theHunter: Call of the Wild

Man of Honour
Looks fantastic! The rain effect is awfully familiar to a real rain mod on GTAV lol.

Before I buy, if I buy? What are the pro's and con's ?

I'm also interested in peoples thoughts on pro's and con's , the aesthetics look appealing to me, but I dont want something which I enjoy looking at but dont enjoy actually playing.

Associate
Just had a short play and it looks fantastic, plays smooth, great weather effects and detail. Got my 1st kill early on but it was the tutorial I guess so not too challenging yet.

Soldato
looks like a lovely game to chillout to. Was just looking on Steam reviews, yes I know they can be toxic...but seems to be an early trend of bugs, glitches and unoptimised performance.

I'd love to hear some honest opinions from you guys before I delve in.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah im interested in this. Ive been looking for a chill game for the last couple of weeks. The steam reviews are somewhat mixed. To the guys that have played it what do you think so far ??

Soldato
Picked this up for the cdkeys cheap offer but I won't get to play it for a month or two. Probably no bad thing as gives the devs a chance to patch it.

Associate
I'll be looking into this, payed a subscription for the original but werent into it enough or liking the idea of subscribing to justify paying each year.
Don't have as much time for this type of game these days but with a one off payment I dont mind giving it a chance. :cool:

Soldato
Been playing it most of the night, still a bit on the fence, quite enjoyed the old one, while the new one certainly does have the same "feel" I cant help but feel like i'm shooting fish in a barrel half the time.
I'll stalk down a deer, following its trails, finally line up the shot, i'll kill it, but as soon as i take that shot, it seems like the entire population of the forest is within a hundred metres or so of the kill, I can get a couple of deer and a bear in one small area, so far it just seems far too easy and far too much large game in such a small area.
That said, it sure is a pretty game, i got into the prone, and found myself staring at the pretty flora more than the fauna... the sounds in general and the rain is really well done, and go a huge way in making it very atmospheric.
I think if they tone down the huge overpopulation it will be brilliant, but at the moment it feels less like a hunt and more like a trip down to the zoo...

Soldato
Been playing it most of the night, still a bit on the fence, quite enjoyed the old one, while the new one certainly does have the same "feel" I cant help but feel like i'm shooting fish in a barrel half the time.
I'll stalk down a deer, following its trails, finally line up the shot, i'll kill it, but as soon as i take that shot, it seems like the entire population of the forest is within a hundred metres or so of the kill, I can get a couple of deer and a bear in one small area, so far it just seems far too easy and far too much large game in such a small area.
That said, it sure is a pretty game, i got into the prone, and found myself staring at the pretty flora more than the fauna... the sounds in general and the rain is really well done, and go a huge way in making it very atmospheric.
I think if they tone down the huge overpopulation it will be brilliant, but at the moment it feels less like a hunt and more like a trip down to the zoo...
Yeh, i heard in the original game, you could stalk a single animal for hours, thats how it should be, mind you i think its partly made for console in mind, most players want instant action and stuff to happen quickly, loads of post on steam complaining about this.

Associate
Ended up getting it on steam today, tried to change graphics resolution from 1920x1080 to 3840x2160 or something higher than 1080 and it crashes and sends a crash report. :(

Soldato
There are day one patch notes on Steam which also include large amounts of 'non harvested' animals(!!!) as an issue

Caporegime
OP
I would imagine this would be amazing in VR.

970M @ 1080p likely to be playable?

should be okay probably if turn some settings down.once you turn stuff up fps takes a hit.when you see the areas though you know why.stunning.

been recording most of day so new video up soon.

Associate
Enjoying it despite the annoying bug of clipping the tips and icons off the side of a widescreen monitor, hopefully that gets sorted soon.

Really hope they drop the level requirement for equipment as well as currently it's rather crazy, the paywall to buy stuff is more than enough without a level req as well.

Graphically and audibly it's fantastic, a great basis to build a fab long term game on :)

Soldato
Played the tutorial tonight and whilst I'm struggling a bit with the game itself, it's incredibly immersive. I found the graphics much better after applying 2 x dsr in the nvidia control panel.

I find the glowing footprints a bit silly and whilst I understand they can be turned off, there's no way I would pick out footprints in the undergrowth without them on!!

Soldato
Enjoying it despite the annoying bug of clipping the tips and icons off the side of a widescreen monitor, hopefully that gets sorted soon.

Really hope they drop the level requirement for equipment as well as currently it's rather crazy, the paywall to buy stuff is more than enough without a level req as well.

Graphically and audibly it's fantastic, a great basis to build a fab long term game on :)
So you saying we have to pay for the game, then there is a paywall as well, i did not see any paid dlc on steam store page myself.

Back
Top Bottom