The µ43 thread - welcome to the really dark side

Caporegime
I don't think its trying to compete with FF?

I see it as trying to offer the "best" possible image whilst retaining the benefits of m43 over full frame?

The problem is with the current push into high end bodies by both Oly and Pana they cost the same as FF, or more, so they'll always be compared. The bodies aren't much smaller if at all, although the lens size advantage is still significant, particularly in the telephoto range.

So even if Oly roll out a BSI m43 sensor in this new body which a bit more DR, it'll never set the world on fire whilst being 2k+. It won't have much size advantage with non-tele lenses.

I'd like to see more compact bodies which is where m43 really shines but that seems to have dwindled post the GM5.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The problem is with the current push into high end bodies by both Oly and Pana they cost the same as FF, or more, so they'll always be compared. The bodies aren't much smaller if at all, although the lens size advantage is still significant, particularly in the telephoto range.

So even if Oly roll out a BSI m43 sensor in this new body which a bit more DR, it'll never set the world on fire whilst being 2k+.

I'd like to see more compact bodies which is where m43 really shines but that seems to have dwindled post the GM5.
Agreed, I would be reluctant to drop 2k on a m43 body when I can get a Sony A7R3 for the same money.

What about the Olympus PEN-F? Isn't that the sensor of the E-M1 Mark II in a range finder body?

Caporegime
Agreed, I would be reluctant to drop 2k on a m43 body when I can get a Sony A7R3 for the same money.

What about the Olympus PEN-F? Isn't that the sensor of the E-M1 Mark II in a range finder body?

The PEN-F seems a better direction for Oly, smaller and has a cool factor. If they could weather seal that and stick this rumoured new sensor in it they'd sell really well. I'm surprised they've not done that already.

Caporegime
The PEN-F seems a better direction for Oly, smaller and has a cool factor. If they could weather seal that and stick this rumoured new sensor in it they'd sell really well. I'm surprised they've not done that already.
Id like to see what you describe but in 2 bodies. A Range finder PEN-F style and a more M5/M1 style body. Same camera, similar specs. But the biggest decider is whatever body preference you have. Whilst the PEN-F is cool, I prefer my M5 :p

Caporegime
Interesting but it'll still lag behind full frame even with a fancy new sensor. M43 pushing into the high end camera arena seems foolish.

Maybe only on iso noise and bokeh. You can’t cheat physics. But on everything else I am sure it will shine. I already miss focus stacking, pro capture, the ISIS, the FPS and small size since going over to the a7iii.

I am pretty sure Olympus with take the M43 to the next level with their next high end camera.

Last edited:
Associate

It is a great deal - just wish the 12-60 PanaLeica lens bundle was a bit cheaper and I’d probably pull the trigger. Still tempting to pick this up, claim the cash back, sell the kit lens and import the 12-60 Leica in grey. And then sell my G80...

Caporegime
It is a great deal - just wish the 12-60 PanaLeica lens bundle was a bit cheaper and I’d probably pull the trigger. Still tempting to pick this up, claim the cash back, sell the kit lens and import the 12-60 Leica in grey. And then sell my G80...

Thats what I'm planning. Sell the 12-60 and either my GX80 or GX8 and I won't be much out of pocket.

Proper excited.

Soldato
Just purchased the Panasonic Leica 12-60 f2.8-4 for £639 via the 5 month free installment plan (£127.80 / month) from Amazon and the Panasonic 42.5 f1.7 from Jessops for £238. Can't wait to get them and give them a try, got a trip to Dublin next week :D

Soldato
I tried out the Panasonic G9 with the Leica 12-60 it's like a perfect combination. The ergonomics of the G9 are so good. The camera is slightly larger than I had thought but the weight is spot on. I doubt the ergonomics would have been as good had they not made it the size it is. Can't justify the costs and the GX80 at the moment is serving me very well.

Also picked up my Pana 42.5 today, haven't really tried it out yet but hopefully will do over the weekend. Hoping the 12-60 will arrive by then as well.
ru8JwsF.jpg

Caporegime
So had a play and first thoughts:

It’s really just too big for an m43 camera, it’s bigger than my GX8 and that is on the chunky side. With my 12-40 on it looks ok, but smaller lenses look silly on it.
Because it’s big however the ergonomics are pretty sweet, although going to take some time to get used to it, loads of custom buttons to spare.
Viewfinder is massive! But the VF optics aren’t amazing, smearing visible in the corners and have to push your eye right upto the lens to get it all into view.
Love the dual card slots and in camera charging, this is a massive plus.
IBIS is a big step up over the GX8.

I haven’t actually taken any serious pics yet, will play more this weekend.

Can I complain for £800 with a £150 lens thrown in? Not really.

Big question is now is which camera to sell, the GX80 or the GX8. I think I’ll say goodbye to the GX8 as although I prefer the rangefinder format I don’t think it really offers anything over ther G9 apart from the flippy VF, which I like, but can live without.

Soldato
I think despite the large body you'll soon fall in love with the G9 and for the price you paid it is an absolute bargain.
Be sure to post the GX8 in the members market, I wouldn't mind adding the GX8 to my collection for £100 :p

One thing I didn't test was the high resolution mode on the G9, let us know how it is.

Back
Top Bottom