The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
The difference with Galaxy is that it can act as a launcher for all the other ones. You can add your Steam games in to it. But I've never used that feature.

Just reading up on this now... a shame we require the use of so many launchers lately. Controller or KBM for Witcher, which is best?

Soldato
Only my opinion, of course but I always play third person games with a controller. Saying that, I play nearly all my games with the Xbone gamepad. :p

My thoughts too with this title, considered buying the Xbox Series 2 controller purely for the wireless and charging capabilities.

Associate
Ok so, ive done a few of the main missions, struggling to find some better weapons and armour, ive done the first visit to the baron and played as Ciri for a little bit, now i have to find a pellar, want to do some side quests now, best place to get them in velen, im level 3 and feel i should be at a higher level, do i just go to town notice boards and random question marks in the map to get quests ? thanks for any help, im also just picking up random flowers in the wild, would like to make bombs, do i get these components at an armouruers place where he forges items for you ? need to make more money, have like £170

Last edited:
Associate
Ok so, ive done a few of the main missions, struggling to find some better weapons and armour, ive done the first visit to the baron and played as Ciri for a little bit, now i have to find a pellar, want to do some side quests now, best place to get them in velen, im level 3 and feel i should be at a higher level, do i just go to town notice boards and random question marks in the map to get quests ? thanks for any help, im also just picking up random flowers in the wild, would like to make bombs, do i get these components at an armouruers place where he forges items for you ? need to make more money, have like £170

Exactly- do side missions. Try and kill stuff and do missions that are the same level or slightly higher for max XP. You can rest (meditate) pretty much without penalty to respawn some monsters. As far as I recall there are very few, or no missions that are time sensitive.

After a while you'll have masses of monster body parts and collected random swords. You can sell them, but keep a few monster parts aside for alchemy. Don't sell mutagens.

At this point in the game you don't really need to have armour made. There's loads lying around in mission locations. You'll spec half your time walking around with Witcher senses engaged- this will show up all the loots crates scattered around.

Associate
Good amount of hours played now, really enjoying it, struggling a bit with potions and oils needed for swords, but ive got myself better armour and 2 better swords, trying to do all the quests and question marks now in Velen, im level 6

Soldato
Still in Velen, only level 6, struggling to find quests, but im getting a lot of ones for way for higer levels like 25 and 30, that must be due to the expansion packs

If anything I found too many quests to be honest - the best things to do in my experience is a) check out every town's noticeboard and b) wander out towards the question marks on the map - the latter will put you in the odd situation you can't handle but most seem pretty easy to run away from if necessary!

Associate
Starting to click for me now, equipment coming along nicely, near level 10, can carry a lot more weight, swords and armour more powerful, will do a lot of secondary quests now and plunder random locations on the map now, afore i head into some city areas, only thing im struggling with is potions, do i lift them randomly or can i craft them, alchemy ? then sleep to regenerate them, like the bombs ? because i feel they would make the boss fights etc a bit easier, do merchants sell potions or components to make them ? thanks !!

Last edited:
Caporegime
The potions you can craft once you know the recipe. They will replenish when sleeping but you need alcohol (white gull is it?) for that to happen and the stuff is pretty rare. Merchants sell pretty much anything but the rarer stuff can cost a shedload of money.

Associate
White Gull is for crafting the recipe initially. After that all your recipes replenish from any spirit (e.g. Dwarven, which you can find everywhere- I must have sold thousands of them!)

There's an auto-oil mod available that pre-applies oils depending on what you're fighting. Saves a lot of effort- having to manually apply them gets old pretty quickly.

Soldato
Starting to click for me now, equipment coming along nicely, near level 10, can carry a lot more weight, swords and armour more powerful, will do a lot of secondary quests now and plunder random locations on the map now, afore i head into some city areas, only thing im struggling with is potions, do i lift them randomly or can i craft them, alchemy ? then sleep to regenerate them, like the bombs ? because i feel they would make the boss fights etc a bit easier, do merchants sell potions or components to make them ? thanks !!

White Gull is for crafting the recipe initially. After that all your recipes replenish from any spirit (e.g. Dwarven, which you can find everywhere- I must have sold thousands of them!)

There's an auto-oil mod available that pre-applies oils depending on what you're fighting. Saves a lot of effort- having to manually apply them gets old pretty quickly.

As CGrieves said, there is a ton of dwarven spirit around in the game and if you don't mind a mod, use this and you can set it to replenish your stuff with those instead of the more rare stuff.

Choose which Alcohol Refills Alchemy

Associate
When did you guys usually go to Novigrad ? im level 12 now, still in Velen and i must say im swamped with white question marks, lot of random bandit outposts and monster nests, i have no idea what they are until i ride there on me orse, but im guessing its good to make a dent it a lot of them for items and money ? i also have the expansion installed with quests there to do, a lot are like level 20 and above, so i should be waiting before i do them, im on the story and sword difficulty, finding things alright so far, was struggling a bit earlier, if i was to say up the difficulty to say 3rd option, broken bones, would that affect loot etc ? meaning less items they give you ? or does it only affect monster / bosses difficulty ? thanks for the help !!

edit = i take it a lot of the extra ! & ? locations are from the expansions ? if so this game could take me 400 hours in one playthrough, some big content

Soldato
When did you guys usually go to Novigrad ? im level 12 now, still in Velen and i must say im swamped with white question marks, lot of random bandit outposts and monster nests, i have no idea what they are until i ride there on me orse, but im guessing its good to make a dent it a lot of them for items and money ? i also have the expansion installed with quests there to do, a lot are like level 20 and above, so i should be waiting before i do them, im on the story and sword difficulty, finding things alright so far, was struggling a bit earlier, if i was to say up the difficulty to say 3rd option, broken bones, would that affect loot etc ? meaning less items they give you ? or does it only affect monster / bosses difficulty ? thanks for the help !!

edit = i take it a lot of the extra ! & ? locations are from the expansions ? if so this game could take me 400 hours in one playthrough, some big content

As for as I'm aware, the difficulty only impacts combat and not loot. As for the world map question marks, generally they are filler, however some hold 'places of power' which grant you additional skill points. My suggestion is to naturally do them when going from point a to point b on quests. As not only are some places of power, but if you're shy on money/reagents they can provide both.

As for the DLC's, don't attempt any until you're either done with the main quest line or fancy doing them at the correct level. Novigrad is around your level, there are multiple ways to get a pass, but if this is your first time I'd just stick with the quests you have and discover the path in naturally.

As for loot, what I do suggest you do is start researching Witcher gear sets on the wiki and start some of the treasure hunt quests for them. It can greatly help early on.

Lastly, I'd suggest sticking to the difficulty you're on for now until you get to grips with the game. Personally I play on the 3rd option, it can become a bit of a cake walk but if you mess up a few times it will wipe you out. I dislike the hardest option as it becomes too much to kill things and feels slightly unrealistic.

Back
Top Bottom