*** The Windows XP x64 Thread ***

Av8

Av8

Associate
Hope i'm posting in the correct thread, but as it's xp64 related and lot's of peeps here are using xp64...........got a few questions

A) I have been running xp64 for a while like many others here, but i have the problem of not being able to play Splinter Cell Chaos Theory in xp64. Even with the program compatibility wizard, and also i can't create a new partition on my 250gb drive within xp's disk management or through partition magic 8.

Can anyone please give me some advice about these problems, and how to rectify these. Apart from the obvious, and not play Chaos Theory all replies greatly received
biggrin.gif

Caporegime
I'm sad to say that you cannot play SC:CT in x64. The reason is the copy protection. The game uses a pre-3.5 version of Starforce. From 3.5 onwards, it is x64 compatible. Ubisoft will not release a patch to update this in the near future, even after many people have written and complained to them.

Has the 250Gb drive got any partitions on already? You haven't got 1 big primary partition have you?

Av8

Av8

Associate
ic1male said:
Has the 250Gb drive got any partitions on already? You haven't got 1 big primary partition have you?

Unfortunately yes it has one partition, as i used to have 2 hard drives and decided to put xp64 on to the 250gb, and didn't put 2 partitions on it. xp32 was on the smaller drive which i sold, so i guess i'm stuffed with this now?

:edit: gutted to say the least about splinter cell
frown.gif

Caporegime
You're not stuffed - you will just have to use Partition Magic to resize the partition, leaving some space at the end for you to create a new one. Or else you can re-install x64 from scratch but create a smaller C partition rather than using the whole disk.

Caporegime
No you won't be able to create a partition using PM8 unless you resize the current one.

Have a look - there will be an option to resize the partition. You can shrink it down to whatever you want - I'd say 50Gb would be adequate for Windows and then use the other 180-odd for whatever you want. You could even create a couple of partitions.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Hi.

I've just built a new system and decided that, since I've got myself an A64 CPU, I might as well install a 64-bit OS.

After some trials finding drivers, I've got it all up and running.

I have one question and one observation, both regarding the 64-bit version of IE.

My question is: Does anybody know if Macromedia plan to release a 64-bit version of their flash player in the near future? I tried googling but could only find negative comments, anybody know any different?

My observation is: When I opened Windows update in 64-bit IE, it had to open the 32-bit version to do the update - made me chortle somewhat :D

Stan :)

PS: (I've just seen the post above for 64-bit Firefox, I'm just off to download now :cool: (Not that I'll be able to get flash for that either :rolleyes: ).

Caporegime
Bigstan said:
My question is: Does anybody know if Macromedia plan to release a 64-bit version of their flash player in the near future? I tried googling but could only find negative comments, anybody know any different?

My observation is: When I opened Windows update in 64-bit IE, it had to open the 32-bit version to do the update - made me chortle somewhat :D

Hi Stan,

Welcome to x64. IE is a weird one. I don't even know why they bothered doing a 64-bit version of that browser seeing as all the ActiveX doo-dahs are 32-bit only. As you say, no-one seems to have any clue as to when 64-bit controls will become available. Probably not until IE7 and Vista, I would guess.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Thanks.

Another thing. Any idea about powertoys?

I managed to find aTweakUI for X64 which works fine but can't seem to find the image resizer that works in X64. I like this tool as it goes into the context menu and resizes images without having to open them - any ideas.

You'd better get used to me asking questions by the way, I won't rest until I get this working just the way I want it :p

Associate
My observation is: When I opened Windows update in 64-bit IE, it had to open the 32-bit version to do the update - made me chortle somewhat
A similar thing happened when Firefox 64 aka Dearpark couldn't handle downloading it's own upgrade to the next beta level. Had to dl with IE 32 bit.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Deer Park being funny with me (Ver 1.6a1).
Last night after working with it for a while, it froze completely. I closed it and tried to reopen it but it refused to open saying that it was aleady open and wouldn't reopen until I rebooted. I tried to open Firefox instead but it gave me the option to open with a different profile as if it was already open :confused:

Also, if I have Firefox open and try to open Deer Park, it opens another instance of Firefox instead and the same the other way round - it appears you can't have both open at the same time.

Dru

Dru

Associate
Yeah it's not possible to have them both open because if you look at the process even though 1.6a1 is called deerpark it's process is still firefox.exe

You can get a batch file which will allow you to open two versions of firefox at the same time if you need to do that though.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Dru said:
Yeah it's not possible to have them both open because if you look at the process even though 1.6a1 is called deerpark it's process is still firefox.exe

You can get a batch file which will allow you to open two versions of firefox at the same time if you need to do that though.

That's what I was thinking.

I have no particular need to have them both open at the same time. I think I will just forget about Deer Park until Macromedia gets their act together, rather than keep switching over to Firefox every time I want to visit FHM.com (not the same without flash).

Soldato
Bigstan said:
Deer Park being funny with me (Ver 1.6a1).
Last night after working with it for a while, it froze completely. I closed it and tried to reopen it but it refused to open saying that it was aleady open and wouldn't reopen until I rebooted. I tried to open Firefox instead but it gave me the option to open with a different profile as if it was already open :confused:

I get this sometimes, if you open task manager you'll find an instance of firefox running in the background, that's why it thinks it's already running. Just kill it.

Back
Top Bottom