1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is a Saudi textbook. (After the intolerance was removed.)

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Stolly, 24 May 2006.

1. Stolly

Mobster

Can anyone confirm is this is authentic ?

I can hardly believe it is, yet the Washington Post is a fairly well known newspaper, i'd hope they did their research properly.

If its fake, then the Washington Post really has some explaining to do.

If its real, then wow, this Wahabi brand of Islam really is the opposite to "religous tolerance"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/19/AR2006051901769_2.html

2. zain

Mobster

:rolleyes:

3. VIRII

PermaBanned

This is speakers corner. Do you have something of value to add?
    If you disagree with what has been posted why not try to articulate your disagreement in a well reasoned post?

What are we seeing in the OP? Is it a case of Islam imitating traditional culture in that region or is infact the culture realigning with Islam? Certainly the value of women seems to many westerners to be exceptionally low in Islam be it in the UK or Saudi.

4. Visage

PermaBanned

Seems like yet another argument for seperation of church and state.....

5. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

I feel increasingly sorry for people exposed to such ideas...

6. anarchist

PermaBanned

7. @if ®afiq

Soldato

Why is so much tripe being posted about the ME lately?

8. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

Define 'tripe', then ask yourself whether the levels of ME-related posts have actually increased given the frequent conversation topics about Iraq and Israel/Palestine...

Also, why would you wish to dismiss such a story as 'tripe' ? Is it because you don't wish to address it, or because you agree with it and feel you have to rebut our criticism?

9. nero120

Soldato

Maybe cos the ME is the assend of the world and we are getting sick to death of the problems it is causing us. I wish we did the job properly and took those countries from the useless people that inhabit them and waste resources that could go to better ends. None of this freeing people from oppression crap.

10. Visage

PermaBanned

You seem to have used the terms 'we' and 'us' a lot there. Unless I missed your election as some spokesperson, perhaps you should use the term 'I' and 'me'.

11. robmiller

Capodecina

Whoah, heavy stuff. Can understand why a lot of young middle-easterners are so messed up.

12. JimmyEatWorms

PermaBanned

But remember...the saudis are our friends.

13. nero120

Soldato

I also used the term 'maybe'. Perhaps you missed that in your haste to criticise.

14. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

Right until the oil drys up

15. anarchist

PermaBanned

That's a bit of a harsh generalisation. I'm sure many people in those countries are perfectly decent human beings with a lot to contribute to society. It's just the leaders that often cause the trouble, which is a worldwide problem really.

16. anarchist

PermaBanned

Damn, beat me to it! ;)

17. nero120

Soldato

People are made, not born. The people of those countries are products of their society, and their society is nothing but a waste of space. There are many things wrong with western society as well, but at least we manage to function and contribute to human development, not just consume resources. The middle east is achieving nothing but creating more problems, and you say Im too harsh? Lucky for them we are a bunch of decadent, corrupted soft hippies, as if we had a little fire in us their bodies would probably be ashes by now.

Edit: the fact of the matter is, if they didnt exist, the only difference would be that the world would be more peaceful. That is quite a depressing epitath for a once great civilisation.

18. anarchist

PermaBanned

Genes play a huge part in a person's personality. How much is up for debate admittedly, but it's there.

I think you have it the wrong way around. Western society consumes vast resources compared to the rest of the world. Is that contributing to human development when, in the end, we will be the ones responsible for draining all of the life-giving resources from the earth?

19. anarchist

PermaBanned

No, if they didn't have oil the world would be more peaceful. Or rather it would be more peaceful for them and less peaceful for the people that DID have the oil!

20. @if ®afiq

Soldato

I call it tripe as that is hwo I see it. The link only links to page 2 of this. There is no way of finding out which book it was taken from, which school etc? It just looks really dodgy.

Why not have a proper discussion with links that actaully show who the author is and where they are getting their info from. You can talk about the ME until you are blue in the face, I don't mid - but what I do mind is this (and the other threads) that have cropped up recently.

As much as you want to paint me as some sort of keyboard jihadist, I am not.

The wahabi sect is one that I despise. They have no respect for anyone except those that believe the same as them. At the moment they are busy raising and tarmacing over the graves of many of the Prophet Muhammed's companions. They are the "enemy within".