*** The Windows XP x64 Thread ***

Soldato
grahammills said:
This site does not seem to be very well made, so it looks like a fake. :o

Well like otacon, I followed the link all the way through from www.microsoft.com and it does indeed link to all those pages like it should. I dont honestly think its fake, unless someone is rerouting dns if that makes any sense (not an network guru so I could be wrong in wording :p)

But again, I am really confused about who is elligibal for it and why its only being shipped from MS US and not the uk which would be better....

Soldato
Acolyte said:
Do i have to order a CD to get this? Or is it not possible to download it from somewhere?

4 - 6 weeks for the CD :(

I would also like to know this. I have 64k but I could get a mate to download it

Associate
win xp pro 64

i have this operating system and have found 64 bit drivers for everything except my bt voyager 100 modem.will my old drivers work or will i need 64 bit drivers.ive looked on the site but there is no 64 bit drivers available so i am unsure if ill install it yet

Associate
You'll probably have the same problem I've got with my Speedtouch 330 modem - the x32 driver won't load all at in x64.

You have to wait until the manufacturer produces a driver specifically for the new windows as Microsoft have changed several requirements in the .inf file for x64 to recognise a driver.

Associate
just spoke to someone from aol and they said it would be ok but id doubt it very much.i did e-mail bt about this ages ago and they said there was no plans to release a 64 bit driver

Soldato
Windows 64 Drivers

Hi, i have a msi-neo-2 platinum wi fi edition, and am trying to find some drivers for the wireless adaptor, are there any??

PC54G2 is the model number i think.

any know if it will work with xp64?

Caporegime
I think the general consensus is that 32-bit drivers of any kind at all won't work. You need dedicated 64-bit drivers for every hardware item. I have to wait for Canon before my scanner and printer work.

Soldato
only way round it is to get an adsl modem/router combo. most mobos have onboard network cards and the major chipset manufacturers such as nvidia and via have 64 bit drivers for them.

or even another pc (32bit) with the modem installed, networked to your a64 with a crossover cable would do. :p

Soldato
ok found drivers now. all sorted

now i am looking for drivers for the Zoom X3 ADSL modem/router. is there any? i am having great problems with it :(

Soldato
Why upgrade to an operating system which lacks basic media support, management tools, network protocols, plug and play funtionality, reduced hardware support (the list goes on) when you can use win xp.

Yes if you use a 64bit processor have a go but it wont be a viable home user solution for quite a while, handy for business server applications though.

Hopefully in about a years time ill have a play with it.

Associate
Curiosityx said:
Why upgrade to an operating system which lacks basic media support, management tools, network protocols, plug and play funtionality, reduced hardware support (the list goes on) when you can use win xp.

Er, cos it's there? I agree completely that XP actually works at the moment - x64 doesn't. But its simply that x64 is new and uses our 64bit CPUs (never mind the quality, feel the buswidth!).

Back
Top Bottom