Thinking of buying a new PC - good enough spec?

Associate
Hi - I am thinking about purchasing a new desktop PC from HP. I am not an expert so just wanted to see if you guys think this spec is good or not. I will use the pc mainly for work/ browsing and occasionally gaming. My wife wants to use CAD (she is an architect)

My friend said that building your own pc may be better but I simply don't have the time and knowledge to embark on such a task so I am thinking of getting a decent tower/ display instead. The spec below is for an all in one pc from HP and i could buy it for £610 with discount. The website also says that this pc is upgradable. Many thanks for your help!

Windows 10 Home 64Intel® Core™ i5-1035G1 (1.0 GHz base frequency, up to 3.6 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 6 MB L3 cache, 4 cores)

60.45 cm (23.8") diagonal FHD IPS, anti-glare, three-sided micro-edge display

8 GB memory; 256 GB PCIe® SSD storage

Graphics (integrated)
Intel® UHD Graphics

HP Truevision HD privacy camera; USB Keyboard & Mouse

Last edited:
Soldato
Think you're borderline on the forum rules maybe... As you're asking about an OcUK competitor desktop product in effect :p

Either way, that PC will be fine for browsing and general office usage, but you will not be able to game on integrated Intel UHD graphics I'm afraid.

Does your wife as a CAD architect not need a fairly high-end rig using a workstation graphics card? (which are pretty pricey) I don't know much about CAD, but fairly sure I've heard you need a good CPU/GPU combined to render at any decent speed...

I mean one site after a quick Google suggests a Nvidia GeForce 1660 Super could do OK... but another states Autodesk don't certify GeForce cards, and you'd be best going with at least a Nvidia Quadro P2000 which is about £450 for just the graphics card alone. But then some other YouTube reviews have been using 1080Ti, 2070 Super so you could maybe go for one of those.

But your budget will likely have to come up a fair bit from £600...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'd strongly recommend you clarify what she needs because the requirements for your average desktop PC are completely different to a CAD workstation and if time is money, it could be really annoying if she doesn't have something fast enough.

All-in-one PCs are not usually something you can upgrade (except for memory) and that it uses a mobile CPU makes that even more unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom