Thinking of Upgrading

Associate
It's been two years nearly since I built the PC from parts bought from here, and now thinking of upgrading. I barely game on it and have discovered 3D modelling and editing as a new hobby. I have 3ds Max on a student license as I am now a mature student. As well as After Effects software.

Current system:
X58A-UD3r Revision 1 motherboard
Core I7-920 overclocked (come to that later)
6GB of Corsair XMs3 Ram (TR3X6G1600C9) I not sure if this is overclocked or not.
Ati HIS 5850 at stock
2 HD in raid for speed
Big noctua CPU cooler
Antec 750W

I am thinking of upgrading the GFX card and memory as I use the 3d and editing software a lot more.

I want to keep the overclock of my CPU as my system is stable and CPU-Z reads as:
Core speed: 4011.94MHZ
Multipler: x21
Bus: 191
Core voltage: 1.264 (whilst writing this and with Chrome open)

Memory:
9-9-9-24 2T 1.650V

I don't want any changes to mess up the settings as I want to keep the CPU overclock, and I had a nightmare getting it this far, but been fine for last two years.

Anyway, what recommendations can you make? Obviously the RAM has to fit under the CPU cooler and something under £100. 12-16GB of Ram could be good.

GFX card no more than £200, and preferable NVIDIA due to Cuda. I know Quadro would be better, but they are slightly pricey in this world. If I did play games I would not want the GFX card to be slower than this Ati one that I have and that I would like it as quite as possible - no jet engine turbine noise is needed :p

Any advice?

Back
Top Bottom