theHunter: Call of the Wild

Caporegime
OP
yes its okay to earn the money but you need the experience aswell.it will keep the game going for a long while as it takes time to build it up.which is good tbh.

im aiming for the .270. when you trying to down the bigger animals with a .243 it is a challenge :p

just had a piebald moose which was cool near balmont lake.

Soldato
Ah i see, thought he meant real money, thx guys, still wish there was like a sim option, i mean where you might not see a animal for hours, and you have to track it properly, going by all the posts i have read, it seems there are just to many animals around, in old game, could take like 6 hours even before you seen a animal.

Soldato
Ah i see, thought he meant real money, thx guys, still wish there was like a sim option, i mean where you might not see a animal for hours, and you have to track it properly, going by all the posts i have read, it seems there are just to many animals around, in old game, could take like 6 hours even before you seen a animal.
I had an hours walk without seeing an animal but I was in the tutorial and went off piste which may account for it. I believe you can turn off all hints and gui.

Associate
still not done the tutorial yet,:o after two hours I've seen one deer which called at around 12 o'clock then 3 o'clock then 11 o'clock and then about 6 o'clock... unless it was another deer calling back.
Is there another way to move quietly without having to go prone and tap the forward button?
Other than waiting for rain/high winds etc.

Associate
Sorry the paywall is game currency that you earn as you go along, not a micro transaction.

Everything in the shop is locked down by level and the amount it costs, so as well as earning the money to buy a lure(10000) you also need to be the right level, ie for fallow deer it's level 5, but moose for instance is level 51 which is frankly insane.
I can't see why you'd put a level restriction on buying things as earning money in the first place is not easy.
EAUnW
http://imgur.com/a/EAUnW
EAUnW

Soldato
I cant walk 500m in any direction without stumbling on a group of bears/deer/elk. Hell i can be walking about an outpost and i've got at least 2 different animals shouting out warning calls.
its ridiculously over populated.

still not done the tutorial yet,:o after two hours I've seen one deer which called at around 12 o'clock then 3 o'clock then 11 o'clock and then about 6 o'clock... unless it was another deer calling back.
Is there another way to move quietly without having to go prone and tap the forward button?
Use a game pad... thats the only way round it at the moment, hopefully the devs will sort out a fix for KB/M players, maybe not quite a game breaker but it is far from ideal and just not practical.
a simple walk speed modifier button to bring down to almost silent.

Soldato
Well i watched a good twitch stream of this game, in the early hours this morning, another thing that did not seem quite right was, the guy was like shooting at a deer, and the other animals just seemed to stay around and not really be frightened, surely once you take the shot, that would be in for quite a while, no more animals around, i do love the look of the game thou, a guy came across a hideout, he was in multiplayer, but he could not build the hideout, is there a reason for this online.

Soldato
I might be confused then as I thought the tutorial was the first 'level'?

I just started in one of the reserves ( are there only 2?) and Connie started talking me through what I had to do.

Caporegime
OP
only two reserves at moment but they are absolutley huge.take many hrs to run from one end to the other.

some people might not know but you can turn off many notifications for things that make it easier.also yes there maybe more animals in certain areas but you wont take a lot down.shots have to be precise vital hits then animals unless a stone kill shot will still need to be tracked.many deer are in groups naturally. also time of day and location play a very big factor.to what animals are doing and where they are located.

ive been hunting elk today.new video going up shortly.nearly got my .270 now so i will be glad to get rid of the .243.:D

Associate
Played this for around 4-5 hours last night and I rather like it. It's still quite buggy, though. Changing the key bindings to mouse buttons is annoying as hell. If you change them in-game, as soon as you hit the trophy screen, they reset. I had aim set to mouse button 4 and also set aim to toggle, rather than hold. Those kept resetting. I set them from the main menu and then restarted the game, which stopped the aim toggle from resetting, but it would still reset my mouse button 4, so had to put it back to mouse button 2.

The walking speed / sound thing is pretty annoying, also. Turbo-tapping the W key to advance without making noise is kinda tedious and very slow-going. It would be better with a controller, I suppose (I really need to get a 3m cable for my PS4 controller) but even so, it still seems very inconsistent. If I am crouch-walking on grass with little to no foliage, I really shouldn't be making the same noise levels as when walking through bushes, imo. I'm thinking lure & ambush hunting will be the way forward, for the most part.

That aside, it's a very enjoyable game. Playing in pretty much full realism mode. Not using the cone thingy, the track particles, the tracking outline or the downed animal indicator....just the glow of the tracks and the call indicator. I've had around 10 kills, or so. Mainly Roe, a few Fallow and a couple of Fox. Tracked a few Red Deer but not managed to bag one yet. Slippery buggers, they are!

Last edited:
Associate
I might be confused then as I thought the tutorial was the first 'level'?

I just started in one of the reserves ( are there only 2?) and Connie started talking me through what I had to do.
looks like it's merged into the main game.
managed to get a few kills in today, even got a black bear too, quite lucky really as it only appeared because the blacktail spooked it and I saw it in the distance and it reared up on its hind legs so I thought what the hell, shot it in the back :cool:
I'm also getting very peed off with tapping W, do't want to use a controller so will wait for a mod or a patch to sort it.
graphics are a bit rubbish even on Ultra when not able to run at native resolution. :mad:
will have to wait for another patch for that too.

Caporegime
OP
managed to get a few kills in today, even got a black bear too, quite lucky really as it only appeared because the blacktail spooked it and I saw it in the distance and it reared up on its hind legs so I thought what the hell, shot it in the back :cool:
I'm also getting very peed off with tapping W, do't want to use a controller so will wait for a mod or a patch to sort it.
graphics are a bit rubbish even on Ultra when not able to run at native resolution. :mad:

you dont have to keep tapping w. use auto walk if you need to then stop.press w .

generally i hold shift to run.finger on w hold down let off when needed to.you stop no need to tap any button.graphics are stunning if you can run the higher res and settings to match.sucks if your isn catered for which im sure they will fix soon.

Soldato
Had another enjoyable walk tonight but either the dev forgot to add any animals to my game or I'm not quite getting the hang of it...

So I see lots of glowed footprints and when examined some say deer trotting, running, walking etc. I get a glow arrow which I follow until i find the next set of prints and rinse and repeat until I get bored.

Occasionally I get a footprint icon which tells me how long until I reach an animal in metres. I then crouch and creep until about 60 meters when the animal runs off. As much fun as this is and I am enjoying it, it would be nice to at least see some animals so what am I doing wrong?

Edit this guy seems to get the sound call, I get lots of them, he looks around and it's a blinking zoo!

Last edited:
Associate
You were able to take a bear with the starter .243 rifle? Interesting. Which ammo were you using?

Associate
Had another enjoyable walk tonight but either the dev forgot to add any animals to my game or I'm not quite getting the hang of it...

So I see lots of glowed footprints and when examined some say deer trotting, running, walking etc. I get a glow arrow which I follow until i find the next set of prints and rinse and repeat until I get bored.

Occasionally I get a footprint icon which tells me how long until I reach an animal in metres. I then crouch and creep until about 60 meters when the animal runs off. As much fun as this is and I am enjoying it, it would be nice to at least see some animals so what am I doing wrong?
Noise and visibility are your downfall. Also take note of the green indicator on your compass - it's wind direction. Try and be up-wind of your quarry. Crouch walk when tracking. Avoid walking through noisy bushes. Use your lure when tracking Roe Deer. Stay still when possible. Move when wind and rain cover your noise.

Also, look out for feeding, drinking and resting areas and note their time of day.

Soldato
Noise and visibility are your downfall. Also take note of the green indicator on your compass - it's wind direction. Try and be up-wind of your quarry. Crouch walk when tracking. Avoid walking through noisy bushes. Use your lure when tracking Roe Deer. Stay still when possible. Move when wind and rain cover your noise.

Also, look out for feeding, drinking and resting areas and note their time of day.
Thankyou I thought that might be it!

Does the green wind cone point thin end towards me?

Associate
Might be me, but how do I get back to the game starting menus?

All I see when in System menu is back to desktop?

Also, is there away to just move head when walking to look around?

Back
Top Bottom