Things wrong in UK - whoever stands up - I will follow.

Associate
I agree with every single point, except the nationalization of public services. Catch22. If they are nationalized they will become extremely ineffeciant, privatised and the average working person is ripped off, and the fat cats skim the cream.

Associate
It's a myth that all of a sudden you’re more likely to be a victim of crime. There has and always will be crime, it's just now the media whip the whole country up into a frenzy where the people believe they will get knifed walking out their door or their children kidnapped by the millions of pedo's out there.

Stop being scared, live your life without pandering to all the negative media, and please stop making ill informed threads bemoaning the state of the UK. Why not move to say, Sudan?

Associate
OP
It's a myth that all of a sudden you’re more likely to be a victim of crime. There has and always will be crime, it's just now the media whip the whole country up into a frenzy where the people believe they will get knifed walking out their door or their children kidnapped by the millions of pedo's out there.

Stop being scared, live your life without pandering to all the negative media, and please stop making ill informed threads bemoaning the state of the UK. Why not move to say, Sudan?

No, but what will they do if they caught the burglers who raped the 7mth pregnant woman?

Atleast they won't walk out free after 2 years.

And I didn't mean to abolish the law to protect children. I meant the children who commit crime and know we can't do anythign about it.

Permabanned
7. Benefits cut for long term unemployed if they fail to look for jobs.

Is the one I Feel most strongly about, its really really crippling the UK I know personally at least 5 people that are on benefits (at least JSA, some on housing council tax benefit) and have ZERO intention of finding a job, infact go out of their way to avoid getting a job, all of them have paid NOTHING or very little into the government fund and take money out, there must be tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people in the UK doing this and it really mounts up.

I have no issue with benefits to people that really deserve it and want to find a job, its the people that dont want a job or chavtastic mums who have baby after baby and expect us to pick up the tab!

Oh how some of you are misslead, have you looked at how much the jsa costs us, it's nothing. why do some off you always say the benefits= JSA is costing us, when infact jsa is the one which costs the government the least.
The benefits that are costing us is tax credits, child support etc.... JSA costs hardly anything compared to the others.

I would stop all forms of tax credits, no child care no child support.

Soldato
1. Knife crime : this is becoming like a bad nightmare. Arrest and prison.
Knife crime is nowhere near as bad as the press make out. The biggest danger to young peoples' lives in the UK is themselves (suicide) murder rates in the UK are low compared to many developed countries (e.g. US)
2. No early parole : you do your time.
What is the incentive to behave well in prisons then? They would descend into chaos. If it is agreed that a person is safe to integrate into society and has showed remorse why should they continue to be a burden on the tax payer when they could be working (under supervision) and paying taxes.
3. Transport : what is wrong with these? Disband unions - fine trains that are delayed.
Unions are a hangover from a long time ago and are something that we cannot just remove overnight, however I agree. Why should we fine late trains... The money the operators spend on fines could be better spent on improving the network, also many problems are not caused by the operators e.g. weather or security alerts.

4. Child care : Why penalize us and pay it to the poor? We aren't rich either.
5. Finance : stop borrowing or uk will go bankrupt. Cuts have to happen.
if we don't borrow the UK will go bancrupt, borrowing is a normal part of any countries' economy. We need to borrow money in the bad times in order to stay in a good position for the bad times.

6. Youth asbos : they got trackers so track them. Moment they breach, they go to jail.
jail is expensive and doesn't solve the problem, a better approach
agree
8. police to spend more time catching burglers, rapers, thieves rather than fine motorists.
9. Stop blaming people for mistakes. banks messed up, but how many bankers in a bank actually get big bonuses? This is nothing different from filmstars, singers, company directors, oil&gas companies.
10. stop political correctness. Abolish laws to protect children. Make that law forefeit the moment the children commit serious crime.
agree to a certain extent, most political correctness is over the top but religious and cultural tolerance is important.
11. If thieves are in your house, you are legally allowed to apprehend them in any way possible.
agree that you should be able to detain them or knock them out, but outright being able to kill them is not right. Having the homeowner as the judge, jury and executioner is not right and is not a punisment that fits the crime.
12. Nationalize public services. Thats what its for, not to make money out of us who already pay lots and lots tax.
agree with things like transport, but competition is important and difficult to achieve with a government monopoly, an independant regulator would be an important part of this.

Basically what i'm trying to say is that yes the UK has problems, but nothing the many/most other countries don't have, and usually worse than us.
The grass is not always greener on the other side, and we have a much better quiality of life than we did even 20 years ago. :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
I agree with every single point, except the nationalization of public services. Catch22. If they are nationalized they will become extremely ineffeciant, privatised and the average working person is ripped off, and the fat cats skim the cream.

ultilities companies anything that is related to the working infrastructure and just run it like a company.

Associate
It's just impossible to see the actual changes to crime figures etc.

The figures are constantly fluffed / adjusted, it would be great if there was a truely independent board that would look at certain things year after year and show honest figures... lol what am I talking about that will never happen!

Caporegime
First of all, I wasn't born in UK but lived here for over 15 years now.
Some of the things happening here begger belief. Beyond belief.

Some of you might say that you can leave uk etc etc and while this holds true, this is my home.

In my own country, things would not be like this and while i accept that no where is perfect, living in uk has begun to feel like a burden.

Here are things that need changing

1. Knife crime : this is becoming like a bad nightmare. Arrest and prison.
We are no worse than many other countries, in fact better than a lot for violent crime, and certainly for gun crime, unfortunately the media like to sell papers...
2. No early parole : you do your time.
To an extent, however if people are considered still dangerous or liable to offend again they will not get it. I'd be interested to see some proper statistics about early parole and reoffending (not Daily mail statistics!).
3. Transport : what is wrong with these? Disband unions - fine trains that are delayed.
Aside from the underground, which does seem to take the **** on a regular basis with strikes, all other trains/buses aren't that bad. They can be crowded, but then that is because there are only a certain amount of trains that can be laid on and a certain amount of buses that can use that route. It's all very well just saying "fine trains that are delayed" but most of the causes are not the train companies fault, it's usually either the tracks (signals etc) or customers on other trains, however it should be improved. The problem is that improvement would cost billions, as more tracks would need to be laid as well as old tracks being pulled up and relayed, possibly along different routes. People always talk about the Japanese and French trains, and how they are always on time, however that may be something to do with the fact they essentially rebuilt their railways in a modern fashion 60 years ago as there was nothing left after the second war, we didn't quite have that "luxury"...
4. Child care : Why penalize us and pay it to the poor? We aren't rich either.
5. Finance : stop borrowing or uk will go bankrupt. Cuts have to happen.
I agree again to an extent, however there also needs to be a major shakeup with the way certain public organisations are run, such as the NHS. The problem is cuts are a political decision, and most of the public are too stupid to realise that some cuts are going to have to happen, unfortunately the parties know as soon as one of them says they will cut publi spending/services their vote proportion will plumit...
6. Youth asbos : they got trackers so track them. Moment they breach, they go to jail.
I think they are?
8. police to spend more time catching burglers, rapers, thieves rather than fine motorists.
What rubbish, fining motorists is not taking police away from catching criminals, fining motorists is done either automatically (speed cameras) or by the Traffic police, who job it is to enforce road laws, not catch bruglars, just like the transport police aren't supposed to go and catch a rapist miles from the railway lines... That's another myth popetuated by the likes of The Sun and Daily Mail unfortunately.
9. Stop blaming people for mistakes. banks messed up, but how many bankers in a bank actually get big bonuses? This is nothing different from filmstars, singers, company directors, oil&gas companies.
I agree totally, unfortunately the media and politicians need a scapegoat, someone has to take the blame don't you know...
10. stop political correctness. Abolish laws to protect children. Make that law forefeit the moment the children commit serious crime.
11. If thieves are in your house, you are legally allowed to apprehend them in any way possible.
You essentially are, however killing/seriously injuring them when they are no threat to you is way over the top. I'd be interested to know if anyone has actually been sent to prison for aprehending someone in their own home/
12. Nationalize public services. Thats what its for, not to make money out of us who already pay lots and lots tax.
etc etc

The most distressing news I have read in THIS WEEK.

1. pregnant woman raped.
2. mother/daughter suicide.
3. knife murder.
4. knife murder.
5. Dinner lady fired for telling man about bullying.
etc etc.

Which you would almost certainly find in any other western nations newspapers.
TRUST ME, if someone did that to my partner, they will not live much longer.

How many of you feel safe walking the streets at night when a group of hoodies approach you?
There's the actual threat of violence and the perception of violence, unfortunately the media again have increased the perception of violence way above the actual threat. 99% of the time those "hoodies" are just teenagers/students trying to enjoy themselves with no thought of actually hurting/annoying anyone...

How many of you will NOT be worried about their childrens safety at school or somewhere else?
Nope, that's another perception which has forced children to be confined much more than they used to be, just incase they are picked up by a paedophile!!11!! (forgetting completely that around 90% of attacks are by people the child will know...). Children need to be let out more, and is one of the issues with this society at the moment, the mollycoddling of children, and actually fits under the political correctness banner that you dispise...

Why are we limited to Tories or Labor or Lib dems?
You are not, however none of the other parties are strong enough to take them on, maybe you should think about why. To inexperienced for one, policies that don't match the general publics etc...

Why won't someone, maybe you start a party, and fix these things.
People have, you have all sorts, the Greens, Monster Raving Loony Party, BNP, UKIP etc...

Because if someone did, I will vote for you.

Caporegime
Exactly the point, where are the police? I know a road in Reading that I have to walk down to get to town, there is a gang on the road EVERY time that cause trouble to anyone who walk past them, and I have seen police cars drive past them numerous times, why can't they simply pull over, give a nice little warning to them and ask them to move elsewhere/prove ID/question or even arrest them for causing public fear...

ags

Hi, my name is Adolf, you come with me and I take you to the Concentation Camps!

So you force them to show ID (which by the way is not legal unless they are arrested) then arrest them for making people feel scared? Way to go! The problem is the parents, not the police in that case...

Soldato
Oh how some of you are misslead, have you looked at how much the jsa costs us, it's nothing. why do some off you always say the benefits= JSA is costing us, when infact jsa is the one which costs the government the least.
The benefits that are costing us is tax credits, child support etc.... JSA costs hardly anything compared to the others.

I would stop all forms of tax credits, no child care no child support.

I wasnt picking on Just JSA its just JSA is the only benefit THEY all have in common, I agree housing benefit costs a lot more

Soldato
Many of the evils in this country are direct consequences of New Labour's idiocracy.

9. Stop blaming people for mistakes.

Society has no-one to blame than itself for the evils that beset it. If you or I look the other way when anti social behaviour is taking place then we have no right to blame the lack of police or the government of the day for the problems.

It's as bad as parents blaming teachers because their kids misbehave.

Associate
Why are we limited to Tories or Labor or Lib dems?

Yeh, this is kind of silly. I get what you are trying to say, but saying it like this suggests the only one limiting you to those three parties is yourself...

Other than that I sympathise a lot with where you are coming from but we seem to see these posts every day/week. I think they are better when tied to a specific example/statistic/whatever rather than a general rant

Soldato
agree that you should be able to detain them or knock them out, but outright being able to kill them is not right. Having the homeowner as the judge, jury and executioner is not right and is not a punisment that fits the crime.

sorry but if a thief sets foot in my house they deserve whatever they get, they don't want it then just keep the hell out, i'm not willing to take a chance on some scumbag killing me.

Ags:

The police more than likely have enough sense to know if they try that their likley to get the living daylights kicked out of them :(.

Man of Honour
I'm not sure its just the UK, I think its a general decline of society across the globe. Take my home town, there has most definately been a large increase in the amount of serious crime in my home town. 4 years ago, a guy was stabbed to death outside a nightclub here, it was much talked about and discussed. It was the first recorded murder in the town for 61 years. Since that day 4 years ago, there have now been a further 7 murders, the most recent being a double stabbing of a couple at their home.

Its not a big town by any means, but to go from 0 murders in 61 years to 8 murders in 4 years certainly shows an increase. Theres also been a large increase in other crimes in the area too compared to records.

I'm not sure what the cause is, whether its poverty, over population, boredom, mental issues, immigration or just a lowering of morals and perception of right and wrong. One thing I am fairly certain of though is that I have noticed a real difference , even in my lifetime, in the area I am in. To be honest, 10 years ago I wouldnt have thought twice about walking around in my area in the mid of night...today, theres simply no way I would.

Soldato
Whilst some of your concerns are valid, and your solutions plausible... it seems you've taken little heed of the costs of implementing them. Keep people in prison for their entire term? makes sense... but prisons are full, high turn over = more convictions. Keeping people in for life means less cells for new criminals, means less convictions and more slaps on the wrist. Build more prisons? = £££. Staff them = £££. That cash has got to come from somwhere.

Thieves in your house, deal with them how you see fit? Understandable for us honest homeowners... but open for abuse no? I mean.. currently the law is pretty grey about it.. which personally i think is a pretty good place to be. It means the police/detectives use their discretion on the legality of a particular case. I mean, if some lesser, more salty person of the society decided he needed to "off someone", he could just drag them to his house and say "oh he tried to nick me microwave so i gouged out his eyes".

Pregnant woman raped... horrible story.. but what are your suggestions for stopping it happening? More cameras outside everyones house? Nobody likes the current level of CCTV, snooping government spying on our every move. More police on the beat? They cant afford to pay the current police and equip them properly. Of course, stronger punishments for offenders (capital punishment?) would be a deterrent, but currently CATCHING the buggers seems to be the problem.

Police relaxing their manhunt on motorists... again, agreeable... but police make a fortune from motoring offences and honestly... i'm kinda OK with it, if it means getting them some decent equipment to fight real crimes with. We rely on our police to protect us, they should be able to do so equipped for the job. Sure, there are some cowboy police around, on-the-spot fines for making a bit too much noise or wearing a hoody inside out, but this can be dealt with in time.

Transport... i'm with you there. Disband unions, people who strike lose their jobs. Plenty of people out there need jobs at the moment.

I dunno. People will rip my post apart, but it's difficult to plan out each of these points. I wouldnt like to work for the government thats for sure.

Back
Top Bottom