There are still some decent people out there

Associate
Me and a lass from work had to go out and put our works lucky dip lottery numbers on which was £15 worth of lines and she kept them in her pocket.

On the way back after getting the tickets a guy taps me on the shoulder asking if we'd dropped these lottery tickets. I was busy stuffing a sandwich in my mouth, so I was like "BLAHLB OH **** YEAH BLAHLAH", desperately trying to swallow the food and thank him.

Apparently the tickets fell out of her pocket. Would have been a bit nasty if we lost all the staff numbers.

Pretty honeset of the guy, he could have kept the tickets in case they were winning lines :eek:

Associate
I saw a guy drop 5 quid this morning so I swooped it up and gave it him back before someone nicked it.

If everyone did their bit it would make life a lot more pleasant.

Soldato
I handed in £510 in cash that i found in a carpark (at xmas time) to the police and the womans who's it was somehow found out where i worked,came in, kissed me on the cheek and gave me £20.

Soldato
I found £20 in the Uni car park one night (outside the SU bar), handed it in to the police station the next day. Everyone thought I was an idiot for doing that.

It got claimed though, so I suppose someone came looking for it.

Soldato
Nexus said:
Sometimes you would get a tip for doing so, usually a thank you... only ever had one guest who I returned a phone to and didn't even get a 'thanks' :rolleyes:

I know that feeling, a friend of mine picked up someones phone after a gig, and arranged to travel by train to give him the phone back halfway, the guy just looked at him said his name, took the phone and walked off!

Was well shocked! I would have said thanks and offered to buy the guy a pint or something if he had kept my phone safe and brought it back!

Rich

Associate
I found someones USB memory stick outside the library at University. I plugged in into one of the computers in the library and found the guys name, looked him up in the directory and sent him a email saying he could collect it from the library info desk.

He emailed back within 30 mins saying thanks, and it turned out to have most of dissertation on it :)

Associate
Someone lost £20 on Saturday. I found it under a table (after retracing her steps). I gave it back. I must be decent. Yay! :)

Seriously, I misplaced my mobile phone (whose number I have had for 7 years) in Bluewater shopping centre - was sitting on the chairs outside one of the shops. 30 minutes later I realised I lost the phone. So I went back and there were these mean looking guys. When they saw I was looking for something, they asked if I lost my something. I said my mobile and described it. They had found it and given it back to me. They said they were going to hand it in to the conceirge people.

Jolly nice of them :)

Soldato
Ice On Fire said:
You see now in that case, I would've just put it in my pocket. As to find original owner is very hard. And it's a small amout of money.

If I'm being honest, I considered it. First thought when picking it up was "Wow, this is my lucky day", but it just didn't sit well on my conscience or my morals. If it had been out on the road then I might have kept it, but it was close to the SU bar entrance. Figured it was a fellow-student's shopping money or something for the week, so I handed it in.

Besides, I'm doing a degree in Policing, so keeping it would be somewhat inappropriate! :D

Suspended
I think it's easy to forget that most people are naturally honest and pleasant, you just only hear about people not being so. I've lost my wallet twice and my phone once here in Liverpool. My wallet was twice dropped off to me by taxi drivers (all money intact), my phone was actually mailed to me from Glasgow :o (a lass from Glasgow who was here for the weekend was in the cab after me). I myself chased a guy down the road who had forgotten to take his money from the ATM without even thinking about it.

Man of Honour
i managed to lose my Dad's 910i (i had borrowed while my rubishy nokia was being refrubed) on a hill side in the lakes - someone picked it up and left it on a post in a plastic bag to protect it in the rain - then someone else came along and picked it up so no-one would nick it :)

Got a phone call from my Mum later that evening saying this guy had my phone and went to pick it up the next day - gave him an easter egg with a twenty in for his troubles :)

Soldato
My dad was in Ireland on business and had taken his Nokia 9500 with him. It fell of his belt in a taxi one night and when he realised it he started ringing round the taxi companies but no one admitted to having found it. :( Not hard to spot considering it's the size of a brick. Luckily it's insured so he managed to get a new one and have his old sim blocked. Still someone in Ireland has a nice new expensive communicator :(

Man of Honour
R0551 said:
Luckily it's insured so he managed to get a new one and have his old sim blocked. Still someone in Ireland has a nice new expensive communicator :(

thought the carriers had agreed to now block the phones themselfs from the networks these days?

I know a taxi driver that found a pda in the back of his cab, couldn't work out the owner from the stuff on it and never got asked about so wiped all the pictures of the owners wife (in various stages of undress!) and is now using it for his tomtom :D

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
bigred said:
I found someones USB memory stick outside the library at University. I plugged in into one of the computers in the library and found the guys name, looked him up in the directory and sent him a email saying he could collect it from the library info desk.

He emailed back within 30 mins saying thanks, and it turned out to have most of dissertation on it :)

Ah, good old Uni directories. I found a purse of some lasses in a lecture theatre (a rarely used one) and it had a cheque for £800 or so pound in there (pre written out) and all her cards but not her student card. Found her details on the directory and had it back to her within the day. I enjoy seeing people relieved after stressing out.

TheVoice said:
If I'm being honest, I considered it. First thought when picking it up was "Wow, this is my lucky day", but it just didn't sit well on my conscience or my morals. If it had been out on the road then I might have kept it, but it was close to the SU bar entrance. Figured it was a fellow-student's shopping money or something for the week, so I handed it in.

Besides, I'm doing a degree in Policing, so keeping it would be somewhat inappropriate! :D

LOL - good point! Although, a degree in Policing? Not come across that before.. with a view to become a Police Officer?

Last edited:
Associate
I dropped £3,500 one time in a place in tottenham that sells go karts it was missing for about 20 Min's.

A female worker there had found it and gave it back, would not take 100 pound i offered her as a thanks.

Back
Top Bottom