*** The Windows XP x64 Thread ***

Soldato
Acolyte said:
Am i right in saying the only way you can obtain a copy of this is if...

1) You have an MSDN accunt and can download it?

2) Pay $20 and wait 4 - 6 weeks to have it shipped?

I have been told by my suppliers that it is now in stock, only reason why i havnt ordered is becasue i cant see anyone actualy buying it yet........ high street shop by the way. :) not purple shirt.

Associate
the download was supposed to be out today if other forums are correct.
;) mine is on its way due about wed...please dont ask where i bought it from i dont break the rules...

Last edited:
Associate
Ive just noticed the Microsoft Windows 2003 Server Enterprise x64 Edition for Itanium Processors at the bottem of overclockers page please can someone tell me why its just short of 2 grand and also while your at it could you also explain to me what Itanium Processors actuly are. It may be a stupid question but I would really like to know how good they are to justify spending 2 grand on the operating system alone

Associate
tutu said:
Basic media support - Windows Media Player 10? Real/QuickTime alternative, xvid, winamp work fine :rolleyes:
Management tools - Not sure about that one, but it is a client OS, not server
Network protocols - what TCP/IP isn't good enough? ;)
Plug and play - works just fine :p
reduced hardware support - only due to manufacturers catching up.

XP64 is working fine on the machine in my sig - the only drivers missing are Epson Stylus Photo R200 Printer (for which I am dual booting). Their are no Logitech iTouch - but I can live without them.

The majority of my apps/games are working fine including World of Warcraft and Steam.
Do you notice any performance boost with using the 64 bit windows? how does games like css run with it?

Associate
It feels fast just like it should ;)

As for CSS - no comment, I got bored of counter-strike in 2001 :D

Move on, people...

Last edited:
Soldato
has anyone running the beta version found it to be faster than the standard 32bit XP?

ive got a cd here with the first beta of 64bit xp on it, dunno if its worth downloading the latest one and trying it out

Soldato
vintage-x said:
Ive just noticed the Microsoft Windows 2003 Server Enterprise x64 Edition for Itanium Processors at the bottem of overclockers page please can someone tell me why its just short of 2 grand and also while your at it could you also explain to me what Itanium Processors actuly are. It may be a stupid question but I would really like to know how good they are to justify spending 2 grand on the operating system alone

I don't know why it's so expensive - it sure isn't worth it!

As for the Itanium processors, they were Intel's first attempt at 64-bit processors

They were slow, super expensive and had a new architecture - they wouldn't run 32-bit code at all

Soldato
Smiley Man said:
has anyone running the beta version found it to be faster than the standard 32bit XP?

ive got a cd here with the first beta of 64bit xp on it, dunno if its worth downloading the latest one and trying it out

Not noticibly slow - I've got an old beta from about July last year, which they called "Windows XP 64-bit Edition". This was OK, but was slow in games - only got about 15k 3DM 01 marks with it - it looked a lot like Windows Server 2003 too

Downloaded RC1 - now entitled "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition" - this looked a lot like Windows XP Pro and it was quicker - got about 24k 3DM 01 marks

Would have stuck with it - it was just the driver issue. Got everything to work apart from Alcohol (no big deal) and SonicStage for my MiniDisc. SonicStage is appalling software, but you're forced to use it if you have a Sony NetMD MD player so I re-built it with XP Pro

Associate
I am sure i read somewhere that even though it is being pressed and RTM, XP64 was going to remain an openly downloadable (ie not jsut thru MSDN) option, that had a time element restriction of one year, so after the year you either had to pay the full price or replace it with A.N.Other os.

I will try and find the article in question when i get home, (yep i AM working today)

Associate
Just to confirm, if I decided to wait for till the end of the year untill making the move to x64 I would have to buy the OS. Where I could make the switch now via ordering online?

I'm a hardcore gamer and do have a lot of extras like, printer / scanner, TV card, webcam etc. Should I wait n pay? Or go free risk? :p

-King

Permabanned
I`m going to use it in a few months when the apps I use are updated to run on it, been thinking about trying the trial out on a duel boot, might go for that...

Permabanned
This is more than a driver thing, its a totally now OS, w2k and xp are pretty much the same so the driver thing was not a problem.

Soldato
The real question is, will stuff work faster on XP64, and the answer is no... so until games actually get a boost from the thing, its a pointless upgrade. If you're installing it on a new pc, then great, but there's no point upgrading.

Back
Top Bottom