Thinking of selling car, and buying a...

Permabanned
MOPED!

Yes its a crazy idea, but I cant afford to run my car anymore.
I have had a 2002 Audi S3 for around 5 months now, and its a majorly expensive to run.. fuel, servicing, fixing problems, insurance, tax.. its all too much, way more than I expect it to be.. its got to go :(
Ive spend over £5k keeping it on the road since ive had it. Averaging 18mpg is no joke.

Im in major overdraft, and even though Im gonna graduate this summer, I really havnt even got enough money to keep me going through this next semester, let alone run this car.

Can someone who has been here talk me through moped ownership. Is it really as cheap as I think? or should I get a bus pass...

Permabanned
Or buy a cheap motorbike. Perhaps a simple 125cc machine. For example last year I got an RS125 and it costs me £8 to fill a full tank, £15 per year tax, £150 a year to insure (im a new rider with no experience), £100 for CBT provisional liscence (you cant fail - its more a course really), and only £800 for the bike of which I made profit on when I sold it. Plus it goes faster than an Audi A3 ;) and looks nicer ;) (well up to 90mph lol

Man of Honour
You have an S3? Jeez you kept THAT quiet! Last time you were posting on here you had some godawful Leon 1.6 base model!

Keep the S3, it's worth it becuase it's more than a car - it's a hobby.

Soldato
More to the point.....

£5k in running/repair costs over 5 months.... That's insanely expensive... that's Ferrari/Lambo running costs! :eek:

Man of Honour
timbob said:
More to the point.....

£5k in running/repair costs over 5 months.... That's insanely expensive... that's Ferrari/Lambo running costs! :eek:

Makes you wonder how he's done it on what is, despite being an S3, effectively a Golf/Seat 1.8T..

Soldato
timbob said:
More to the point.....

Hardly, he mentioned insurance in there so for a student in an s3 I am guessing that is a pretty hefty chunk of the £5k...though the claimed mpg is getting closer :p

Soldato
That's some pretty mad MPG for an S3! The S4 I am looking at has an average of 24MPG on the computer unit and thats a 2.7 twin turbo engine and the current owner didn't strike as much of a fuel conservation nut either LOL

Soldato
You don't need a car, just get a plain simple 1.4 or 1.6 Civic/Almera/Corolla. Something that never needs anything doing to it, and will run well for years even if you forget to service it.

Soldato
You must be footing it a bit, the lowest MPG I saw on an S3 was 10, at cruising speed it is much higher.

A crazy decision to get an S3 at 20 years old, insurance must cost a lot even if you are a 2nd driver!

Associate
50/50 said:
Ive spend over £5k keeping it on the road since ive had it. Averaging 18mpg is no joke.

given those running costs and fuel economy might i suggest unhitching the trailer full of lead you appear to have been towing.. or maybe trying the other 4 gears out? :)

being serious though, what on earth has cost you £5k in six months? is that including insurance?

Permabanned
sniper007 said:
Or buy a cheap motorbike. Perhaps a simple 125cc machine. For example last year I got an RS125 and it costs me £8 to fill a full tank, £15 per year tax, £150 a year to insure (im a new rider with no experience), £100 for CBT provisional liscence (you cant fail - its more a course really), and only £800 for the bike of which I made profit on when I sold it. Plus it goes faster than an Audi A3 ;) and looks nicer ;) (well up to 90mph lol

just sold my rs125 it did 127mph de-restricted and tuned

kills any car off the line too

Soldato
£5000?! Good grief, have you systematically broken every major part? :p

Seriously though, why go from one extreme to the other? Wouldn't it make more sense to simply get a cheap to buy, cheap to run car? That way you'd still retain the practicality of the car but have far cheaper running costs.

Back
Top Bottom