• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

This is what a scalper looks like..

Associate
OP
Poor girl, you guys ignoring the boy altogether.
The point I was trying to make was the scalpers in most cases are just your average Joe/Jill. In this case youngsters. But some of the hatred shown towards scalpers is a bit over the top, specifically for GPUs.

Caporegime
Good to see a new generation of entrepreneurs.

Good luck to 'em I say.

Its not like they are depriving people of essential medicine or food - it's just luxury items that people can do without.
This kind of person would likely do the same thing with essential medicine or food, should the opportunity arise, and should the feel they could get away with it.

The fact that it's consoles (a luxury item) is fairly meaningless.

You don't think they are aware of the kind of "business" they are running? One which benefits *no one* except themselves. There is absolutely no way you (or anyone else) can argue that they are providing a service. They aren't. They are basically just inflating the prices of goods. Goods they didn't help design, manufacture, or transport.

They are aware that they are hated, and they are aware of the reasons why. They are doing it purely because they can, and they can get away with it.

If it was food and/or essential medicine, they weren't breaking the law, and they could get away with it.. tell me these people wouldn't jump at the opportunity. We both know plenty would.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

This kind of person would likely do the same thing with essential medicine or food, should the opportunity arise, and should the feel they could get away with it.

You don't think they are aware of the kind of "business" they are running? One which benefits *no one* except themselves. There is absolutely no way you (or anyone else) can argue that they are providing a service. They aren't. They are basically just inflating the prices of goods. Goods they didn't help design, manufacture, or transport.

They are aware that they are hated, and they are aware of the reasons why. They are doing it purely because they can, and they can get away with it.

If it was food and/or essential medicine, they weren't breaking the law, and they could get away with it.. tell me these people wouldn't jump at the opportunity. We both know plenty would.

If they were doing the same with essential food and medicine then I would have have a problem with it, but they aren't so I don't.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Poor girl, you guys ignoring the boy altogether.
The point I was trying to make was the scalpers in most cases are just your average Joe/Jill. In this case youngsters. But some of the hatred shown towards scalpers is a bit over the top, specifically for GPUs.
Considering the hatred and comments, do they not pause to think that what they are doing is generally considered as unacceptable and wrong?

Soldato
Considering the hatred and comments, do they not pause to think that what they are doing is generally considered as unacceptable and wrong?

I guess it is if you sign up to the world being so hurt by comments about this and that and everyone offended by just about anything - welcome to your new awful world of *********. Sounds like you've signed up to it already - enjoy being told what to say and how to think. Slow clap

Permabanned
I've said this before but I wonder how many of these people realize they should be paying tax on all these profits and HMRC trolls places like ebay looking for people like her. In case you think, "oh well, it's a private sale", actually it's not, the HMRC has the power to decide whether a purchase was solely for the purposes of resale and if it decides that then it can tax you accordingly.

This is not a simple case of supply and demand. These people are just taking advantage of a bad situation and making it worse. If it truly is business then they should offer the same warranties and service that a business offers and be subject to the same rules and laws, but they don't and they are not. It is pure profiteering and it should be stopped. At the very least these people need to be reported to HMRC to dissuade them to do it again.

Associate

I've said this before but I wonder how many of these people realize they should be paying tax on all these profits and HMRC trolls places like ebay looking for people like her. In case you think, "oh well, it's a private sale", actually it's not, the HMRC has the power to decide whether a purchase was solely for the purposes of resale and if it decides that then it can tax you accordingly.

This is not a simple case of supply and demand. These people are just taking advantage of a bad situation and making it worse. If it truly is business then they should offer the same warranties and service that a business offers and be subject to the same rules and laws, but they don't and they are not. It is pure profiteering and it should be stopped. At the very least these people need to be reported to HMRC to dissuade them to do it again.

Literally all of this.

These people are nothing but bottom-feeding repugnant parasites.

Soldato
I have no sympathy for someone that drops £2500 on a 3090 on ebay at all. I doubt they are hurting either paying that price. Nobody is buying a 3090 for that price without knowing why they are paying that price. They know, and accept it and pay the premium, therefore they can afford it. You are not entitled to automatically pay less at the moment which people are learning by simply giving in and buying. That's up to them.

I don't hate scalpers. They are profiteering from people that are addicted to consumerism and probably already have enough disposable income to drop such cash on cards. The people hurting are the people who can't afford to pay the prices....but that's what needs to happen. Just sit this phase out and vote with your wallet. I can't and won't pay the prices either.

Associate
I dislike anyone trying to profit from other's misfortune but threatening or attempting to injure scalpers is objectively wrong.
They should be killed in as quick and humane a fashion as possible.

Associate
So what rules are being broken by the scalpers?
Tax evasion for one. If you actually read the article it becomes obvious that most of these scalpers are too stupid to realize that they need to pay tax and NI on their profits. Most of them will get away with it too since only a small number will get audited and they are small fish. The actual buying with bots and selling isn't illegal yet, but that's just a matter of time.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Tax evasion for one. If you actually read the article it becomes obvious that most of these scalpers are too stupid to realize that they need to pay tax and NI on their profits. Most of them will get away with it too since only a small number will get audited and they are small fish. The actual buying with bots and selling isn't illegal yet, but that's just a matter of time.

That's conjecture, you can't be sure that they aren't paying their dues, so that's not really a relevant criticism for scalping as a whole.

Associate
That's conjecture, you can't be sure that they aren't paying their dues, so that's not really a relevant criticism for scalping as a whole.
I can be certain that Jake is evading tax from the BBC article, that's not conjecture.

Jake says he doesn't know how much money he's made from scalping - but the numbers are big.
"I honestly don't keep track. Maybe £10,000 since November," he tells Radio 1 Newsbeat.
It's something he's been doing for a few years

Back
Top Bottom