*** The Windows XP x64 Thread ***

Associate
my brother recently got a vaio(xo pro), but it doesnt have a 64 bit processor, u reckon i'll still be able to get a copy of win64 . then i can use it on my pc

thanks

Soldato
I don't think I understand your question

I don't think XP x64 will work on 32-bit processors, at least with any kind of speed

If you want XP x64 for your PC then you can try the evaluation copy from Microsoft's website or you can buy yourself a copy when they are released

Associate
what i meant was

my bro has an oem win xp pro. but he wont be able to use pro 64, cos he doesnt have a 64bit processor,
but in my desktop computer i do, so what i want to do is, get a copy of pro 64 from his oem and use it on my pc.
just wondering if they will give him pro 64 cos they will obviously know the laptop doesnt have a 64 bit processor

Soldato
nforce and ATi 64 bit drivers

Hi, I've been looking at this supposed 'free' upgrade from winxp pro to winxp pro 64 however as ive never used the 64bit beta i really dont know on the status of the 64 bit drivers for the nfoce 3 ultra mobo and ati graphics cards, are they any good and do they give the same performance as current 32bit drivers? I remember at one point they where lagging behind but then i stopped paying attention.

Any help would be appreciated!

Oh and I just remembed how about netgear wireless card drivers? Anyone seen any? Sorry to be a pain

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been looking at the product upgrade page, and i cant work out whether it will work for those of us who bought their copies of xp pro with some hardware like me, or it will only work for those that bought pre-made pc's i.e. dell, HP etc? I'm not willing to really try it unless I know the drivers are there for the items and they're just as good as those for 32bit os/s...

Soldato
OP
There is a slight contradiction between the two sites:

Main MS Site said:
If you built your PC yourself or have purchased it through a system builder, you can make the exchange through the link to the right.

The order page said:
In order to be eligible to receive Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition, your computer must have been ordered between March 31, 2003 and July 31, 2005 with Microsoft Windows® XP Pro (32 Bit) preinstalled.

Can either risk it for a biscuit, or wait for cliarification.

Back
Top Bottom