This doesnt look right!

Soldato
OP
cpuusage2.jpg

I've removed a few things but not sure what else to get rid of. Ideas?

Last edited:
Soldato
mrk said:
You're still wrong...WB5 has no performance hit, the only "hit" is when it's applying a new skin which can take10-15 seconds but after that everything is fine, memory? the main program isn't even running in the BG to use memory...

I used to have WB5 but the transparent borders on many skins whilst nice were more distracting on programs that don't suit such borders so I just use a plain visual style instead. WB5 was faster and everyopne that has used it agrees.
Nu-uh. The reason you can't see it in Task Manager is because it's a kernel-mode process (ala, driver.) Task Manager only shows user-mode processes.

I assure you, there's a hit... despite what any marketing material or forum discussion on the Windowblinds site suggests. Even with Vista there will be a hit, but luckily due to optimisations elsewhere in that OS it is being negated.

I know WB is faster. It uses a similar approach to Vista. It back-buffers everything on your desktop. Well actually I guess that makes it more akin to Mac OSX... This means it can render those translucency effects with little effort because all the components of the image it needs to do so are stored in memory.

You were saying WB uses less resources than XP's standard themes. I am saying that is just plain wrong. It uses less CPU time, sure. Great! But it uses a shed load more memory too. It's a trade off. Vista will be doing the same trade off and there's going to be so many people that will hate Microsoft for it. I for one though, won't. And no existing WB users will either, such as yourself. Because we already know of the advantages of using that trade off.

Last edited:
Soldato
^^ I also have to agree with this man. He speaketh the truth

msmsgs.exe = MSN 6.2

msnmsgr.exe = MSN 7.5

do you need both?

do you realy need all of the Avast services running?

Last edited:
Soldato
BigBoy said:
Your Commit Charge is well high and personaly i would say Opera has a big memory leak, also do you realy need 36 processes running? i only have 15 that with Taskmanager Firefox MSN and thunderbird running.

Possibly some spyware hidden in explorer.exe or a root kit maybe?

Woah :eek: how do you manage to have so few processes !

Currently i'm on 67, work Pc here but still ! :p

Permabanned
mrk said:
Actually vista does use the GFX card to render windows :p

I know ;) But the way Vista does it is rather more comprehensive - I just wanted to acknowledge this before someone inferred that I thought they were exactly the same, and corrected me.

Soldato
Try closing down BitComet and running Opera again. I suspect it might be you're downloading something using it, rather than Opera being a memory leak. I notice that in the first post it's listed there but isn't in the others (so I assume you closed it down).

Permabanned
NathanE said:
You were saying WB uses less resources than XP's standard themes. I am saying that is just plain wrong. It uses less CPU time, sure. Great! But it uses a shed load more memory too.

Hmm apparently WB's memory usage is very small actually. I say 'apparently' because you can't actually see it running in the task manager.

Soldato
-Mighty-Mick- said:
which avast services are essential?

i only have P2p shield, Internet Mail and Standard Shield running and have never had any problems that way.

Also in taskmanager click View>Select Columns and add the Virtual Memory size column. to see how much Virtual (page file) each process is using

Last edited:
Soldato
Now trim down what services you are running click on Start>Run and type services.msc now sort by status untill all the ones that say started are at the top. go to The Elder Geek and search the website for the name of each service you are running and it will tell you if you can disable or set to manual each service that is running.

Dont disable a service if you think it may be needed!

Back
Top Bottom