The µ43 thread - welcome to the really dark side

ajf

ajf

Soldato
I posted this in the Macro thread but maybe better to ask here:

Could someone suggest a nice flash to use for macro with my PEN E-PL5? I feel I'm missing out massively without one.

A lot of people seemed to recommend this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metz-MS-1-Digital-Macroflash-Flashgun/dp/B001H33XGW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top Would this work with the E-PL5 (Couldn't find a definitive answer on google, but I think it should)? Or is it better to go for a standard Olympus flash with a diffuser?

I haven't got a ring flash but have used my Yongnuo Canon flash off camera.
I use the E-PL5 flash to trigger it and just shade it enough to avoid excessive light.
Seems to do the job OK and cheap!

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Those looking at macro, I have purchased one of the Raynox achromats, the DCR-250 and it is pretty good.
Used on the kit 40-150mm I can replicate the distance and magnification of my Canon Sigma 105mm.
The Raynox costs £40....
Initial tests don't show any noticeable quality issues.

Soldato
Those looking at macro, I have purchased one of the Raynox achromats, the DCR-250 and it is pretty good.
Used on the kit 40-150mm I can replicate the distance and magnification of my Canon Sigma 105mm.
The Raynox costs £40....
Initial tests don't show any noticeable quality issues.
I have that on my list of things to buy at some point. In the meanwhile, I have some extension tubes coming for a macro boost. Any sample pics?

Associate
Wow those pictures in full size are superb! Have they been post processed? Any sharpening?

Handheld?

Another question for you guys, especially you who have used a DSLR, how does the shallow DOF compare? What about bokeh?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Wow those pictures in full size are superb! Have they been post processed? Any sharpening?

Handheld?

Another question for you guys, especially you who have used a DSLR, how does the shallow DOF compare? What about bokeh?

Lens helps a lot with the DoF obviously. But even with the kit lens I have been impressed which is f/3.5

They aren't a fair comparison in a lot of ways. You're comparing £300 cameras to ones that cost nearly 10x that amount for the body alone. But coming from a long time DSLR user I have to say I'm genuinely impressed with not just the DoF but with the camera as a whole, they are on the whole a great little package. I'm itching to get a fast prime on mine. A 16-17mm fast prime might have to be my first lens purchase for it :)

ajf

ajf

Soldato

Handheld?

In answer to your questions, yes they are processed as I shoot raw. Nothing more than I have ever done to other photos though. if I get chance tomorrow I'll post an unprocessed version.
They were taken on a tripod with manual focus. Auto focus does work to a degree but the dof is so shallow handheld for the real close ups is not practical

As above, even the kit 14-42 wide open gives reasonable dof effect.
I've just bought a 50mm f1.8 Pentacon though to try too having seen the results elsewhere in this thread.
Give me some fun playing with manual focu and aperture for a change too!

Think this gives a fair idea of dof wide open at 42mm and f5.6 (no macro attachments)
Doronicum by -ajf.350d-

Associate

1551085.jpg

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-...=22191576489&gclid=clovuiav974cfevpwgodrsoahg

Back
Top Bottom