• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Thinking of switching to dual core

Soldato
I have an AMD 4000+ at present (S939) which I have clocked to 2.64ghz.

I use this system at work and do a lot of multitasking, as well as playing games etc, so I have been thinking of switching to a dual core.

Can anyone recomend me a decent one which is still failry overclockable?

Associate
You should be able to get higher than 2.64GHz on the dual core opties since they're made with better wafers than the 4000+. :)

If you aren't in a rush to upgrade, you could wait for Conroe to come out, or M2. That will be quite a while away, but if you have a 4000+, the rest of your system probably won't be anywhere near obsolete. :p

Btw, the link in your signature doesn't work.

Soldato
smids said:
If he gets them to 2.6ghz dual (pretty easy on the Opti's), yes.
Are these Opterons better than X2 of about the same price? Say an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+ (Socket 939) for example

Soldato
Clown said:
Are these Opterons better than X2 of about the same price? Say an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+ (Socket 939) for example
Well yes, but only when overclocked. They are exactly the same Cores and as a result, when at the same clock speed, will be exactly the same. Overclocking wise, they are slightly better but my recent X2 4400+ (Year 05 Week 46) is a good clocker as you can see in my sig and will probably beat any of the Week 51 05 opti's which are quite poor clockers. Don't forget, the X2 4400+ is 200mhz faster at stock than a 170 opti and 400mhz faster than a 165 :).

Soldato
smids said:
If he gets them to 2.6ghz dual (pretty easy on the Opti's), yes.
translation: ;)

"From what I have read 2.6GHz doesn't seem impossible to reach, but as I haven't ever owned an Opteron I can't say for sure, however there are a lot of users who have posted their results and I have read 100's of them, looks hopeful but you never know how stable these results are (not many people have run meaty stability tests or posted any screenshots!) or indeed how extreme the testing conditions are?. One guy who posted extremely good results has his computer in pieces, in a freezing cold room (10°C ambient brrrrr) the motherboard is sitting right next to an open window with a chilly draft blowing directly onto it, and the IHS has been removed from the CPU (mess up a IHS removal and you have a £300 medallion!). Not sure if these testing conditions are applicable to you as you may be one of those freaky types who likes to have all his components inside a *closed case* using quiet aircooling fans, and like to sit in a warm room!" :)

more info here:

*** Official Opteron 170 Ocing Thread ***

Last edited:
Soldato
Big.Wayne said:
translation: ;)

"From what I have read 2.6GHz doesn't seem impossible to reach, but as I haven't ever owned an Opteron I can't say for sure, however there are a lot of users who have posted their results and I have read 100's of them, looks hopeful but you never know how stable these results are (not many people have run meaty stability tests or posted any screenshots!) or indeed how extreme the testing conditions are?. One guy who posted extremely good results has his computer in pieces, in a freezing cold room (10°C ambient brrrrr) the motherboard is sitting right next to an open window with a chilly draft blowing directly onto it, and the IHS has been removed from the CPU (mess up a IHS removal and you have a £300 medallion!). Not sure if these testing conditions are applicable to you as you may be one of those freaky types who likes to have all his components inside a *closed case* using quiet aircooling fans, and like to sit in a warm room!" :)

more info here:

*** Official Opteron 170 Ocing Thread ***
Lool - yeah that's about right.

Soldato
Looks like I'm getting one of these Opteron things and a random motherboard, and a 7900GTX 512MB. Or something. Thanks. Are these locked in any way?

Last edited:
Soldato
Squidge said:
Multiplier is locked upwards, but not downwards, so the 170 gives you upto 10x multy, whilst 165 only gives you upto 9x.
Thanks for your help. That Asus motherboard should be alright for overclocking? I don't really want to read through 20 pages to find out about all the problems people are having. I think I'm going to get the X1900XTX because it's 100 quid cheaper and the difference isn't that great.

Sorry for hijacking your thread man.

Back
Top Bottom