There are times when I like working in retail

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Behemoth said:
I'm not paid to take their ear ache.

Was amazed though when we had a customer come with an item that was 8 months old, nothing wrong with it and they just wanted a refund as they didn't like it anymore !!

You meet lots of people from all walks of life, there are some people who should just not be allowed into an electronics store.
Yup :/
I just don't see the sense in people screaming at me and my colleagues over something that's nothing personal, it's just company policy or they're being silly and expecting things that no one would let them have.
Certainly changed my outlook when I'm a customer somewhere. I was never abusive to any member of staff in a shop but i know I'm that bit extra friendly to them when they serve me.

Associate
Customers looking UBS leads is very common.

Everyone remember that computer joke about dell (iirc) customer service guy telling a user that he was too stupid to use a computer? Basically when the power was cut he phoned dell because his computer would not turn on. Well i got a phone call from a customer looking to bring back a power supply. I asked him the usual questions and in the end said it should be no problem just bring it down to the store. Then at the end he said it. 'oh thats good because i bought it thinking mine was blown but it turned out the power was out' i replied with 'ah ok, bye then' otherwise i would have lost my job.

Guy phoned up and asked my friend for an ionised drive module. WTF.

Customers are often convinced that you can plug a USB BT modem into a router. They argue about that a lot, saying they have seen USB routers.

START leads. Every type of end (phono, 3.5, 2.5, optical, 1/4 inch) is a jack lead, and they put you down when you show them the wrong one, or ask which lead they mean. 20mm fuses, and when asked which ampage, they reply with just give me anyone, it doesn't matter. :S

Im sure im not remembering a whole load, i'll post some funny ones later, as a lot of that was a rant.

Soldato
OP
Haly said:
Yup :/
I just don't see the sense in people screaming at me and my colleagues over something that's nothing personal, it's just company policy or they're being silly and expecting things that no one would let them have.
Certainly changed my outlook when I'm a customer somewhere. I was never abusive to any member of staff in a shop but i know I'm that bit extra friendly to them when they serve me.

The ones that get on my nerves the most are those that demand you give them some discount. The number of times I've had people demand it on a smaller item such as £269 washing machine which is already discounted by £120 amazes me.

I remember when one customer was on at me so much and he was only spending £800 that I took 10p off the whole sale, he couldn't argue, he got his discount :)

Man of Honour
best thing was when i used to work at mcdonalds in sixth form, there was a guy that every saturday would come through the drive through, and ask for chicken mcnugglets, used to make my saturday as i made him repeat it so many times lol, he really wasnt aware he was doing it

McNugglets....brilliant

still makes me laugh thinking about it

Soldato
cyborg said:
Customers are often convinced that you can plug a USB BT modem into a router. They argue about that a lot, saying they have seen USB routers.

Back in the day you could buy USB routers that you could plug the Alcatel SpeedTouch USB ADSL modem into.

that was like 6 years ago thou

Soldato
Not computer related but working in supermarkets at university I had one complete posh toff come up to me as I was putting olive oil onto the shelves, he didn't even look at me and said in a distant sort of way "meat pie?" and i said "no, you are in Somerfield".

I couldn't help myself.

Man of Honour
Haly said:
We had someone come in last week for a new phone battery because they'd tried to charge their old battery by putting it in the microwave :eek:

That would almost certainly have resulted in a rather large explosion and serious kitchen damage so I reckon they were winding you up.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
[TW]Fox said:
That would almost certainly have resulted in a rather large explosion and serious kitchen damage so I reckon they were winding you up.
*shrugs* It's what they said and it made us laugh, all I need to know :)
But ty for the exuding cynicism ;)

Man of Honour
sup3rc0w said:
Back in the day, working for a ISP.

Customer calling up asking for pricing

customer: What do you mean by Domain?

:rolleyes:

OMG LOL A CUSTOMER THAT DOESNT KNOW HOW THE DNS SYSTEM WORKS, LOL WUT A NOOB AHAHAHA.

I bet you all had a right laugh about that one, then went off to play WoW..

Associate
Part of the company I work for own a small computer shop. Some woman came in for a printer cartridge - she glanced up at the firewire cables hanging up and said "Ah firewall cables! do they stop viruses and stuff coming in?"

i was like LoL

Associate
[TW]Fox said:
OMG LOL A CUSTOMER THAT DOESNT KNOW HOW THE DNS SYSTEM WORKS, LOL WUT A NOOB AHAHAHA.

lol!!!

tbh people shouldn't be condemned for not knowing something/making a mistake

its when people claim to be knowledgeable and you try to explain that that is wrong and they don't believe you... that annoys me..

Associate
Steedie said:
best thing was when i used to work at mcdonalds in sixth form, there was a guy that every saturday would come through the drive through, and ask for chicken mcnugglets, used to make my saturday as i made him repeat it so many times lol, he really wasnt aware he was doing it

McNugglets....brilliant

still makes me laugh thinking about it

never forget when someone from my school ordered a 'Royal-chick-al' from burger king - classic

Associate
[TW]Fox said:

LMAO :D
I have finally seen the Fox ive heard about :p

Have 5 stars :cool:

Back
Top Bottom