1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The µ43 thread - welcome to the really dark side

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by King4aDay, 12 May 2014.

1. Phate

Caporegime

Update, Lens in fact got delivered Tuesday afternoon. So thats less than a weeks turn around for repair. And yes, it was free.

Really impressed with Olympus' customer service. :cool:

2. Minstadave

Caporegime

I ditch the 12mm and like you say swap the 14-150 for the 40-150. Should net you some money to cover the 12-40.

3. Greebo

Caporegime

Like Dave said, swap the 14-150 for the 40-150.

As for the rest depends what kind of shots do you take? Check your saved pics exif. If you barely shoot at f2 on the 12mm or f1.8 on the 17mm then both of those can go now you have the 12-40 pro. The 17mm and 12mm are sharper than the 12-40 pro lens granted but the 12-40 pro is pretty damn sharp and one of the best standard zooms of any system.

The other advantage to the primes are their size and weight though if you like to go our with just one lens on your body.

Just seen you said Astro shots. The 12mmi found is much better lens for Astro work but all depends if you like the wide angle (I did for how much of the Milky Way you could get in a shot until I bought the 7.5mm so I got even more)

4. uv

Sgarrista

I got the 17mm super cheap as it looked damaged - and I've found that after a while the MF clutch has stopped working. I can still manually focus using the focus ring, but it's probably not worth selling now - I'll just keep it as my evening standard lens. Reckon I'll swap out the 14-150 for either a 40-150 or a 70-300, and get rid of the Samyang as it's worth a fair chunk and I don't think the 1 stop extra will make much difference over the 12-40 pro.

Anyone have any thoughts on a 70-300 vs the 40-150? It's not a focus length I've used before so I've no idea yet if I'd use the extra reach!

5. Siliconslave

Man of Honour

just upgraded (from a veeeeery old d40x) to a new e-m10 mark2 with the m.zuiko 14-42 & 75-300mm

[​IMG]

Only had a bit of a play with it but very pleased so far
    [​IMG]

6. EGuitarStar

Mobster

Nice buy coupled with the lens.

Just a question why not the Mark 3 instead? Other than price and 4k was there a reason?

7. Siliconslave

Man of Honour

didn't feel the extra cost was worth it with the changes plus you can't get the grip for the mark 3 an I preferred the larger hand hold :)

8. Phate

Caporegime

Hey guys, a quick one. Has anyone experimented with geotagging/gps location logging on the Olympus camera? I've got the EM5 Mkii and if its not difficult to do/expensive, it would be a nice thing to do! Especially for a big holiday, I am planning next year :)

Also keep looking at lens pr0n lately...I want the 75mm f/1.8....hard :cool:

9. Minstadave

Caporegime

75mm is my favourite lens, I don’t use it often because it’s an odd focal length but it takes lovely pictures.

10. Phate

Caporegime

Good to hear!

Do you know the going 2nd hand rate these days? Although brand new of 500GBP isn't exactly bank breaking either.

11. Minstadave

Caporegime

Second hand seems roughly £450 on the bay which is the same a new grey import. There's a £380 one but its beat up.

The JJC lens hood is just as good as the Oly one.

12. Phate

Caporegime

Yeah I was taking a look. MBP have them for £420 yet I can get from HDEW brand new for £499. At that difference...screw it I'll go brand new!

Looking at reviews, it seems comparable with the Canon 135L f/2. Which was one of my favourite lenses before. Thats a pretty big thing to me if they can compare it to that :)

13. Phate

Caporegime

Definitely did not just win a 100mm LEE Filter holder with 105mm Accessory ring off ebay. Nope :o

I feel this is the first step down yet another slippery path.

14. Phate

Caporegime

Been reading up a lot on the OM-D E-M1 Mkll recently...wow, didn't realise how much of a step up it was from my M5ll :)

Hoping for an M5 lll announcement this year. Got an upgrade itch :)

15. EGuitarStar

Mobster

Rumours state it that Olympus will not be announcing anything this year as they don't have any new cameras but will announce a new high end camera in the new year.

Panasonic on the other hand have their LX100 II and another rumour of a G90 which will be an upgrade to the G80, now this might be of interest to you.

16. Phate

Caporegime

Indeed, its odd as everything points to the E-M5 being revised any time now as its overdue, but Olympus are being very quiet. Yet with the releases of the 3 new PRO lenses earlier this year they're clearly still all for the format going forward.

I'll be interested in whatever they release next, especially if they can improve noise handling. Not that I dislike noise, it gives that nice film like grain, but if they could improve this electronically (meaning you could switch a feature on or off) that would be cool.

I am not up to date on Panasonics tbh. I only really found out about the G9 towards the end of the last week and its apparently the best around for video.

17. Spleen Sauce

Wise Guy

GH5 is still the best for video, G9 is aimed at stills shooters (and still a very competent video camera).

The Panasonics are just a joy to use. Easily the best touchscreen/menu interface of any camera I've used. Puts my A7R3 to absolute shame.

18. Phate

Caporegime

I will have to see about trying one in a store at some stage :)

19. EGuitarStar

Mobster

So with Panasonic now joining the FF bandwagon, I really hope that they don't abandon the system.

Have any of you m4/3 users jumped ship to FF or APSC yet?

20. Minstadave

Caporegime

I suspect it’ll just get slowly mothballed. It’s was going to happen sooner or later. Profits in the ILC market have been declining.