, then do a bench exercise again, then a tricep/pec exercise to finish with.

There is nothing wrong with the exercise pattern. Bench and CGBP are compound movements that both hit the chest, CGBP less so then bench but still significantlly not to be classed as a tricep isolation that have no carry over to chest at all.

Dips are also a compound movement and still great for chest activation.

You may notice that i dont do any tricep isolation, or if i do its finisher work, so every exercise i do hits my chest. I can see why on it makes no sense that all my exercises hit the chest on chest day...

Soldato
See I'd have thought the blood gets pumping from high volume, not a couple of reps at high weight.

As for the CGBP, yes thanks for the lesson. Obviously it's down to different training styles - I prefer to exhaust muscles and move on after, I would just prefer to focus on chest-orientated compound exercises before tricep-orientated compound exercises.

You do have a habit of putting words in to people's mouth - certainly didn't say CGBP is an isolation exercise and that dips don't generate good chest activation :p

Soldato
OP
See I'd have thought the blood gets pumping from high volume, not a couple of reps at high weight.

For me the high rep work fatigues me out and doesnt really get me hyped up (probably a better way of putting it then blood flowing) like heavy work does.

As for the CGBP, yes thanks for the lesson. Obviously it's down to different training styles - I prefer to exhaust muscles and move on after, I would just prefer to focus on chest-orientated compound exercises before tricep-orientated compound exercises.

Bingo, what works for you and makes sense for you doesnt work for me. You've always been a repping machine and can smash out the volume, where as I dont get on well with volume so approach it from a different direction.

You do have a habit of putting words in to people's mouth - certainly didn't say CGBP is an isolation exercise and that dips don't generate good chest activation :p

I no more put words in your mouth then you tried to make out my approach was idiotic, so touche my friend ;)

Soldato
Lerhaps I do write as fact but this is the Internet and anyone's opinion is always the correct opinion when given on a messaging board :p

Strong benching either way, I still can't rep 100kg comfortably.

Soldato
OP
I always find it interesting how you can rep so close to your maxes, and my maxes are so far away from what I can rep. I still reckon your benching is better then you give yourself credit for, and its probably a mental hurdle rather then a physical one that makes 100+ feel uncomfortable for you.

Soldato
Benched 90kg for 8 reps today. Wasn't easy, but far from tough. Few weeks back I went and benched 100kg. Just scraped 2 reps. Think I've got some severe mental block going on there!

Soldato
OP
Benched 90kg for 8 reps today. Wasn't easy, but far from tough. Few weeks back I went and benched 100kg. Just scraped 2 reps. Think I've got some severe mental block going on there!

Another reason I keep working up to the heavy singles is so I can get used to the loads and hit them regularly, help keep the mind fresh to how it feels.

Skillmister, get back on it!

Soldato
OP
14/10/15
mixing it up a little, not deadlifted in ages and my knee is not feeling up to squatting so gonna do some back work

Warm ups

Deadlift
60x10/10
80x5
100x4
120x2
140x1
150x1 - oooffff was not a pretty rep! heaviest ive DL'ed in a long time, i blame MoNkEe for this madness..
100x5/5/5/5/5

BOR
70x8/8/8/8

Red Band Rows SS Face Pulls
15+10/15+10/15+10

Lat Pull Over
15x10
20x10/10

Pull ups (assited purple band)
10/10

Knee - since the weather has gotten a bit colder my knee has tightned up again. Pressure pain has almost gone but my ITB area on the outside of my knee is back to being super tight and uncomfortable. Hopefully this is a case of two steps forward one back....

Caporegime
How are you glutes? Try rolling the buggery out of them.

Have you thought about extra layers around your knees to keep them warm? Either sleeves or simple medical bandage stuff? I know Toby used to do leg extensions to warm up his knees, perhaps look at something like that?

Soldato
OP
Glutes are fine, i honestly think its tied in to quad/hammy/lower leg tightness in my left leg that i have really ignored. I need to get hands laid on me for an expert opinion, and i should stop thinking that its going to resolve its self!

Back
Top Bottom