Thinking of starting wow any advice welcome

Caporegime
Its incredibly rare, I died at most about 10 times levelling my way to 80 to ganks on my Shaman.

In Vanilla warcraft, getting ganked was part and parcel of leveling.

Leveling my alt mage (now my main) I was ganked easily in excess of 200 times. STV is a ****ing awful place.

Now, leveling alts, it hardly happens :)

PvP serves are often less mature, but sometimes much more fun to play on.

Associate
STV is a ****ing awful place.

It's also about the only place where the tables in ganking are turned against the allies. And the only place you can be ganked, safe in the knowledge that it wasn't the owners of the 4 highly geared female night elf hunters and rogues that ganked your lonesome character, who won't be bragging in the playground the next day about how their was only 1 of them at lvl 35 and how they did 5 of you in S3+ arena gear.

Associate
Don't, unless you have vast amounts of time- not in education or something that requires lots of your own time.

Play horde and on a pvp server where pugs, skill and progression is far better compared to a pve server.

Some recommended servers i'd suggest would be- Al'akir, Outland, Frostmane and Stormscale im sure others will have their recommendations.

Soldato
Echo many post - don't.
Not because it will "rule your life" etc - you can play any MMORPG without it taking over your life.
It's just wow is so...mehh
You'll have reached level cap in a month to 6 weeks and be like every other player in the game in around that time scale.
There are "must have" items in the game - so all the level capped characters are simply "cookie cutters", more or less identical to one another as to remain competitive you have to have certain items etc.

I won't say there is much else out there that is any better.
And if you've got a spare 6 weeks to start, reach level cap, have a "laugh" during the end game and then quit - go for it.

Associate
I imagine levelling up would be quite a lonely process now... I wouldn't bother. Also you can be sure that every item in the game has been found a bajillion times so there's nothing to make u unique anymore :'(.

Soldato
*fends off the WoW sucks / takes up all your time / other silly comments*

Pretty much all aspects have been commented on above, so i'll cover the often overlooked one.

I think this goes for all MMO's, but probably the most important thing is finding a decent guild (clan, community etc). 80 levels on your own can be a mind numbing experience, so if you've got any mates who are playing / in a decent guild, try and get in. If none of your mates play it then its gonna be harder getting into a good one starting out as a new player.
As WoW has a huge player base, it may seem like there's a lot of people with the mental capacity of a dead goat, but these are the minority towards the end-game, at least on my server anyway :)

EDIT: Also, if you don't wanna try it just yet, an option is to wait for the next expansion (Cataclysm). This will give the old world (lvl 1-60) a shot in the arm, changing many features. It will also mean that all those players who are lvl 80 now, will be back in the original 2 continents. At the moment they are pretty much desolate apart from the odd couple of people leveling a new character / a few new starters. At a total guess on release date id say....summer 2010?...ish :)

Last edited:
Associate
If you imagine a warrior to be a Conan sort of character you will be sorely disappointed!

All he does at higher level is have massive amounts of armour and stand there MAKING the monsters attack him, while the rest of the party does the actual killing.

Its a wonderful game but that was my greatest sadness when I started!

Associate
Don't join a guild. Your guildmates will give you loads of money and stuff to help you level faster. This will spoil the game for you. Don't level fast - take it slow, explore, enjoy the content. The objective is NOT to level as quickly as possible.

Don't join a guild. You will constantly be harrassed by lower level guildmates to "help". That is to say play the game for them because they are too lazy or impatient to do it the slow way, and they have no respect for your time and gaming experience.

Before you start get a few essential add-ons. They are free and plug a few holes. Get advice from current players about which are good and necessary.

The advice about playing lots of different characters initially is good. It should only take about 5 hours to get a character to level 10 by which time you will have a good feel for it. Levelling becomes a lot slower as your level gets higher.

Do not visit the wow forums - they are SO depressing, they spoil the game.

Use the auction house to make money. Being a financial tycoon is a mini-game in its own right.

WoW is a very good single person game - you do not have to get too involved with the multiplayer aspects if you just want a long brilliant single player game with a multiplayer background experience - bit like going for a walk on your own in a crowded city (if you know what I mean :).

Associate
used WoW to stop smoking, just clicked away instead of having a tab......

novelty wore off about 3 months in......back on 20 a day......arse!!!

Its a life stealer, try Sunstrider realm....play as horde.....always was a bit biased towards the good guys in that realm

Associate
some good tips so far about using the auction house, made a fortune on raw mats...... thats how i bought my mounts.....getting your first 1000 gold can seem like a huge task at first but learn to sell just about everything and you will get there,

depending on what kind of player you turn out to be (see advice on playing as several characters), i f i could do it all again (i.e could be arsed) i would not go down the Tank route, although it does tend to make you popular if you are a good tank......really wish i had gone mage.....sigh

Associate
What Baz said above I urge you do try take it slow, i found myself rushing my first character and lost interest quite quickly until i re-rolled Al'akir, even then it wasn't amazingly fun for me to play more to take up time id rather it be taken by a game than ending up like one of the idiots i see knocking about :)

If you ever need any help then get in touch ill point you in any way you need Ive got just about every class (except warrior) but not at high level, druid/priest are my mains :D

Soldato
If you have no plan to hardcore the game then don't waste your time.

Plus I think playing an MMO which is several years old just kills the enjoyment. If you want to start an MMO pick up a recent one like Aion, or an upcoming one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom