This Business and Moment...

Soldato
To be honest, I had my first wave of anxiety since the whole pandemic began. I'd overlooked a couple of payments out from my company bank account - VAT, personal and upcoming corporations tax - and had a slight panic about what the firm's finances might look like in six months' time! That said, I always make these napkin calculations on the basis that we don't generate any revenue between now and then... which is highly unlikely as things are going ok in general.

I'd hoped to have the same looking balance sheet as I had two years' ago - but having bought a house one year and then renovated it this - but I now expect to be a fair bit lower than that. I think I just need a few things to move - we're in limbo on a load of work stuff and on the house renovation. Hopefully in a couple of weeks time things will be flying again.

Good to see you got offered the full time role - very good package to be on in the current climate!

What sector do you generally operate in? From what I've seen Finance roles in my area have really picked up already, hell my place is probably looking at at least 6 new roles between now and the end of the year, possibly double that depending on what the new operating model looks like.

Can see next year being a good one, a lot of talented people are going to find themselves disappointed with their bonuses and will be looking to move, could see a nice little merry-go-round of activity.

Soldato
What sector do you generally operate in? From what I've seen Finance roles in my area have really picked up already, hell my place is probably looking at at least 6 new roles between now and the end of the year, possibly double that depending on what the new operating model looks like.

Can see next year being a good one, a lot of talented people are going to find themselves disappointed with their bonuses and will be looking to move, could see a nice little merry-go-round of activity.

We headhunt into distressed debt and special situations funds and trading desk, as well as some private equity and venture capital funds too. It's a strange time - the bank desks have gradually lost headcount over the last ten years as markets have quietened, meaning that there are simply fewer candidates in the market. Combined with multi-year deferred bonuses and other hurdles, it's actually very hard to move people nowadays. The risk of moving roles during a pandemic is also a factor. Our clients would all love to hire... but finding the right people and getting through a search process when meetings are off the cards is tricky.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I do some work now and again with some of the BAE people in Guildford/Bluefin, really nice bunch to deal with.

Soldato
Totally agree with this. I think a lot of people now days move and change sectors/careers/paths way more than people did in the past. All experience is good experience... well... haha

Yep, we are more aware of the job market now and know "job for life" doesn't exist. Not like the previous generations were told.

Soldato
I don't know whats worse sometimes.

I had to do something earlier and asked a colleague if they could help out. I shared my screen, did one as an example and then asked him to replicate for another 20 departments, and i'd do the other 20 departments.

He's just messaged to say he's finished, so it's taken him about 3 hours, it took me about 40 minutes to do mine. I then checked and he's done them all wrong so i need to redo them all anyway.

The only thing he brings to the company is he makes me look competent :D

Soldato
Ah management are trying to pull the o'l we can't work from home anymore, despite the data showing that my productivity has more than doubled - oh dear. Fortunately I have been able to wrangle an exemption for now and will likely have to put a proper request in. Not a chance will I be going back to a five day in the office week.

Soldato
OP
He's just messaged to say he's finished, so it's taken him about 3 hours, it took me about 40 minutes to do mine. I then checked and he's done them all wrong so i need to redo them all anyway.

I've been teaching this older dude to take over from me the last few weeks. I have the easiest stuff to do, honestly, for ages now I've been thinking this contract is just a joke it's so easy. He has tried numerous times to do this stuff. I've done screenshares, walked him through it 3 times... still can't work it out.

Soldato
The perfect CV just landed on our desk by chance for a job we hadn't advertised for (a different role was advertised) which can finally take some of the strain from me at work. Manager tried to dismiss it claiming we needed apprentices to train up in house. I don't have enough time to do my own work and the extra responsibilities due to lockdown, nevermind spending an extra 6-12 months trying to train someone else up especially when we need the results now to get momentum going.

If they don't formally interview them and offer the job I'm going to have to take a month off because I'm struggling with the work environment. Since they started working from home during lockdown and now slowly returning to the office they've not settled back in claiming they got more done at home. I believe they did because the office slack of actually dealing with customers had to be taken up by those of us who had to stay in the office and our productivity flatlined.

Soldato
Just landed a role as a Senior Project Manager for a FinTech scale up, it's a job I've been chasing for a number of months but finally signed the contract yesterday.

Really looking forward to being in at the ground floor and helping scale the business up, there are bound to be challenges but the technology is stunning and they already have a big portfolio of big names customers.

Yes the whole COVID thing did slow the process down, I should have probably started in March but it got put "on hold" for a while, as you can imagine I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself atm :)

Don
Well after feeling worthless on furlough for four months, completely ignored by my boss and given no indication of when I was being brought back, I have got a new job!

Regardless of the past few months I still would have jumped at this opportunity, new team that I will recruit and manage and endless opportunities. Better package too.

The interviews were a grind but worth it in the end.

Soldato
Well after feeling worthless on furlough for four months, completely ignored by my boss and given no indication of when I was being brought back, I have got a new job!

Regardless of the past few months I still would have jumped at this opportunity, new team that I will recruit and manage and endless opportunities. Better package too.

Nice - congratulations! Good time to be moving go pastures new.

Soldato
OK so now that my security is confirmed and the only thing left is to negotiate a start date, I guess it's all good to update on what the old role was and new role is! Naturally I can't say much more than what might be found online etc.

Originally 8 years as a Technical Analyst (in-house systems/IT/project technical lead etc) for Wightlink Ferries.
I really enjoyed this role and visited the island often to explore and do my shoots and made some amazing friends/work family there some of whom I regularly hang with still but the role itself got a bit stagnant in later years with no route to progress beyond my current level as the 2nd most technically capable person there. A major change last year in shift pattern due to operational needs of the business gave me the final motivation to look at what else was out there that fitted in with my work/life balance.

Applied for and got offered a position working in digital phone forensics for the police which was something I actually applied for before the above but didn't get in because no force experience which was a pre-req back then. This time round I had transferable skills on the table and forces around the country were/are now taking on civilians who have the abilities to do it and training them up.
After some months I realised it was not for me. The technical side of it is no problem and quite enjoyable but the psychological/mental and political side wasn't an area I felt suited me as a person. I also found out this role too is stagnant for anyone looking at the long term. In order to earn more, you've got to get courses and experience under the belt then move elsewhere - Most tend to go private forensic sector where the big money is but the private sector here is very cut-throat with many of the companies that have taken people on working them to the bone.

And here we are today 6 months later about to start as a senior engineer at BAE Systems. I know there is a work family atmosphere here as a family member was a project manager for them for many years before moving to a bigger city and they would always speak highly of it!

Long term goals wise, I love all things space so if in time I can get my foot in the aerospace division door then I'll be extremely chuffed :D

I guess any advice to others unsure about their career paths etc, many people will almost certainly have built up the skills needed for their ideal roles but may not realise it. A lot of skills are transferable between sectors even if the task they helped completed were totally different, the methodology is sill the same. Consider those sorts of aspects of your current role and see how it could fit in to a new role you're looking at and then market that as your USP in an application!

Any decent employer will see those aspects and bring it up at interview and you will be able to talk about it confidently as it's something you already know well.

I worked at BAE in Rochester for 2 years. The atmosphere there was fantastic, the people were great. The pay + other things weren't all that though.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
From what I can tell, the pay/perks do depend on the location and division/role itself. Here I can join the shares incentive scheme as well as the company performance bonuses and retail discounts. Pension scheme looks decent too. At least for down here on the south coast it all looks to be decent anyway!

Great news!

Soldato
Interviewed internally for a more senior role today specializing in SDDC, think I did pretty well, somewhat lacking in the larger scale design experience but see what comes of it.

Back
Top Bottom