This Business and Moment...

Man of Honour
For the first time in 6 years, I've had a full week off, 2 weeks in fact and that was only because it was forced on me as their offices close over Christmas. It's been bliss and a big wake up call. 6 years and I've had 18 days holiday :(

I've been massively stuck in the contractor mind-set for way too long, from this point forth I will be having a lot more time off. It's amazing just how burnt out and tense I was without realising

Soldato
For the first time in 6 years, I've had a full week off, 2 weeks in fact and that was only because it was forced on me as their offices close over Christmas. It's been bliss and a big wake up call. 6 years and I've had 18 days holiday :(

I've been massively stuck in the contractor mind-set for way too long, from this point forth I will be having a lot more time off. It's amazing just how burnt out and tense I was without realising
Glad you had a wake-up call and realised it's not all work work work

Fortunately there's been many wake-up calls recently

Soldato
OP
It's been bliss and a big wake up call. 6 years and I've had 18 days holiday
Yea man, I took 2 full actual weeks off in 8 and a half years over here contracting and the 5 days I was forced to over Christmas, otherwise I was always on. Since going perm I've worked harder, but got all the flexi time back so have been off since start of December. A whole month off. Blow my mind, but I've not been bored in the slightest! I've had a complete blast, done SO much stuff and it's been great.

Man of Honour
One of the best things about switching from contracting to permanent is the holiday. I was given an extra 15 days off this year on top of my usual allowance. We are getting an extra 9 next year too.

Commissario
I've tried to ensure I've taken 20-25 days leave each year since moving to contracting, time off is important!

2020 I'm not sure I managed 15 days though...

Soldato
Love to wake up at 6am again, well 5am but the gyms are still closed:( So no point.

Still working from home and will be until the summer. 7.45am wake ups for now.

Man of Honour
Today, I passed my 3 month probation period.. I've been told to take more leadership and progress into management.. to break down the current Silos .. they are my objectives.

Very happy, and I'm pleased to say that my notes in the sticky still work for the interview process :)

Soldato
Currently in the anxious post-interview waiting period. Applied to a large organisation to do a role that was slightly different to my current job description. They were asking for a certain certification or several years of industry experience, of which I very much tick the latter. So I'm really feeling 50/50 about my prospects.

The interview seemed to go well last Friday afternoon, answered all the questions fairly thoroughly (I think!) but this past week of waiting has just been like torture!!!! Its been 12 years since I've had a job interview and in those 12 years of interviewing people to join my current team I never really batted an eyelid about the corporate time it takes to send out offers / rejection letters. Its completely consumed me this week.

I know large organisations can often take a long time to sort out offers of employment with all the signatures and paperwork that goes with it so I'm not surprised. But wow I'd forgotten how bad this all feels!

Well, I received a job offer for this position during the Christmas period. Its less money than I'm on now and would require relocation (of which I've been offered a relocation package). Not formally accepted it yet, but am going to travel to their site (covid controls permitting) to visit prior to accepting to see if the job really is for me.

If I accept, we then have to get the house on the market and think about moving, then discuss what to do about my partners job (currently on maternity, due to end in March). She could work from home for two days and if absolutely necessary could travel 1.5 hours each way for the one day per week she is required in the office (though currently that would be no days given the lockdown).

Its a tremendous amount to think over. In addition, I don't know how quickly our house would sell, nor how quickly we could buy a house, so may have to commute the 1.5 hours each way each day until its sorted, or, stay in a hotel, which would leave my partner looking after our baby on her own, or even worse, having to work on the days he would be in nursery for.

So damned complicated!!!!

Associate
Finally got my work permit approved after a 1 month layoff since it ran out and was stuck in a covid back log of applicants. Although not the worst time to have off as I'd pretty much wrapped up all last years projects

Looks like the first few months of this year all be working on implementing a few no/low code solutions, seen some huge demand in this area

Associate
Well, I received a job offer for this position during the Christmas period. Its less money than I'm on now and would require relocation (of which I've been offered a relocation package). Not formally accepted it yet, but am going to travel to their site (covid controls permitting) to visit prior to accepting to see if the job really is for me.

If I accept, we then have to get the house on the market and think about moving, then discuss what to do about my partners job (currently on maternity, due to end in March). She could work from home for two days and if absolutely necessary could travel 1.5 hours each way for the one day per week she is required in the office (though currently that would be no days given the lockdown).

Its a tremendous amount to think over. In addition, I don't know how quickly our house would sell, nor how quickly we could buy a house, so may have to commute the 1.5 hours each way each day until its sorted, or, stay in a hotel, which would leave my partner looking after our baby on her own, or even worse, having to work on the days he would be in nursery for.

So damned complicated!!!!

Sounding like a lot of hassle for not much reward unless you think future prospects at this company are much better?

Soldato
Back at work, CFO is outlining big plans for yet another massive project in my area. This will be the 4th year in a row we've done something absolutely massive, and would probably move us from the good spot we're in now to being truly market leading in this field. I'm really struggling to get excited by the prospect though, its been non stop for the best part of 3 years, I've taken this function from one that wasn't performing at all and relying on under performing third party suppliers to being this really solid spot that its in now, and I've been fairly rewarded for that. I just don't think I have it in me to go through another 9 months of hell. I'm not enjoying what I do anymore, I'm at the point that I want to put a bow on this and give it to somebody else to run this one last step.

Soldato
OP
Back at work, CFO is outlining big plans for yet another massive project in my area. This will be the 4th year in a row we've done something absolutely massive, and would probably move us from the good spot we're in now to being truly market leading in this field. I'm really struggling to get excited by the prospect though, its been non stop for the best part of 3 years, I've taken this function from one that wasn't performing at all and relying on under performing third party suppliers to being this really solid spot that its in now, and I've been fairly rewarded for that. I just don't think I have it in me to go through another 9 months of hell. I'm not enjoying what I do anymore, I'm at the point that I want to put a bow on this and give it to somebody else to run this one last step.
I remember you going through all this and sounded like you were really up against it and was a battle to get the upper support you needed. It sounds like you have done really well despite the challenges. Maybe an option is to see if you can be the one to bring someone in and you manage it top level and delegate to them on the things that'll make your life easier? Could you put together a proposal for something like that?

Soldato
Its much more like something I would want to be doing for the rest of my life, that's for sure. Whilst my current place pays more, its just completely grinding me down. Its stressed me out beyond belief, so much so its led me to a prescription for anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds. I feel like I need to get out. I need to enjoy what I do.

And we were thinking about moving to a bigger house soon anyway, so instead it would just be from Warrington to Derby. The main conclusion I am coming to is that I would have to commute for a short while every day from Warrington to Derby (1.5 hours each way) to tie us over until we sell our house and buy another one over in Derby.

Thankfully we have family in Derby, so its not a completely new place to us and it would be good to be closer to them. My partners job can be done remotely too.

Soldato
OP
Its much more like something I would want to be doing for the rest of my life, that's for sure. Whilst my current place pays more, its just completely grinding me down. Its stressed me out beyond belief, so much so its led me to a prescription for anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds. I feel like I need to get out. I need to enjoy what I do.
Ah mate, I understand it from that point of view! From the outset it seemed like a bad move from a distance and money point of view but mental health and enjoying what you're doing is the most important thing, since we're doing it most of our days!

Soldato
Not sure if I should start a new thread for this or just ask here...

My partner is looking at doing agency work for the public sector and has been offered a good hourly rate figure and is likely to work a fortnight then have a fortnight off. She'll set up as a LTD company, and there are no IR35 implications (as in, she is outside its remit). Obviously all due tax will be paid through the LTD company.

Would she still make NI payments individually to ensure state pension contributions are kept up to date?
Is there anything else I need to think about and get her to think about?

She does have an accountant friend who will support her and do her books so will obviously take advice there but thought I'd ask here as well for any general tips/advice. Most of what I can find is websites charging fortunes to help with the set up of the LTD.

Soldato
Applied for 3jobs so far this week, or maybe 4.
After a small flurry of christmas events looks like the event industry is on shut down again. Needing 1day off a week for college is a huge detriment to many jobs and puts off the short term temp jobs. I've now started not to mention it on applications that are linked to college course.
I'm newly self employed and one of the many that fell through SEISS and other means of government funding*. I worked in a distribution centre over the summer and applying for any grants that I may be suitable for. This is the first month I've felt stressed over not earning and no idea when I may again.

*i think I can only apply for JSA.

Soldato
I remember you going through all this and sounded like you were really up against it and was a battle to get the upper support you needed. It sounds like you have done really well despite the challenges. Maybe an option is to see if you can be the one to bring someone in and you manage it top level and delegate to them on the things that'll make your life easier? Could you put together a proposal for something like that?

Had a chat with the CFO today off the back of one of my colleagues handing in his notice.

Our 50 strong finance team is propped up by 4 or 5 really high performing individuals who pick up the slack for entire teams and keep things running. All of us are tired, frustrated with the working conditions, and under massive pressure to keep things ticking over.

CFO chat went surprisingly well, he has asked me to draw up my ideal job spec, what I want to keep, what I want to take on and perhaps most importantly for me what I want to get rid of and he has committed to making it happen. We have a very strong FD coming into our area in the next 4 months to support my specific action of the finance function who will pick up the pieces I want to get rid of (either directly or via recruitment of additional resource) so that can allow me to move into the direction I want to and not risk losing me.

Probably the best offer anybody has ever made me in an employment context, I'm taking it at face value for now and not pondering whether it will actually happen, but its good to feel valued.

Back
Top Bottom