Thinking about joining the army...

Permabanned
atpbx said:
My old man was in 21 SAS.

My uncle was a Para as were his friends, and i'm sorry but they were a complete waste of space, ignorant, arogant...

They all came out and pushed the self destruct button, drugs, drink, fighting and petty crime.

I watched my old man kick the living daylights out of "uncle" steve one evening for selling stolen goods out of one of our vans..

I wouldnt go near the army myself, poor pay (and it is poor pay, i earn more than you just driving a van for 5 days a week) and it does nothing for you when you leave, it leaves you with the kind of attitude you have about things, you may be a good soldier, but when you come out, you are nothing and Para's especially find this very hard to accept.

It's funny because it describes every current-and-ex-para I've ever met or known.

*n

Soldato
cleanbluesky said:
Was he in 21 after he left the paras?

Also, did he have a job outside of 21?

He wasnt in the Paras :confused:

Never said he was, my uncle was.
:confused:

My old man used to fly vulcans, got fired, entered the working world, started his own business joined the TA, applied for and undertook the selection process for 21 and finished up his time with them and the TA as a whole as Major.
He now lives in america.

I'm sure i've had this conversation before on here, there is nothing to catch me out about, in fact i know i did, with L plate, who's main gripe was "he'd never heard of him" no surprise really, as they were in different regiments, on different sides of the country, ones a full time soldier and my age, one was a part time soldier and 30 years older.
He's in his 60's now, he got passed up for lt colonel because he was too old at 47.
I've got no interest in the army, the SAS or what he did, so dont bother asking my smart arse questions because i never took enough interest to ask them myself so i cant answer them.

Soldato
atpbx said:

I wasn't trying to catch you out, I was curious as I have read about 21 and wondered whether he worked full time as well as undertaking selection, also whether he used to train a lot for it and what his previous military background was...

Soldato
cleanbluesky said:
I wasn't trying to catch you out, I was curious as I have read about 21 and wondered whether he worked full time as well as undertaking selection, also whether he used to train a lot for it and what his previous military background was...

He used to do a lot of running.
Thats about it.

Soldato
On the subject of the armed forces, I'm wearing my standard issue Combat Assault Boots now in an effort to 'break them in', and after having them on for 4 hours my feet are starting to ache a bit :(
Only been wearing them for the past 2 days though so it's understandable, looking forward to many a long walk in them in the weeks to come :)

Soldato
Violent-J said:
Stringy I'm a complete noob so I don't recognize the badge on your signature, are you in the Army?

Noob you are, its the crest of the Royal Air Force. Stringy will soon be a Rodney. RAF slang for commissioned officer.

See here, quite amusing: http://www.ejectorseats.co.uk/rafanasaurus.html

(some of the humour is a bit close to the knuckle, if a Don deems this unsuitable, please remove). ;)

Last edited:
Associate
kkelly said:
Joining the army was my back up plan if i failed school/uni :) i didnt tho :D i think it would be a very good choice in life instead of being in a office all week like me :). One of my best friends at school joined the marines and is loving it, another one paid to get him self out :(
Yeah, the old joke that "if you fail, you can always join the army". They really are trying hard to recruit people and offer incentives. I had a great chat with my local Army Careers officer at our last school careers convention, and the idea of taking a gap year commission really appealed to me. But I thought about it and I don't think I have what it takes, Sandhurst is no joke and I don't think I have the leadership skills to be an Officer. Plenty of other career roads though, right? It's just the thought of sitting at a desk job depresses me.

Permabanned
Shelster said:
Join the Royal Navy. You don't have to live in a ditch and you also get to use the internet at work :D

The thing is...not everyone's cut out for a career based around ritual bumming.

*n

Permabanned
2 more again, can Blair keep justifying the British Army being in Iraq

Monday, 29 May 2006, 09:40 GMT

Two UK soldiers killed in Basra

A roadside bomb has killed two British soldiers in southern Iraq.

The Ministry of Defence said two members of the Queen's Dragoon Guards were killed in Basra at 1830 BST on Sunday, and two others were injured

Back
Top Bottom