1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of getting BF2, couple of questions

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by GSXRMovistar, 3 May 2006.

1. GSXRMovistar

Sgarrista

A couple of years back I used to really be into Wolfenstein ET where I played on various servers with a group of mates but due to various reasons I stopped playing. Anyhow I’d now like to get back into a decent multiplayer game and I like the look of BF2, which I played a fair bit of in single player mode.

So a couple of questions before I decide to go out and pick up a copy:-

1) Is this game still popular and is it easy for a newbie to get into online (ie friendly servers that don’t mind people who aren’t pros)?
    2) How’s the cheating with this game? One of the reasons why I stopped ET was the amount of people using hacks etc.
    3) Do I need any expansion packs to be able to play on the majority of servers?

Cheers :)

EDIT: just realised I posted this in the wrong section, could a kind Don please move it, Thanks.

Last edited: 3 May 2006
  2. DaveyD

Man of Honour

Wrong forum ? :)

From what I believe, it's still a very popular game. I think all you really need is the most up to date patch to really get into it, don't think the expansion packs are really required.

3. GSXRMovistar

Sgarrista

Yep, should have been in PC Games.

4. 4T5

Man of Honour

Hi Dude.
    Yes it's still massively popular with many people online and loads of servers up 24/7.
    All you need is a copy of vanilla BF2 and the latest patch.
    Once done pop along to the OcUK BF2 clan thread and get the current forum members xfire and MSN addys.
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17568926

Although you will be noob you will be welcomed and it's much easier to help whilst using xfire MSN or Teamspeak.

Hope to hear from you soon. :)

5. GSXRMovistar

Sgarrista

Just popped across the road and picked up a copy :D , I'm on MSN but just need to find out what this xfire is. /goes off to google.

6. MajorPart

Gangster

Xfire= Gamers version of MSN..

7. GSXRMovistar

Sgarrista

Well I've been playing a few hours here and there and Christ how different is online compared to single player?

Even on the harder single player settings I do okay, but when playing online I seem to be getting ripped to shreds. Can sneak up behind someone else, unload a whole clip into them (without any effect it seems) then they turn around, one shot and I'm dead?!?!?

Same thing happing over long distances, other players taking me out whilst running with one shot. :(

When your points/experience increase does this improve accuracy or anything?

8. Deliverance

Gangster

Fraid not. It'll take a while to get used to. Just dont go unleashing a whole clip into someone as thats a shore fire way to miss with every round. Burst fire or single shot is best unless your up close.

Also depending on what servers you play you may find it easier/harder. Alot of people who play on 50K servers reckon its alot harder because the general skill level of players is a little higher than average, and combined with good team work it can alienate alot of newbies like yourself.

The best way to learn is join a squad with people you know and stick to them like glue. Watch how they play and just copy them. You'll find it alot easier if you play as a team as opposed to rambo style running round on your own (and its more use to the team)

9. Deliverance

Gangster

Edit: Dbl post

10. Digital

Wise Guy

Depends, you can unlock other weapons which are supposedly not better but alternatives, but some are definately much better than others, such as the Spec Ops unlock.

The AK101 is a good default gun, found in the Assualt and Medic classes of MEC.

Proning with single or burst fire works best. Spray 'n pray can work, but like you've already found out they'll just turn around and blow your head off before they actually die.

11. 4T5

Man of Honour

12. fdxd

Gangster

Dont worry about the cheating. It sets the standard right now in preventing cheats.

13. Mobius 1

Capodecina

I was just like you. A few months back, it took me a good week to realise there is a tactic you can use to kill people and avoid bullets easier. Its not cheating nor is it dolphin diving, but when you do come across a enemy soldier my tip is to just press prone as soon as you see him while bursting your shots at his torso/neck area(if he starts to prone too aim for where he will lay down) it does take some practice, though. Its frustrating when all you can hear is the rebound of bullets but cant see anyone. I hate snipers, lol. :p And as everyone said its a team game too. Most people on pub servers will give you a hand i.e pickups etc. But some will kill you for your vehicle i.e chopper or plane. Just takes a bit of time and practice. I find the easiest class to start off with is medic, then maybe support (as that is my class) mg36 for the win.

14. Hlebio

Perma Banned

Thinking about getting this game too.

Wondering how it will run on my setup (see sig), will I be able to play in the biggest servers?

15. 4T5

Man of Honour

16. Yewen

Capodecina

If your interested I have added you to my msn, I would gladly show you the ropes on a empty server and get you up to speed on 1v1. :)

We have the first [OcUK] game tonight at 7pm, if you pop along to that and get on teamspeak2 then you would have a good time even if you cant hit a barn door, I for one always need a medic as backup and not enough people play as medic to heal people.

More info such as the server details are at www.keyboardwarriors.co.uk

17. DJammyRasta

Mobster

yep single fire prone firing is the only way to be accurate... unless ** touching them with ** gun i do this in every single firefight

obviously when ** at point blank range a good bit of circle strafing is the preferred option but most of the time hit the dirt and a couple of shots to the chest will drop them

i also say play as a medic... ** teammates will love u.. u will get loads of points for heals/revives... and u can heal urself after every fight ;)

18. Tachyon

Wise Guy

I just picked up the game a couple of days ago & thats my thoughts exactly. Sometimes as soon as I see an enemy player I'm torn apart. I'd be grateful of help as well with the game. Tried popping on to the OcUK server there but it was full.

Malc, could you explain more about "joining a squad & taking a back seat." I've noticed squad beside where I choose my kit but I've no idea what it's for so have never used it. I've a whole load of questions to throw at you too, I'll try to figure out this xfire chat thing & torture you lot. :)

19. Yewen

Capodecina

Add me to msn mate, I will explain all in a empty server, run you through the basics. :)

20. cheesyface

Gangster

I've got almost exactly the same setup and can run with just about everything maxed out.