Thinking of getting BF2, couple of questions

Soldato
A couple of years back I used to really be into Wolfenstein ET where I played on various servers with a group of mates but due to various reasons I stopped playing. Anyhow I’d now like to get back into a decent multiplayer game and I like the look of BF2, which I played a fair bit of in single player mode.

So a couple of questions before I decide to go out and pick up a copy:-

1) Is this game still popular and is it easy for a newbie to get into online (ie friendly servers that don’t mind people who aren’t pros)?
2) How’s the cheating with this game? One of the reasons why I stopped ET was the amount of people using hacks etc.
3) Do I need any expansion packs to be able to play on the majority of servers?

Cheers :)

EDIT: just realised I posted this in the wrong section, could a kind Don please move it, Thanks.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Wrong forum ? :)

From what I believe, it's still a very popular game. I think all you really need is the most up to date patch to really get into it, don't think the expansion packs are really required.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Hi Dude.
Yes it's still massively popular with many people online and loads of servers up 24/7.
All you need is a copy of vanilla BF2 and the latest patch.
Once done pop along to the OcUK BF2 clan thread and get the current forum members xfire and MSN addys.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17568926

Although you will be noob you will be welcomed and it's much easier to help whilst using xfire MSN or Teamspeak.

Hope to hear from you soon. :)

Soldato
OP
Well I've been playing a few hours here and there and Christ how different is online compared to single player?

Even on the harder single player settings I do okay, but when playing online I seem to be getting ripped to shreds. Can sneak up behind someone else, unload a whole clip into them (without any effect it seems) then they turn around, one shot and I'm dead?!?!?

Same thing happing over long distances, other players taking me out whilst running with one shot. :(

When your points/experience increase does this improve accuracy or anything?

Associate
GSXRMovistar said:
Well I've been playing a few hours here and there and Christ how different is online compared to single player?

Even on the harder single player settings I do okay, but when playing online I seem to be getting ripped to shreds. Can sneak up behind someone else, unload a whole clip into them (without any effect it seems) then they turn around, one shot and I'm dead?!?!?

Same thing happing over long distances, other players taking me out whilst running with one shot. :(

Fraid not. It'll take a while to get used to. Just dont go unleashing a whole clip into someone as thats a shore fire way to miss with every round. Burst fire or single shot is best unless your up close.

Also depending on what servers you play you may find it easier/harder. a lot of people who play on 50K servers reckon its a lot harder because the general skill level of players is a little higher than average, and combined with good team work it can alienate a lot of newbies like yourself.

The best way to learn is join a squad with people you know and stick to them like glue. Watch how they play and just copy them. You'll find it a lot easier if you play as a team as opposed to rambo style running round on your own (and its more use to the team)

Associate
GSXRMovistar said:

Depends, you can unlock other weapons which are supposedly not better but alternatives, but some are definately much better than others, such as the Spec Ops unlock.

The AK101 is a good default gun, found in the Assualt and Medic classes of MEC.

Proning with single or burst fire works best. Spray 'n pray can work, but like you've already found out they'll just turn around and blow your head off before they actually die.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
GSXRMovistar said:
Snipped
Hi dude.
As deliverance says it's most important to shoot burst fire. Spraying thankfully gets you knowhere in BF2.
As mentioned for your first online experience you should really join a squad and take a back seat. Going medic as noob is a great way to learn and still make a contribution to your team and squad members. Make it your mission to heal though Not kill. Spawn, drop meddy packs and heal heal heal.

Also you may have your settings to high for your system and online play.
If you find yourself being out drawn and beaten to the kill time and time again i would suggest lowering your settings.

Bare in mind though that BF2 has been out for quite some time there are many players out there that have hundreds of hours gameplay. I myself have over 800 hours logged.
Also BF2 is a team game. If you are on a crap team and the other team has Teamspeak and are organised you will find it much harder.
Try to find a server that places clan on both sides and not the usual one sided point fest.

Like all online games a lot depends on the server you are playing on and the team you are playing with.
Find the right server and team and BF2 is the best gaming experience bar none.

Don't forget we are now in the process of putting together an Oc team.
Add all Oc to xfire and MSN and come play public with us.
Screaming shouting and laughing whilst killing or being killed is great fun.
Having a full squad of mates to maraude around publics is excellent and will help anyone get up to speed.

Soldato
I was just like you. A few months back, it took me a good week to realise there is a tactic you can use to kill people and avoid bullets easier. Its not cheating nor is it dolphin diving, but when you do come across a enemy soldier my tip is to just press prone as soon as you see him while bursting your shots at his torso/neck area(if he starts to prone too aim for where he will lay down) it does take some practice, though. Its frustrating when all you can hear is the rebound of bullets but cant see anyone. I hate snipers, lol. :p And as everyone said its a team game too. Most people on pub servers will give you a hand i.e pickups etc. But some will kill you for your vehicle i.e chopper or plane. Just takes a bit of time and practice. I find the easiest class to start off with is medic, then maybe support (as that is my class) mg36 for the win.

Permabanned
Thinking about getting this game too.

Wondering how it will run on my setup (see sig), will I be able to play in the biggest servers?

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Hlebio said:
snipped
Dude you have no worrys with your spec Buy iy and Buy it NOW. Then sign on for the Oc BF2 team. :cool:

System specs and BF2 make me laugh. I run an old socket A pushing 6k on 3D 05.
Have untold hours logged and have had minimal problems. Those that are familiar with there systems should not have problems running BF2. Those that have no clue, run loads of progs in background or basically just dont know how to set up and tweak there system properly for one particular game are those that have probs. ;)

Your system should chew it up and spit it out asking for more. :)

Dons flameproof suit and legs it. :D

Soldato
If your interested I have added you to my msn, I would gladly show you the ropes on a empty server and get you up to speed on 1v1. :)

We have the first [OcUK] game tonight at 7pm, if you pop along to that and get on teamspeak2 then you would have a good time even if you cant hit a barn door, I for one always need a medic as backup and not enough people play as medic to heal people.

More info such as the server details are at www.keyboardwarriors.co.uk

Soldato
yep single fire prone firing is the only way to be accurate... unless ** touching them with ** gun i do this in every single firefight

obviously when ** at point blank range a good bit of circle strafing is the preferred option but most of the time hit the dirt and a couple of shots to the chest will drop them

i also say play as a medic... ** teammates will love u.. u will get loads of points for heals/revives... and u can heal urself after every fight ;)

Associate
GSXRMovistar said:

I just picked up the game a couple of days ago & thats my thoughts exactly. Sometimes as soon as I see an enemy player I'm torn apart. I'd be grateful of help as well with the game. Tried popping on to the OcUK server there but it was full.

Malc, could you explain more about "joining a squad & taking a back seat." I've noticed squad beside where I choose my kit but I've no idea what it's for so have never used it. I've a whole load of questions to throw at you too, I'll try to figure out this xfire chat thing & torture you lot. :)

Back
Top Bottom