The UK Date format being replaced by the US style.

Associate
Death Star or Mount Doom, it depends on the day.
This is very much getting on my nerves at the moment and has been doing for a while. Granted, this is only a minor thing considering everything that is going on, but, why is this happening? You only have to turn on the TV to see examples of "November 20th" being stated. Not to mention that this seems to be standard practice for a lot of places now.

JUST STOP IT! Its wrong. Its not our format and it never has been.

Soldato
What's the issue with that.

It only becomes stupid when they do it like 11/20/20

(only that date is obvious. It's when its dates like 5/6/20......is that May or June?!)

I think i'd agree with this. It doesn't bother me with reading/hearing November 20th or 20th November. In date format it is annoying (11/20/20), should be 20/11/20 or universal 2020/11/20

Soldato
I'm not a fan of the US format at all, I like ours. For most business and education applications though, I think ISO 8601 is the superior format: 2020-11-20

Associate
I'm not a fan of the US format at all, I like ours. For most business and education applications though, I think ISO 8601 is the superior format: 2020-11-20
Plus ISO dates (or East Asian as I like to sometimes call them) has the advantage that the characters are all valid in just about any filesystem and when sorted alphabetically they are sorted by date too.

Soldato

Agreed, no way of misinterpreting them then as well. Perfect! If we ever start a moon or mars nation that should be the format they go with from the beginning.

Man of Honour

I agree that you have to hesitate and think when faced with the configuration of U.S. dates, but I took a flight years ago from St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands to Nassau, Bahamas on a small passenger plane.
At check-in, the clerk asked my weight, as I guess a smaller plane’s weight distribution or total weight has to be considered.
I answered, “10 stone 13”, and he looked puzzled, so I said, “69 and a bit kilograms?”
He said, “What is that in pounds sir?”
I had to step aside and work it out mentally, 14 lbs = 1 stone, so it’s 10 x 14 = 140 +13, ergo 153 pounds!

Soldato
I agree that you have to hesitate and think when faced with the configuration of U.S. dates, but I took a flight years ago from St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands to Nassau, Bahamas on a small passenger plane.
At check-in, the clerk asked my weight, as I guess a smaller plane’s weight distribution or total weight has to be considered.
I answered, “10 stone 13”, and he looked puzzled, so I said, “69 and a bit kilograms?”
He said, “What is that in pounds sir?”
I had to step aside and work it out mentally, 14 lbs = 1 stone, so it’s 10 x 14 = 140 +13, ergo 153 pounds!
The US has a lot of unique units, I suppose we do in the UK but things like kips, kilo pounds force but also used as 1000 pounds weight. A kind of metric imperial measure. Half a short ton of 2000lbs. The British ton of 2240lbs (20 hundredweight) became the tonne 2200lbs = 1000kg so I suppose we are no better.;)

Back
Top Bottom