This Business and Moment...

Soldato
OP
Probably the best offer anybody has ever made me in an employment context, I'm taking it at face value for now and not pondering whether it will actually happen, but its good to feel valued.
Wow that's a win. I agree, will it all happen like he says etc. BUT the fact that he's been open to the discussion and put it out there for you to define your ideal job really does show they value your work there. Nice job and keep us updated how it is going!

Soldato
Since lockdown one, I have been essentially managing 3-4 people from an 11 person team.

We all report directly to one manager, but on my performance review late last year, it was barely recognised that I was managing much of the team.

Certainly 3 people from the team approach me directly about everything, as in they never approach my line manager - however I'm not blaming him, since he's probably under the false assumption that a lot of the work is automated.

My question is, do I approach him about it? I've never really thought about a management position but I would like to be recognised and compensated for my efforts.

What would you guys do?

Soldato
OP
What would you guys do?
I'd probably work out what I wanted first; if you'd like to go into management then that could be your plan and your approach would be different to simply making people aware that you're doing what you're doing. Would a step into that sort of role be something you'd like?

From me, I've been in my new role since August. Dealing with the leadership team is a pain in my rear! They don't know enough to make decisions, but want to feel like they are powerful so just slow the simplest of things down. I'm working with all the product lines and product teams to help them establish in their new teams and processes to help them work. It's mega busy and I didn't finish last night until about midnight. Today I'm in meetings until 7pm and have been in meetings since 11. We've just had an announcement was well that all Infra will move from our engineering team to the global company. It's only about 50ish people but it's a bit of a blow. We are in the middle of changing operating models to a lean product delivery model and all our infra will now have to be requested from the most unagile and bureaucratic organization there is (our parent company...!) sigh. Now everyone is running around working out what to do and a few friends, who have been here for over 20yrs are now moving to the parent company. I'd be surprised if that wasn't short term and that the companies overall aim would be to offshore this. Ah the joys!!

Soldato
Why is recruitment such a pain?

Just had a candidate pull out on me 2 weeks before his start date. Personal reasons and is leaving the country so nothing I can do, massive shame though as out of 30 odd CV's and 7 interviews he was by far the standout candidate. Was really looking forward to having him on board, he has set the bar now for the level I'm looking for so can imagine this being a lengthy process.

Sorry, just needed a rant.

Soldato
I'd probably work out what I wanted first; if you'd like to go into management then that could be your plan and your approach would be different to simply making people aware that you're doing what you're doing. Would a step into that sort of role be something you'd like?

Thanks for the input!

I believe it's more along the lines of something I'm already doing, whether I like it or not, it appears to have evolved into this situation and I'm not sure whether the management team are aware of the managerial element of my role.

You're right, I need to figure out if this is something worth raising and ultimately pursuing, as at the moment I do have the ability to walk away from a lot of woes that come with management, as I always have the fact I'm not a manager to fall back on.

Soldato
One of the jobs I applied for I noticed has extended the closing date, at least once.
I've re-read it description and I feel like I have experience of it duties but not in the industry, which I think they've now made a requirement.
An other job actually got a "rejection" email, which is a pleasant change of fallen standards.

Apart from the couple of odd covid grants I've fallen through the cracks for government funding and with needing a day off for college i feel like this is my major negative. This is the first month I've really felt the financial stress and lacking of income.
I've done the warehouse stuff at the start of lock down and that ran it's course but it was having a huge detrimental impact on the mental health.

Soldato
Why is recruitment such a pain?

Just had a candidate pull out on me 2 weeks before his start date. Personal reasons and is leaving the country so nothing I can do, massive shame though as out of 30 odd CV's and 7 interviews he was by far the standout candidate. Was really looking forward to having him on board, he has set the bar now for the level I'm looking for so can imagine this being a lengthy process.

Sorry, just needed a rant.

You're an FD aren't you. If you'll take me as home based i can be great!

2 weeks before the start date is annoying though. Surely he knew what his plans were much before that!

Man of Honour
LOL just saw someone (fairly high up) accidentally copy and paste an email reply into one of our online discussion groups at work then quickly delete it :s

Soldato
Just been offered a job offer for 48k and the HR contact claims they can't offer 50k and put the phone down within 2 minutes..... Seems surprising to me?

Obviously I said i was interested but wanted the extra money. Seems odd to snub interest for a 3% difference. I've told them throughout i want 50k.

Soldato
OP
Just been offered a job offer for 48k and the HR contact claims they can't offer 50k and put the phone down within 2 minutes..... Seems surprising to me?

Obviously I said i was interested but wanted the extra money. Seems odd to snub interest for a 3% difference. I've told them throughout i want 50k.
Does sound odd. Sounds like it's into another "bracket" or something that puts it outside that role or something. Is it a big company? If they're not I'd be surprised at their point blank response tbh!

Soldato
OP
I have a Careers people favour to ask!

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/updat...vity:6764317290478620672,6764321108251447296)

I posted this on this investors post about my side project. It's got 10 likes at the moment but for visibility I'd love to totally smash the other 100 odd comments by getting a huge number of likes on my comment. I'm not even bother about investment at this point, but it's great marketing when you're doing it on a zero $ budget like I am at the moment. It's driven over 100 people to our site in the last 24hrs which is huge for me lol

I'd massively appreciate any likes you have in you on the comment of mine :)

Thanks OcUK!

Soldato
I have a Careers people favour to ask!

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6764317290478620672?commentUrn=urn:li:comment:(activity:6764317290478620672,6764321108251447296)

I posted this on this investors post about my side project. It's got 10 likes at the moment but for visibility I'd love to totally smash the other 100 odd comments by getting a huge number of likes on my comment. I'm not even bother about investment at this point, but it's great marketing when you're doing it on a zero $ budget like I am at the moment. It's driven over 100 people to our site in the last 24hrs which is huge for me lol

I'd massively appreciate any likes you have in you on the comment of mine :)

Thanks OcUK!
Loiked

Soldato
Does sound odd. Sounds like it's into another "bracket" or something that puts it outside that role or something. Is it a big company? If they're not I'd be surprised at their point blank response tbh!
The job i am in now i got offered a little less than the figure i asked for and they wouldn't budge over a couple of k. i found out the guys in my team were on the same as me and had more experience so that's why they wouldn't for me as it would be unfair on the others. I was being optimistic on the age front and would have left my old role for less so took it anyways and not regretted it since.
a couple of thousand a year isn't much if it's a better place to work :)

Man of Honour
I have never like negotiating salary, I'm crap at it. I thought when I took my role that I was taking a salary at the bottom of the range so to speak, but after becoming good friends with some colleagues I've since worked out I'm slap bang in the middle. If I put a managerial head on and compare myself against me peers, it's exactly where I should be so I can't complain.

Soldato
Been away from the forums for a while, family issues and new job;

I recently started working at Amazon web services (AWS) as a senior development engineer (L6). They reached out to me in November, initially I had no plans on taking the job, as I was in the process of waiting for the US embassy to open - as I was elligble for an L1 move to LA with my current employer. However I thought I'd put myself through the interview process just to see how well I did, more like an assault course - just for the fun of it.

It was a tough interview loop, I had 8x interviews in total all held over zoom, very deep level technical discussions and lots of Amazon leadership stuff. The deeper I got into the process, the quicker I realised that this would be a very nice role, and I'd get to work on the biggest, cutting edge tech in the industry. If I could get an offer - I should probably take it.

Eventually, the offer came in and it was very good, to the point where only a lunatic would turn it down. I did go back and tried to negotiate with my current employer, but over the last 6 months things had gotten a bit 'weird' several people had left the team and weren't being replaced - which told it's own story. Our 2021 roadmap was practically non-existant too. With the embassies not opening any time soon, and the potential for being locked into a dying team in LA whilst I get a US green-card (2-3 years?) it felt like a good time to bail.

I went back to Amazon, and did some negotiating on the relocation part. I'm currently stuck in Ireland (long story involving big tech companies and tax) and I absolutely ******** hate the place, it's the worst, most stupid, expensive, dull, god-awful place I've ever lived. So Amazon agreed to move me over to Seattle (pending my performance/probation etc, checks out) so that was that - I signed up.

My biggest worry about joining AWS was that it would feel like being a cog in a giant machine, like being assimilated by "THE THING" and I'd just become an inconsequential wheel in a machine. Turns out it's actually nothing like that at all, I'm in a team of 24 people - doing some literal cutting edge stuff, things I'd never get to touch anywhere. I've worked for countless large organisations, and AWS doesn't feel like a big organisation to work for, it feels pretty compact and agile.

The culture is very inventive, many of the problems we encounter are often at such enormous scale, there's no 'off the shelf solution' you can buy to solve it, so creative whacky ways of solving problems - stuff I'd scream at if I'd seen it elsewhere in my career, are a thing here - simply because of the size and scale, so it's very very interesting.

Of course it's not all perfect, onboarding here is hard. There's just so much stuff to learn and understand, you spend the first 1-2 months buried deep in documents and training, to the point where it just becomes one big block of nonsense and you feel burnt out and useless.

It's probably the first time in my life I've experienced mild "Imposter syndrome" there are a lot of very high level people here, some of the most respected engineers in the industry, and mixing with them at their level is pretty daunting, asking questions and getting involved in discussions can be difficult, it's a very competitive environment. I've learnt that not holding back, and just getting stuck into conversations, and asking lots of questions - even silly ones, is actually the best way to make headway here, rather than sitting in the corner of every discussion.

So far, for me - it's been a very good move, my priority for now is to just focus on my first project (which is insane) get through the first year and get my L1 visa going, when Biden hopefully starts to open the US up. After that I'll reevaluate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom