Thinking of upgrading to the LG 27GL850-B

Associate
Hello

I purchased a Dell S2417DG (TN) about a year and a half ago, I was sold by the 1440p 165hz 1ms G-SYNC features because I was playing primarly Quake (fast paced AFPS) so I didn't care about good graphics or anything I just wanted high hz at 1440p. Straight out of the box this monitor had HORRIBLE, and I cant emphasise just how horrible the colour banding was on this thing (these monitors are notorious for it which I learned after I purchased, ofcourse) and colours were also really washed out compared to my 1080p monitor but I had just spent £400 on this and except for the colour banding it was fine, I couldn't be arsed sending it back so I stuck with it. Any game that isn't dark and gloomy (like horror games or, dark souls for example) was fine but anything that had tranistions from black to any other colour was blocky as hell, so even watching videos on youtube or movies is bad, I actually just watch them on my 1080p monitor instead to this day.

Anyway, I've always been interested in an IPS but would never get one because the price of a 1440p 144hz 1ms IPS monitor wasn't viable for me back then, tbh even if I had the money I couldn't have justified spending the amount a monitor like that cost. But I just came across the LG 27GL850-B about a week ago and I am obsessed, it looks like the perfect monitor for me. I have seen that setting the monitor to the 1ms setting (faster preset) causes some pixel trailing, but at the fast preset is pretty much perfect and is something like 4ms response time.

I've never looked much into response times, always just went for the 1ms, but is there really any noticeable difference from 1ms and 4ms? It doesn't sound like there is but, maybe there's something I don't know about it all. I don't play as much shooters at the moment but I would like to know that when I do play I'm not at a disadvantage against people with 1ms monitors. Tbh from what I've looked up, that's the only negative I can find about this monitor.

Can anyone who has this monitor reccommend it or give me some pro's and con's? I'm really tempted to buy this thing, I would love to get it in time for my 3080 arriving if I'm lucky enough to pick one up tomorrow, but I need to know about any known issues or problems related to this monitor as I don't want to make the same mistake as I made on my last monitor purchase.

Thanks

Soldato
I’m getting the LG 27GN950-B which is this years model of the one you're interested in. Main difference is this year they’ve bumped the resolution up to 4K.

Can’t comment on it yet as I haven’t got it yet but the reviews are good. Should be plenty of reviews of the one you’re interested in.

Associate
Hi.
You consider yourself as hardcore gamer ? Or casual.
A lot of fps, competitive ? Or not too much.

LG27GN850 ? (New one)

Did you check other sellers like Dell ?
Dell 27 S2721DGF

Back
Top Bottom