*** The Windows XP x64 Thread ***

Associate
Whats the easiest way of setting up a dual boot without losing my old OS? Do i need a tool to create a new partition from the free space on my HD?

Associate
amit.t said:
Whats the easiest way of setting up a dual boot without losing my old OS? Do i need a tool to create a new partition from the free space on my HD?

Buy Partition Magic. It comes with an add-on called Bootmagic for the dual boot bit, and Partition Magic itself allows you to setup your hard drive ready for a dual boot system.

Soldato
Check out:

Alliance Of Overclocking Arts - Files Section

Found this to be very usefull!

Another tip which is handy - and can make some inf files work with xp64:

...find the inf file of the hardware of your choice that isn't currently working and look for the "[Manufacturer]" section of the file. In the case of the 3Com 3c940 that didn't work for me the file name is netsk9x.inf and the line in question is:

[Manufacturer]
&3COM% = 3COM

Change the top link on the file to look like this:

[Manufacturer]
%3COM% = 3COM,NTamd64

This was very handy - the 3COM drivers for my board worked on the BETA but stopped working on RC1 until I changed the above!

Got it from http://suspendedmotion.dyndns.org/ - doesn't seem to be working at the moment though!

I've got all the drivers already for the ASUS SK8V motherboard (as I've been running this on XP x64)

I've got the following - I'll host any if anyone wants it - just let me know! :)

DRIVERS
---------
- 3Com Gigabyte NIC (on board LAN)
- SiliconImage SATA Floppy
- SiliconImage SATA RAID
- Via Hyperion Pro 0.96
- Via Hyperion Pro 0.99
- Via Sata Floppy
- ADMTek Ethernet Drivers
- Broadcom NIC BCM57xx
- Broadcom NIC BCM4401
- ChainTek Audio
- HighPoint Rocket Raid
- Silicon Image SATA
- SoundMax (on board Sound)

GAMES
-------
- BZ Flag Multiplayer
- Winboard Chess

UTILITIES
---------
- Crystal CPU ID
- Debugging Tools
- HyperTransport Analyser
- Java VM
- MBM 5.3.6.5
- Panorama Factory
- PCWizard 2004
- TweakUI PowerToys

They're all 64-bit specific versions

Soldato
im in the process of upgrading to a athlon64... will this work on my standard xp pro? or will i need to update my xp to x64? Not sure how any of this works... all confusing for me:S

Caporegime
Microsoft will also be offering a 180-day trial version of this software (for free, I imagine). So at least you will be able to d/l it and make sure everything works properly before splashing out on a retail copy.

Soldato
I read somewhere that we could use our XP OEM codes with XP-64? This true?

Also, any benchmarks anywhere, comparing 2001/2003/2005 scores with normal XP?

Concorde

Soldato
OP
Concorde Rules said:
I read somewhere that we could use our XP OEM codes with XP-64? This true?

You'll be able to swap a legitimate XP Pro licence for x64, but your old key wont work.

Also, any benchmarks anywhere, comparing 2001/2003/2005 scores with normal XP?

Concorde
As I understand it, there aren't many benchmarking proggy's that properly support x64, so there arent many (if any) sites I could link you too. Be better to wait until its properly released anyway so all the obvious drivers arent in beta stage.

Back
Top Bottom