theHunter: Call of the Wild

Soldato
It's defiantly the winner of best graphics of any game. I suspect though the slow running/walking ability helps as unlike GTA v you can't fly in a jet and expect high res textures to load without pop in!

Going to spend another hour in the wilderness tonight and hopefully bag me some prey.

If I can't track a deer tonight I'll be setting up camp by their feeding area with a can of beer and my rifle :D

Caporegime
OP
go to the big lakes at certain times there can be whole herds of animals of different species.then pick the one you want.times of day and location is very important to what you will find.

just remember though that if you kill animals in a certain area frequently the hunting pressure will rise.this is shown by a purple pink area on your map.this means animals will avoid that area while its like it and not visit as much.

Soldato
Bought, had £9 in my wallet so that was a bonus, left over from my Xmas steam card gifts! Time for hunting! :D

One big map like the old hunter? I think? or multiple zones on one one big map? all sandbox type, borders etc?

Associate
go to the big lakes at certain times there can be whole herds of animals of different species.then pick the one you want.times of day and location is very important to what you will find.

just remember though that if you kill animals in a certain area frequently the hunting pressure will rise.this is shown by a purple pink area on your map.this means animals will avoid that area while its like it and not visit as much.

Enjoy your videos. Thought being a seasoned hunter, you'd have all the visual aids turned off? ;)

Soldato
Steam reviews make it out to be quite buggy (AI pathfinding, a scope bug, clipping through the groung) . Is that true or have they been fixed? I liked the original but don't want to spend 30 quid on a bug ridden game.

Soldato
cdkeys has it for £22 I think (can't comment on your other questions, still deciding on a purchase or not)
Ah, but I have money in my steam wallet from xmas so I'm stuck with steam for the purchase. If it were £20 on steam I'd take the chance for sure.

Associate
Thanks here's hoping I see a critter tonight!

Does everyone use the 'stock' field of view, or change it? Am trying to reduce motion sickness.
I'm using the default one.

Bought this. Looks utterly jaw dropping at 1440 with everything maxed :D

After reading here looks like I've been making life hard for myself by crawling through the bushes to hide myself, probably making too much noise. I've managed to shoot a few animals, mostly they've run off wounded and I can't then find the corpse.

If you track a set of footprints and the next ones you see are glowing blue, I'm assuming this is the same animal?
Same animal, yes. Also, a hit doesn't always mean a kill. Unless you hit a vital organ, you can pretty much guarantee your quarry will live, albeit a little less mobile.

Enjoying this so far. Seems a little more accessible than the classic game which has its pros and cons.

Either I am a terrible shot of the starting rifle is underpowered as I seem to get a lot of flesh wounds

Anyone know if there is bullet drop or does wind effect your rounds?
Aim for broadside shots and try to hit the lungs or stomach. The starting rifle and round isn't the best for penetration. Switch up to the polymer-tip round, when you can. It has better penetration, I feel.

Also, bows are awesome! Just about to head over and do a mission where I have to bag a Red Fox with one.

Steam reviews make it out to be quite buggy (AI pathfinding, a scope bug, clipping through the groung) . Is that true or have they been fixed? I liked the original but don't want to spend 30 quid on a bug ridden game.
It is still quite buggy. The menu system is annoying as hell. There's also an issue with your scope becoming unattached and the Tritium iron sites just don't work. A few missing or inconsistent sound bugs. I have also seen a bug where there were three deer just running on the spot. Not had a single crash, however - as quite a few are reporting. All things considered, I am still enjoying it. Hopefully these bugs get ironed out soon.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Enjoy your videos. Thought being a seasoned hunter, you'd have all the visual aids turned off? ;)

im playing like a new player.also there are a few bugs like certain things not saving so i do turn some notifications off but they come back on :p

its a brand new game on brand new engine in 2017. i expect some bugs.theHunter classic is 8 years old now.so with some patches it will be a really great game.cant expect perfection on release for any game now days.its normal practice.

got my .270 warden rifle loving it.:cool:

Associate
im playing like a new player.also there are a few bugs like certain things not saving so i do turn some notifications off but they come back on :p

its a brand new game on brand new engine in 2017. i expect some bugs.theHunter classic is 8 years old now.so with some patches it will be a really great game.cant expect perfection on release for any game now days.its normal practice.

got my .270 warden rifle loving it.:cool:
I have found that changing the settings mid-game causes them not to stick. Change them in the main menu, exit the game and re-start and they should save correctly. The only thing that I can't get to stick is anything bound to mouse button 4 & 5 on my Logitech.

Soldato
Well I finally bagged a kill albeit not how I would have liked.

I was tracking a deer on water map when unbeknownst to me a black bear was stalking me! I did turn around in time and managed two flesh wounds before no scoping a vital organ! Bit of a panic kill tbh!

Soldato
How do I get tracking experience? I followed Cyan footsteps and cone, and white footsteps, bear was behind me, i was laying down and it roared. Needed new underwear! Now it's gone, and i followed it, but 0XP at all?

Associate
Well I finally bagged a kill albeit not how I would have liked.

I was tracking a deer on water map when unbeknownst to me a black bear was stalking me! I did turn around in time and managed two flesh wounds before no scoping a vital organ! Bit of a panic kill tbh!
Haha! Pretty cool first kill, tbf. All those years of COD paying off! I haven't seen a bear yet, as I'm still in Germany.

In less exciting news; I just died for the first time. I attempted a base-jump off a ridge whilst auto-running and looking at the map. :(

Associate
How do I get tracking experience? I followed Cyan footsteps and cone, and white footsteps, bear was behind me, i was laying down and it roared. Needed new underwear! Now it's gone, and i followed it, but 0XP at all?
There's a skill that improves it. In the Stalker tree.

Back
Top Bottom