There are times when I like working in retail

Tru

Tru

Soldato
cyborg said:
HUH? what do you mean fine line between idiot customer and ******** employee, as far as i have seen so far everyone is sharing what they thought was funny, things customers have said and done. Im sure most still helped those customers to the best of their abilty and eventually got them what they were after. What exactly is wrong with finding it funny?

I mean that these people are paid to know more than Joe Public, some of the HAHA IDIOT CUSTOMER examples in here are just pathetic.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
sup3rc0w said:
Ahh ok, riight so the people who were asking for Scarf cables etc as mentioned in this thread (mispronouncing a word or just not knowing the correct name) doesnt fall within the same scope?

tbh, if i wasn't into computers, i'd expect that it was your job to inform me of what a domain was.

scarf cable - cute mispronunciation
microwaving a battery - that's just funny.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Best one I remember was when a customer phoned up when I worked in the meat department at Sainsburys. She demanded to speak to the meat dept. manager and flat out asked him what he expected to do about the fact that she'd just put a leg of lamb in the oven and burnt it to a cinder.

Associate
Well i'd agree with you shouldn't be just taking the micky out of customers who obviously don't know as much as I do on a certain subject. But still, i find the things that they say funny, even if it is just because they don't have as much knowledge about whatever it is. I don't think they are idiots. Well some of them are, in particular the ones that argue they are right when they arn't.

Man of Honour
Tru said:
I mean that these people are paid to know more than Joe Public, some of the HAHA IDIOT CUSTOMER examples in here are just pathetic.
Agreed.

When I worked in a petrol station I didn't expect them to know how the fuel cut-off system worked on the nozzles, but I certainly found it amusing when they asked if the pump that was "Still Unleaded" (as opposed to No Longer Unleaded - Now Diesle) was suitable for her car, or did she need the regular, fizzy unleaded :D

Associate
Oh oh, when we were tiding the pub after closing time the manager got a phone call from a customer asking whether we had found any glasses while cleaning up, to which the manager replied "yeh, loads of them, big ones, small ones, broken ones"

Man of Honour
sup3rc0w said:
Dear god, easy there tiger, i didnt pee in your fruitloops!
And no.. we werent even talking about DNS etc etc, he had no clue what the actual word meant

Why should he? It's a technical term and he's clearly just a consumer. Sure, we know what it means but to ridicule him for not is really rather sad and geeky.

edit: and your childish attempt at sarcasm, basing you perception of who I am on a game i play is pittyful

I had no idea you played WoW, just made an assumption based on your comment, seems like I assumed right? :p Anyway I'm hardly 'looking down' on you if thats what you think, given I play Eve Online myself which is barely any better in terms of geekness.

Associate
Laughs should always be had by people after the incident and never to their faces.

For example if a plumber came round to my house I wouldn't know what pipe did what and I'm sure id make a **** up along the line.....

Every person in lots of different jobs have been asked silly questions or not quite knowing the word or term correctly. My Dad says UBS leads and ASDL instead of ADSL but hey I couldn't do what he does so each to their own!

Permabanned
[TW]Fox said:
OMG LOL A CUSTOMER THAT DOESNT KNOW HOW THE DNS SYSTEM WORKS, LOL WUT A NOOB AHAHAHA.

I bet you all had a right laugh about that one, then went off to play WoW..

Stop trolling, dude...It doesn't work outside Motors ;)

*n

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Why should he? It's a technical term and he's clearly just a consumer. Sure, we know what it means but to ridicule him for not is really rather sad and geeky.

And at which point did I ridicule him? I answered his question politely, helped him with all his other queries, and afterwards I found his comment amusing, and posted in a forum littered with "other geeks"

Soldato
Probably told you this before, but here goes again:

When I left college, I worked at a large business ISP and without fail, this customer (lets call him Mr Johns) would without fail ring on a mondeay morning and ask specifically for me. Why I to this day do not know. However, all his problems were due to his staff doing stupid things with elctric sockets etc, all of which he blamed BT for.

I always managed to get him back on line and everything usually went fine. Except one fateful Monday morning, where he rang in and we went through the usual rigmarole of pinging, checking that he had DHCP coming from his FP server etc etc. Anyway, after about 20 minutes, I was totally stuck and couldn't fathom out why he had no internet access. By this point he was between appoplectic that he had no internet and smug that this time I couldnt help him, so as a last resort I asked him to get his ISDN (remember that) telephone number, his router model and try powering the router off, then on.

15 minutes later he comes back on the line and tells me in a most disbelieving voice that hes found the problem.........

Someone had broken in and stolen all his comms equipment :D :D

This reminded me of another story in which the custard (customer/retard) told me that unless the problem with his account was fixed shortly, he would be unplugging all his bt equipment and dumping it outside. To which I replied... "How will I be able to call you back?"

Last edited:

Nix

Nix

Soldato
loopylou said:
Asda provides you with plenty of loons.

I was working on a customer service desk, and a customer came in ****** and blinding about the cream she bought on Saturday had gone off by that evening and it was very embarrassing as she was having a dinner party and ruined the desert by pouring it on. She then put the pot of cream on the desk and demanded to know what I was going to do about it. I calmly replied nothing, you bought it in Tesco’s, see, it has Tesco’s written all around it. She stormed off in a huff about that.

Another time I was filling the shelves down the jam aisle, I had a huge pallet staked high with jam, wearing lovely lime green uniform with ASDA written on the back and a customer comes up to me
Me: Stacking the jam humming the ASDA jingle, random slapping the coins in my trouser pocket.
Customer: “excuse me do you work here?”,
Me: *looks down at uniform then at the tray of Jam I was holding* “Nope”
Customer: “oh, sorry to have bothered you”
Me: “quite alright, bye”

ROFL. That's all the more funnier because I've done it too :D

One customer was moaning at me once on the shop floor, that I can't quite recall. All I remember is that she was very rude and for no reason as I was trying my best to help her. In the end I had enough of her shouting at me and said I'd go look out back for the product she wanted. I walked through a set of double doors and disappeared into the abyss. I went for my 15 minute break which she collared me as I was walking to it. Afterwards, I walked around the back of the warehouse and out through another set of double doors at the other side of the shop at which point I bumped into a friend and explained to him what I was doing. We walked out of the other set of double doors and saw satan looking through the window on the other doors trying to see me. I don't know how long she was waiting in the end, but it serves her right. :D

Soldato
Christmas Eve this year.

Woman comes in with a jar of connoisseur mince meat in hand. I ask her if shes alright, she has a massive go at me about how its terrible and our regular mince meat is much better while i stand there. Shes only used almost all the jar though.... got a manager to give her a refund to shut her up.

But really, get a life, its going to have cost her more than 2 quid to come back into town with it, and on Christmas eve at 4pm as well. I can think of a million things i would rather do.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Charlie Bravo said:
I've also heard "Digical Cameras" and "Lemarx Printers".... made me laugh esp when you correct them and they still get it wrong.

My dad keeps saying digical all the time even though I relentlessly correct him. It's quite amusing now actually.

Caporegime
in my place customers bring their pc's in to get fixed we also have a small retail section etc.

but some people who think they are right but actually arent and you try to explain to them and they simply won't listen because they think they are right and no more about computers

over the phone for example

me: so you want a wireless network setup, what equipment do you have

person: a wireless mouse and keyboard

me: errr right ok do you have a router

person: we have broadband

me: and do you use a router?

person: yes

me: does it plug into your computer via a USB socket?

person: no it goes in via the UBS socket and it says BT Voyager 105 adsl modem on the front of it

:rolleyes:

another one today infact was a a pc had an intermittant 56K modem so we phone them up and said it needs replacing convo went something like this

me: yeh your modem has an intermittant fault

person: no it doesn't

me: yes it does, it doesnt always connect, sometimes drops the line and we have tried several phone cables

person: doesnt mean to say it has an intermittant fault then does it

me: well its dropping out randomely and doesnt always connect and with a new one it holds the connection fine and connects everytime

person: so you've replaced it? i thought you were going to contact me on this sort of thing.

/SLAP :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom