The µ43 thread - welcome to the really dark side

Soldato
Cheers for making my choices even worse now :p

Interesting you're both suggesting zooms rather than primes, is there any reason for this apart from the zoom giving more range choice at (usually) the cost of stops ?

Caporegime
Well as you're new to photography and you said yourself you're photographing a bit of everything, so zooms give you more options. I love primes more than zooms any day of the week, and once you've figured out what you're preference of shooting is, such as portraits, landscapes, street etc. Then you can purchase some tasty primes to compliment those needs :)

Just my thoughts and approach. :)

Soldato
Well as you're new to photography and you said yourself you're photographing a bit of everything, so zooms give you more options. I love primes more than zooms any day of the week, and once you've figured out what you're preference of shooting is, such as portraits, landscapes, street etc. Then you can purchase some tasty primes to compliment those needs :)

Just my thoughts and approach. :)

I won't be doing much street as it doesn't appeal to me, landscapes I know I'll be doing but I know I'll also be doing pictures of products and electronics components (why I want a macro) and also what Mike does in this vid

I don't mind zooms or primes but I don't really see the point in getting a zoom if I'm going to dump it for a Prime later on, I'd rather just get the Prime first if you get me

Caporegime
Cheers for making my choices even worse now :p

Interesting you're both suggesting zooms rather than primes, is there any reason for this apart from the zoom giving more range choice at (usually) the cost of stops ?

I started off with a zoom (14-140), bought a handful or primes (25, 45, 75) then added a 9-18 and finally bought the 12-40 F2.8.

Since finding the 12-40 I use it for 90% of my pics with the 25mm F1.4 being second place for some bokeh.

It’s much nicer not to have to carry a bag of lenses and juggle them day to day. I still use my primes but when going out for the day the 12-40 is so much easier.

Soldato
No need to be ashamed, we all understand :D

Not ashamed just disappointed I was too impatient to wait

I also discovered a treasure trove of FD lenses that my former grandad had stashed away at my nans, seems FD works quite well on M4/3 so I've ordered an adapter to give them a try, some nice focal ranges and some macro lenses too in what I found

Soldato
What's everyones favourite lens? I'm getting back into it.

Currently rocking the kit 14-42 on my E-M10, got the 17mm too but looking for a prime and a longer telephoto.

I'm currently eyeing up the Oly 75-300, not expecting pin sharp images but also planning on using this for video off a tripod at work.

What does everyone recommend? :p

Caporegime
The 75-300 is supposed to be good but don't forget thats effectively 150-600mm! Do you need THAT much length?

(insert gay pun here, badum-tsch!)

I have the Oly 7-14 f/2.8 PRO which is AMAZING for Landscape work. I also have the 12-40 f/2.8 PRO which is a fantastically sharp all-rounder walkaround lens. :)

Prime wise, I really fancy the 75mm f/1.8 - or a 25mm f/1.8

Telephoto, I'd get the 40-150 f/2.8 PRO

Yes...I like pro lenses :p

Soldato
The 75-300 is supposed to be good but don't forget thats effectively 150-600mm! Do you need THAT much length?

(insert gay pun here, badum-tsch!)

I have the Oly 7-14 f/2.8 PRO which is AMAZING for Landscape work. I also have the 12-40 f/2.8 PRO which is a fantastically sharp all-rounder walkaround lens. :)

Prime wise, I really fancy the 75mm f/1.8 - or a 25mm f/1.8

Telephoto, I'd get the 40-150 f/2.8 PRO

Yes...I like pro lenses :p
Although I can save the VAT, PRO lenses at this stage are very much out of my budget to be honest.

Most of my weekends are spent at a variety of car shows/motorsport events and with a good friend of mine a driver, it would be nice to get some decent shots of him round the track... It will also be used within my day job where our engineers work up masts/heights so it could come in useful there, we also will be using it for videos where I feel the 75-90 range will come in useful.

I'll keep an eye out on ebay :p The 7-14 is a big want of mine if I'm honest.

Caporegime
What's everyones favourite lens? I'm getting back into it.

Currently rocking the kit 14-42 on my E-M10, got the 17mm too but looking for a prime and a longer telephoto.

I'm currently eyeing up the Oly 75-300, not expecting pin sharp images but also planning on using this for video off a tripod at work.

What does everyone recommend? :p

The Oly 40-150R is a lovely cheap lens, I really like the colours from mine but sold it as I’ve got the 14-140II.

They’re only about £100 second hand too.

Soldato
Just after a 25mm now I think as a walk about.

I got my 25mm for £109 from Currys/PCWorld, I am certain someone must have marked it down accidentally on the website, also got the Panasonic 45-175 X Lens for £139 again, I think a mistake on pricing, this was a few months back, I keep on checking their website for other such bargains :)

The 25mm is a really sharp and budget friendly lens, also check out the Sigma DN A f2.8 19mm, 30mm and 60mm all £149.

Back
Top Bottom