Thinking of getting into car valeting ?

Soldato
v0n said:
The £40 valet service.
First. At that price there is plenty of established car wash places to pick from, and you'll think twice before you hand over keys to your car to just anyone to play around inside while you're at work. That alone puts a door to door "man and a sponge" type of business in immediate disadvantage.

Second. no one's going to wash their car for £40 every day, so you would need a heck of a car park to serve 3 cars a day every day.

Third. Ask yourself how many people do you know that would pay £40 for car wash?

You seem to have missed the point.

This would be himself marketing his bussiness as a more superior service. Okay you can pay £6 to go through the car wash and get swirl marks and all kinds of crap knocked off your car. Or some person who's doing a job because they have to who probably doesn't care if he didn't clean inside the wheel archs or wax the backs of the mirrors, or, you can pay £40 and have someone spend 3 hours detailing your car using high quality products and paying attention to detail.

Imagine someone in an office or does nights or something who doesn't really get time to clean thier car. I'm sure they'd be willing to pay a fair price to have a good job done.

You say no one will pay £40, well I disagree. We saw only a few weeks ago that guy who charges thousands to clean cars, or £500 to detail a car.

Ok this is on a slightly less grand scale but I feel if he puts the effort in, perhaps has some before and after shots, builds a portfolio and reputation it could take off, and like I showed earlier, he could in theory earn up to £120 a day before overheads.

He will also have to check out the competion though, see what services are about, quality of work, quality of the products used and if he could do a better job himself.

Soldato
Buy a truck wash franchise.

Its a pressure washer bolted into the back of a Mercedes Vito, and you go around truck depots and parcel warehouses washing vans and lorries.
It pays more, and the work is almost nailed on week in week out.
Even better, dont buy a franchise, set the wagon up yourself.

Ill take 10% of your first months takings for that brilliant career guidance thanks.

Associate
I think detailing would be the best bet, as has been suggested.

I have started doing it as an extra earner. I done one detail last week on my work mates car and charged him £50. Ok, i could have charged more, but he is my work mate, what i am now relying on is that he spreads the word around about what a good job i did.

Oh, and if you think it would be an easy money earner, think again. It can be very tiring.

I think doing a basic valeting service would be very boring after a while, imagine, washing 10 cars a day, 5 days a week :/

Associate
I do this as a Saturday job just for some extra penny's but I enjoy it but the only difference is I do it for one person.

The guy has 8 cars modern/classics 3 classic bikes and a helicopter. I'll do maybe 1 or 2 cars a day.

He has me do it because of my dedication to detail and extreme care and I only progressed onto the more expensive cars because he noticed this. Also it's all in door work in a hanger which is ideal for in the winter as it has central heating.

I only charge £8 an hour but all the products are supplied, hoovers, pressure washer and there's a washing machine for the cloths to be washed.

He has asked me if I wanted to do another day there as he has a boat which needs doing to (moored at the local docks).

Where I am going with this is that there doesn't happen to be a local millionaire near you? Get your foot in the door there and then expand. I think I could seriously start this full time for he obviously knows a lot of other millionaires that he could put me onto so if you got yourself into my situation you could make a decent living from it.

Where I am I could charge £15 an hour and he would have me but I am happy with what I get.

I don't want to do it full time as I need different types of work to keep me interested otherwise the work feels stagnated and I lose interest.

Also for mobile work the startup costs are not going to be cheap! £30K minimum for a fully kitted out van i'd say.

I would say you should look into it but do it as a side line until you find out what your market is. Don't give up your job yet! :)

Back
Top Bottom