The µ43 thread - welcome to the really dark side

Soldato
I think it’s a combination of a lack of sharpness and contrast plus I don’t really get wide angled photography. I have to force myself to use it and just find it a chore.
Well, without some sky phenomenon photography need for ultra wide is lower and that 12mm gives quite decent wide angle for general use.

And there are times when even ultra wides don't cut it and you need straight away fisheye lens.
Like when northern lights cover whole sky except little at northern horizon. :p

Caporegime
Well, without some sky phenomenon photography need for ultra wide is lower and that 12mm gives quite decent wide angle for general use.

And there are times when even ultra wides don't cut it and you need straight away fisheye lens.
Like when northern lights cover whole sky except little at northern horizon. :p

That’s what I was thinking, the 12-40 goes pretty wide, is much more useful and doesn’t even cost a lot more. I got it for £440 grey import and looks like the 9-18 goes for about 300 on eBay. No brained for me.

Caporegime
Just boguht myself the olympus 75mm f1.8 again. I sold it last year to fund the em1 mark ii and miss it.

Took a punt and bought from eglobal for £420 new. Turns out they really do have uk stock and was delivered within one day and no import duty and VAT. Had been watching second hand ones sell for more in ebay so a bargain.

I fact I sold my old one last year for £440 so chuffed.

Caporegime
Just boguht myself the olympus 75mm f1.8 again. I sold it last year to fund the em1 mark ii and miss it.

Took a punt and bought from eglobal for £420 new. Turns out they really do have uk stock and was delivered within one day and no import duty and VAT. Had been watching second hand ones sell for more in ebay so a bargain.

I fact I sold my old one last year for £440 so chuffed.

Yeah it's not an easy lens to use but I love it, particularly out of doors it's sharpness is astounding.

Soldato
Can't say as I've had any instances of poor AF performance during stills use on my G85, but then I don't try to capture fast moving objects or use AFC.

I'm fully aware the video AF of Panasonic cameras (even including the GH5 with latest FW) leaves something to be desired. Hopefully, they're working on a hybrid PDAF/DFD system that we'll see next year.

I'm talking video. I find the photo AF really good, especially in low light.

The 42.5mm f1.7 does hold its value REALLY well. Every review says its possibly the BEST portrait lens. I've been trying to grab one on auction sites but they're never available for a decent price. Since I use the camera for work, I'm ideally looking for a minimum 20% price reduction if buying second hand and that number is no where to be seen.

The 12-35mm can be got second hand for round £540 which isn't too bad and I'm probably going to try and snap one up at some point but not in any rush given its f2.8. Really wish they'd pushed that that fstop for the mark 2 rather than going for a quick cashgrab.

My biggest concern with investing too heavily in panasonic glass is that they will never fix the video AF but I think its probably something I'll just learn to live with. Manual focus is fine when I'm holding it but ideally I like to give the camera to someone else to film which ends up with lots of ruined footage.

Ideally Sony or Canon sorts their stuff out in regards to build quality/ergonomics or in canon's case, just holding features back.. then I'll happily buy one of those and grab a sigma 18-35mm. At the moment 4k video is just TOO powerful in post. It turns horrendous footage into great footage with the ability to crop. I can literally just ask anyone to hold the camera and film wide open and I can do something with it in post.

If the G95 has 60fps 4k or 120fps 1080p + an improved AF, I will be ALL over it.

Associate
Should be able to get hands on with one on the weekend, one of the Lumix guys at Jessops has one on test. I really like the handling of the GH5 so this being similar suits me.

Might be a bit pricey though, not much more nets you an A7Rii and that's a bit more compelling for any serious work.

Soldato
Nope. Too big, too expensive, don’t think the sensor will be anything exciting.

Not sure where m43 is going with these big cameras to be honest. If I was going to splash that much cash I’d go for a Sony FF.

Is there really a big pro market for m43?
Human hand size hasn't decreased any, but definitely have troubles in understanding what Panasonic is doing.
GH3/4 had excellent balance between ergonomics and keeping size and weight lower than in same level DSLR.
Would have thought Panasonic to want to keep to that if they wanted to make GH5 as higher up model with this as replacement.

not much more nets you an A7Rii and that's a bit more compelling for any serious work.
Sony's weather sealing might be little leaky when even battery door lacks proper sealing...
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/20...ur-camera-wet-teardown-of-a-salty-sony-a7sii/

Associate
I suppose that Panasonic’s justification is that the GH5 as a flagship video camera sells for £1700, so a flagship stills camera should be £1500.... I do agree though, quite the bitter pill to swallow.

I am a little tempted, I do find the ergonomics of the GH5 to be pretty much spot on for me. Much as I love my D750 I find myself using the G80 an awful lot because I just enjoy shooting with it, comparatively small sensor or not.

Caporegime
To be fair the g9 matches or betters the gh5 with the exception of video in alll areas. And even then the video is close. It actually makes the gh5 look expensive.

Caporegime
To be fair the g9 matches or betters the gh5 with the exception of video in alll areas. And even then the video is close. It actually makes the gh5 look expensive.

Is there really a market for pro level stills cameras with an M43 sensor though? I can’t say I’ve ever seen a pro with one. I wouldn’t be investing in M43 at that price, it’s D500 or 6D mk II money.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Is there really a market for pro level stills cameras with an M43 sensor though? I can’t say I’ve ever seen a pro with one. I wouldn’t be investing in M43 at that price, it’s D500 or 6D mk II money.

You are probably right there. Pros dont mind the size and weight of proper gear. Me, Im not a pro, just a well off enthusiast and spent even more getting the em1 mark ii.

Don;t regret it though.

Caporegime
Heads up there are some cracking black Friday deals on Olympus stuff today with up to $200 off some lenses.

Unfortunately Olympus EU are giving us nothing.

But all the major outlets in the states have priced match Olympus today including ones that ship to the UK

For example the Olympys 30mm f3.5 macro lens is only £82.50 delivered to the UK including import taxes today from bhphotovideo :eek:

A steal for a lens which is still £249 everywhere in the UK. In fact used ones are still selling for up to £200 on Ebay so if you don;t like it, you would still make a profit selling it on. Or buy two and the profit from selling one will pay for yours.

Full list of discounts here

Cameras:
$300 off on the E-M1II at Amazon, BHphoto, Adorama and GetOlympus.
$300 off on the E-M5II at Adorama, BHphoto, Amazon, GetOlympus.
$100 off on the E-M10III at GetOlympus, BHphoto, Adorama and Amazon.
$100 off on the E-M10II at Adorama, BHphoto, Amazon, GetOlympus.
$200 off on the PEN-F at Bhphoto, Amazon, Adorama, GetOlympus.
$100 off on the E-PL8 at BHphoto, Amazon, Adorama, GetOlympus.

Lenses:
$200 off on the 7-14mm f/2.8 PRO lens at Amazon, Adorama, BHphoto and GetOlympus.
$200 off on the 8mm f/1.8 PRO lens at Amazon, Adorama, BHphoto and GetOlympus.
$150 off on the 9-18mm f/4.0-5.6 lens at Amazon, Adorama, BHphoto and GetOlympus.
$200 off on the 12mm f/2.0 lens at Amazon, Adorama, BHphoto and GetOlympus.
$200 off on the 12-40mm lens at Amazon, Adorama, BHphoto and GetOlympus.
$200 off on the 12-50mm lens at Amazon, Adorama, BHphoto and GetOlympus.
$150 off on the 14-42mm lens at Amazon, Adorama, BHphoto and GetOlympus.
$200 off on the 17mm f/1.8 lens at Amazon, Adorama, BHphoto and GetOlympus.
$200 off on the 25mm f/1.2 PRO at BHphoto, Adorama, Amazon, GetOlympus.
$200 off on the 25mm f/1.8 lens at Amazon, BHphoto, Adorama and GetOlympus.
$200 off on the 30mm macro at BHphoto, Adorama, Amazon, GetOlympus.
$200 off on the 40-150mm PRO lens at Amazon, Adorama, BHphoto and GetOlympus.
$100 off on the 40-150mm lens at Amazon, Adorama, BHphoto and GetOlympus.
$200 off on the 45mm f/1.8 lens at Amazon, Adorama, BHphoto and GetOlympus.
$200 off on the 60mm lens at Amazon, Adorama, BHphoto and GetOlympus.
$200 off on the 75mm f/1.8 lens at Amazon, Adorama, BHphoto and GetOlympus.
$150 off on the 75-300mm lens at Amazon, Adorama, BHphoto and GetOlympus.

Last edited:
Soldato
I picked up the 42.5mm f1.7 for my G85. I also have the 25mm f1.7 and I feel quite equipped now in a variety of circumstances to get some really good quality snaps.

I'm eyeing up the 35mm-100mm next. Although the 12-35mm seems like the more logical replacement, I think the 25 + 42.5 are more than adequete for stuff fairly close to me whilst a 35-100 will be very interesting if I go to football games etc.

Caporegime
Looking on MPB Photographic, they have the Olympus HLD-8 going for just under £100. I'll pick one up in the new year I think. It's time. :)

Still itching for a new lens, but I am so undecided on what :o

Caporegime
You should have grabbed a bargain during black friday. I bought the Olympus f3.5 30mm macro for £82.50. Worth a punt at that price since its £249 everywhere normally. :)

The 25mm f1.2 and 12-100 f4IS are both on offer at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom