1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Trump presidency

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by datalol-jack, 21 Nov 2016.

1. plasmahal

Mobster

Well his hard core supporters will.

I'm unsure which way it will go in November, hence why I think the debates could be a deciding factor, myself included.

2. Maccy

Commissario

Reminder of the rules in here guys or incoming thread bans/suspensions...

3. plasmahal

Mobster

Anyone else care to speculate as to why Biden is continually delaying announcing his VP pick?

It seems his campaign insist the VP to be a woman of colour.

To me it seems the DNC are making the choice.

4. Murphy

Mobster

If they were doing it to the same degree as Trump I'm sure people would mention it, however when you've got Desperate Dan eating all the pies people tend not to notice someone eating a few crumbs.

You're essentially drawing another false equivalence, someone who steals a grape from their local supermarket is not, and should not, be compared to the great train robbers.

Do you think the likes of Pelosi, Schumer and Biden throw insults via media to the same degree as Trump?

Last edited: 3 Aug 2020
  5. The Geezer

Mobster

NO - it doesn't change the election date

6. doodah

Capodecina

There's a 99% chance it will be an uninspiring choice, perhaps ever so slightly less of a wet flannel and establishment hack that was Tim Kaine. Rumours are it was meant to be announced (Harris) two days ago but Politico inadvertently released the story too early OR that the Biden team was trying a litmus test. She's not the worst candidate but still a pretty poor one IMO. I can't help but think all of those campaign advisers telling Joe - "pick her, she's a woman and black - they'll lap that right up".

7. Greebo

Caporegime

I presume its because he still hasnt made his mind up? Now that is either because there is no one super strong candidate or that they are all so strong/mediocre there is nothing to make any of them stand out.

In 2008 and 2012 the VP was only announced a few days before the convention date so he is plenty of time left.

Plus the longer he leaves the less of a target it will be for Trump while he is scratching around desperately to try and deflect from his own failings.

Plus not sure where you got your info from. From what I read the DNC are pushing that it should be a woman of colour and Biden has pushed back saying he has his own mind and he will decide who will be his VP, not them.

8. DisrupTor75

Mobster

More likely it will be his donors who decide his VP choice. He may be a better alternative to Trump but Biden has always been a corporate lapdog.

9. Murphy

Mobster

Remind me what Trump did before becoming POTUS?

10. doodah

Capodecina

I will believe this more any day of the week. So much of American politics is beholden to donors. There's a rumour one of the WS banks had a saying in Obama's cabinet but not sure if it's completely accurate.
    Went bankrupt a number of times, acting creepy with his daughter and ripped people off.

11. Sankari

Caporegime

Donors determine policy, not VPs. This is one pick that is virtually guaranteed to be Biden's own, which is why he's taking such care to get it right.

12. doodah

Capodecina

That means Hillary actually thought Tim Kaine was the best VP pick :o:p:p:p:p. For a veteran politician, that's a lousy choice.

13. Sankari

Caporegime

She saw him as a politically safe pick, which he was. Unfortunately he just wasn't very interesting.

14. doodah

Capodecina

Bless Joe Scarborough - he still hopes the GOP will do the right thing.

People currently running the GOP don't suddenly become good people. They are rotten to the core.

15. JeditOjanen

Soldato

But there comes a point where not interrupting is your own bad move. Keir Starmer already did that when he refused to criticise the government's performance on COVID - the stupid ambulatory haircut even said he would have done the same things as Boris but where Boris did them because he was stupid, Starmer would do them knowing they were bad. If you sit on your hands and let the other guy kill people, sooner or later the electorate will wonder if you even care.

16. JeditOjanen

Soldato

You forgot to post the other pick that his people released, where they'd cloned the crowd. I'm afraid I don't have it to hand.

17. Pottsey

Mobster

As I pointed out in my last post which you seem to have ignored Biden he has done a lot in his campaign. Trump is the one who has nearly done nothing. As I said in my last post Trumps party has been split with one side abandoning him. Biden has been targeting the Republicans that no longer support Trump which has caused Trumps core base to shrink a noticeable amount. Key states that have in the past always been hardcore Republican and never even came close to flipping are now showing signs of flipping away from Republican all due to Trump.

The recent data shows that Biden campaign which you falsely say has done nothing is actually eating into Trumps hardcore base by a noticeable amount. One example being the Rust Belt. Trump abandoned them breaking all his campaign promises along with Bidens campaign and the anti Trump Republican campaign pushing into the Rush belt.

https://www.fandm.edu/uploads/files/90560429767618014-f-m-poll-release-july-2020.pdf Biden at 50% to President Donald Trump's 41% and this was hardcore Trump last time around. Trump won the 2016 election in one key part from the Rustbelt which looks to be a major loss to Trump. It looks like Biden easiest way to win is to focus on Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin all 3 states with currently show multiple different polling data favoring Biden. The trend has been a clear Biden's upward trajectory while Trump is falling without any signs of a counter plan. The data shows Biden's rise over Clinton in these states is clear enough that it's well outside the range of any statistical anomaly

Pennsylvania Turmp won by 15poitns last time and is currently 3 points behind and dropping
    Wisconsin Trump took them by 7 points last time and current 6 points behind and dropping

Two of many examples.

There is nothing to speculate its common sense. Last week Biden said he is narrowing down the list and not to expect a pick this week. Once the list is narrowed down everyone has to submit a lot of data including any tax and business records, background on their wealth and family. They are also instructed to disclose information about their record in politics, their references and other documents all of this takes time. If 1 person has a delay or doesn't hand in the information then the entire process is delayed. Its not just writing a list of names and crossing them out. There has to be a full background check on each person and that takes time.

18. DisrupTor75

Mobster

That could well be true as Obama did bring in a bunch of Goldman Sach's (and other banking/finance firms) minions just like Trump has but then again GS has always had a heavy influence within US politics.

It's possible he will try and resist bending to the will of the donors but Bidens track record seems to point towards him doing what he's told. Still, would be nice to see someone say no to the donors for once but I doubt Biden will be the one to do it. :p

Meanwhile Trump seems (so far) to be out of gas, just going on and on about the same old thing while the country burns down around him. If he want's to make a fight of this election he better pull his proverbial finger out.

19. Apex

Capodecina

Have you checked the polls lately. What the voters want is Biden, overwhelmingly it would seem.

20. do_ron_ron

Capodecina

This is why Trump will not get elected

Pushing for the end of lockdown too early which saw a virus maily in a few hotspots go to a full countrywide hotspot.