1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking About Watercooling

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by siclilmonkey, 12 May 2006.

1. siclilmonkey

Hitman

first things first my setup

AMD Opty 146 @ 3ghz; 1.55v
    idle - 36c
    load - 45c

DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR
    Crucial 2GB (2x1GB) DDR PC4000 Ballistix Dual Channel Kit
    ATI Radeon X1800 XT 512MB
    2x 160gb HDD in RAID-0
    Enermax Liberty 620W
    CoolerMaster Stacker RC-810
    Thermalright xp120

Iv been toying with the idear to go with watercooling for some time know so i thought id get some info b4 i take the dive.

first question would watercooling enable me to clock my opty anymore?

how much is this going to cost me to get a good WC setup?

i have a CM stacker case with 5x120mm fans in i take it that that will be adequte air flow for WC

is it worth cooling the northbrige chip with water or is the stock HSF good enough?

what make of watercooling hardware should i be looking at? iv read that danger den and swiftech are good makes?

thanks for the help if u need any info off me just ask

2. M@rt

Gangster

See here

Basic consensus was that for the money spent you will not see that much more performance with watercooling on a modern low power CPU, but it can lower system noise significantly and cool those blisteringly hot GPU's. More importantly its fun :)

Without pricing up I would generalise that a decent custom watercooling system can easily knock you back £150 to £200.

M@rt

3. Rob43

Mobster

It's going to cost you between £150-200 for a good set up,but can be had cheaper second hand.
    As far as your overclock goes,i don't think you will get much more from it,i can boot into windows with mine @3.2 but can't get it stable.So i run mine @3Ghz 24/7 using the same voltage as you are for yours.I would'nt bother cooling the northbridge,not worth the bother imo,just use a zalman.
    The main reason i use water is the noise,my system is more or less silent with temps Idle29C Load44C & thats with a block on my X1900XT so keeps that silent as well :D
    The swiftech apex is a good kit & so is DD stuff,but you could shop around for seperate parts,loads of good stuff out there

Stay away from cheapo kits though mate,not worth the money

Rob