• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

This is what a scalper looks like..

Soldato
I have no sympathy for someone that drops £2500 on a 3090 on ebay at all. I doubt they are hurting either paying that price. Nobody is buying a 3090 for that price without knowing why they are paying that price. They know, and accept it and pay the premium, therefore they can afford it. You are not entitled to automatically pay less at the moment which people are learning by simply giving in and buying. That's up to them.

I don't hate scalpers. They are profiteering from people that are addicted to consumerism and probably already have enough disposable income to drop such cash on cards. The people hurting are the people who can't afford to pay the prices....but that's what needs to happen. Just sit this phase out and vote with your wallet. I can't and won't pay the prices either.

I agree 100% with what you said.

I dislike anyone trying to profit from other's misfortune but threatening or attempting to injure scalpers is objectively wrong.
They should be killed in as quick and humane a fashion as possible.

The "misfortune" of people with tons of cash to spend?

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I can be certain that Jake is evading tax from the BBC article, that's not conjecture.

Jake says he doesn't know how much money he's made from scalping - but the numbers are big.
"I honestly don't keep track. Maybe £10,000 since November," he tells Radio 1 Newsbeat.
It's something he's been doing for a few years

So that's an issue with not paying taxes, not scalping itself per se.

Otherwise it would be like having an issue with plumbers, when in fact you have an issue with cash in in hand, not plumbers as a whole.

Permabanned
I can be certain that Jake is evading tax from the BBC article, that's not conjecture.

Jake says he doesn't know how much money he's made from scalping - but the numbers are big.
"I honestly don't keep track. Maybe £10,000 since November," he tells Radio 1 Newsbeat.
It's something he's been doing for a few years

Seems correct. If he has not kept a record then it stands to reason he is not paying tax.

Soldato
If it was food and/or essential medicine, they weren't breaking the law, and they could get away with it.. tell me these people wouldn't jump at the opportunity. We both know plenty would.

Last year happened (when the pandemic hit), where I live. People bought a lot of essential stuff and sold it at a few times their prices. Stock was out or low... So yeah, will profit from everything. No understanding on my part for such behavior.
You want to make a buck? Fine, open legally a store, pay tax on profit and on everything that you're doing, offer proper waranty and don't use bots.

Someone took the crown of scalping

At least you're buying it from a store which takes a risk.
I don't know the law in Uk, but last time I've checked a few years back, in my country, if a product wasn't fixable, then the store had to give you the same product in its place or money back. That ment than if a $2000 GPU broke down after 2years and 11 months and if the store could not provide a replacement of the same exact product, then... money back. It doesn't matter that a card was available, at $300 offering the same performance, I could just say no, I don't want that, I want the same model I've bought almost 3 years back. You don't have it, bad luck, give me my money back. :)

Also, if waranty is needed and let's say you send it for a check up, if they can't give you the card anymore and chose to refund, then possibly the initially buyer (the scalper), would get the money and you, as seconday buyer, are at the mercy of the scalper - either get less money that what you've paid for or nothing at all.

Anyway, funny how people can defend immoral behavior, maybe some are scalping themselves :D . Just like some people will defend AMD, Intel or nVIDIA no matter what funcky business they'll do.

Here's to PC gaming dying. Again. :)

Associate
I have no sympathy for someone that drops £2500 on a 3090 on ebay at all. I doubt they are hurting either paying that price. Nobody is buying a 3090 for that price without knowing why they are paying that price. They know, and accept it and pay the premium, therefore they can afford it. You are not entitled to automatically pay less at the moment which people are learning by simply giving in and buying. That's up to them.

I don't hate scalpers. They are profiteering from people that are addicted to consumerism and probably already have enough disposable income to drop such cash on cards. The people hurting are the people who can't afford to pay the prices....but that's what needs to happen. Just sit this phase out and vote with your wallet. I can't and won't pay the prices either.

I do hate scalpers. I can but I won't pay the prices. The thing is, they are preventing other customers buying goods at normal prices. At this moment, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of GPUs which have been bought at normal prices sitting there waiting to be sold for a profit. Why not sell the cards at crazy prices from the start?

If I am gonna have to pay 1000£ for a GPU, so be it, but I want the GPU with its warranty and everything. And once I know its real price, I'll decide if I am willing to buy or not. But don't tell me I have to pay 1000£ for a product which I'm being told should cost 400£, and that I have to give 600£ to a guy who is taking advantage of the situation and preventing me to buy for the price I have been told I should be buying at... plus no warranty on such an expensive product.

Everyone scalps. Shops, distributors, why can't a common man in the street I say?

Lets go back to the real world for a second... Shops and distributors do not scalp, if something, they have increased their margins (which doesn't neccesarily mean they are making more money). Even if that's the case, you can be sure they do pay their taxes, and you get your warranty. Do you honestly think any of the guys who are selling FE cards on eBay or the FB market are paying taxes for what they sell? do you think you are paying VAT on the prducts you buy from them? are you gonna get any warranty from them?

If you want to buy and sell, well, open a business. There is a very famous shop in the country which does that, It isn't fair people is getting into the business when it suits them, but without following the same rules as the rest.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
So what rules are being broken by the scalpers?

I was referring to your position... OK to scalp somethings but not others, GFX cards OK, essentials not OK.

It's all profiteering... creating personal profit by means of advantage (e.g. use of bots) while offering no service or advantage to others who are subsequently in a worse position (i.e. less money in pocket) as a result of the scalpers involvement compared to the product being more freely available to purchase from an approved retailer.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I guess it is if you sign up to the world being so hurt by comments about this and that and everyone offended by just about anything - welcome to your new awful world of *********. Sounds like you've signed up to it already - enjoy being told what to say and how to think. Slow clap

Can't decide if you are trolling or simply talking gibberish. In the BBC article, Sam reports that "people have said I should be stabbed and left to bleed in the street"; and Jake says, "I don't sound like a very nice person, but it's business isn't it?"

Are they not listening to themselves and thinking there actions are considered by many to be unacceptable... Jake can even see it himself, though money is obviously winning over his morals.

Woodsta888, I have absolutely no idea what your point is, and what you think I've signed up to.

Soldato
I`m shocked at some of the outrage in this thread. I`m sure you guys are just angry you cant buy a GPU.

If these scalpers were scalping sewing machines for a HUGE profit instead, would you still be outraged and angry? All the scalpers are doing is targeting items that are in short supply and adding huge profit. They aren`t purposely targeting people in this thread to annoy them.

Last edited:
Soldato
People don't like other people making money at their expense is what it comes down to. Especially in situations where people feel more "forced" to hand over money. Ticket touts. Landlords. Scalpers of electronics and high demand items. Clubs selling drinks at very high cost. Airport burger kings selling whopper meals for £11. When you're on holiday on an experience and a photographer takes your family picture with the dolphins and asks for $300 for the pic.

Soldato
I`m shocked at some of the outrage in this thread. I`m sure you guys are just angry you cant buy a GPU.

If these scalpers were scalping sewing machines for a HUGE profit instead, would you still be outraged and angry? All the scalpers are doing is targeting items that are in short supply and adding huge profit. They aren`t purposely targeting people in this thread to annoy them.

Yes because my mum might not be able to upgrade/replace her sewing machine if needed.

Anybody who makes money purely from creating scarcity can do one.

Stu

Stu

Soldato

Yes, I am angry that I can't get a gfx card. Do you not think I'm justified in being angry?

I still think scalping is wrong at a general level.

If sewing machines were being scalped then I think that affected community will be angry, and rightly so.

Soldato
Is there any reason why some of you guys can't use a bot to buy graphics cards and sell them at cost price to genuine gamers?

It would be far more productive than moaning about the situation.

Caporegime
Is there any reason why some of you guys can't use a bot to buy graphics cards and sell them at cost price to genuine gamers?

It would be far more productive than moaning about the situation.
That's a trifle ridiculous.

I was going to use a daft analogy but it should be beyond obvious why that's ridiculous.

It is better for everyone involved if customers can buy from a business seller, retain their rights under consumer law, and not use a reseller at all. Neither a scalper nor a non-profit reseller (should such things even exist).

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I was referring to your position... OK to scalp somethings but not others, GFX cards OK, essentials not OK.

It's perfectly ok to like / not like or be indifferent about something despite it being perfectly legal.

For example, I like baked beans / do not like brussel spouts and am indifferent about broad beans.

It's all profiteering... creating personal profit by means of advantage (e.g. use of bots) while offering no service or advantage to others who are subsequently in a worse position (i.e. less money in pocket) as a result of the scalpers involvement compared to the product being more freely available to purchase from an approved retailer.

Profiteering is fine though - I'm more than happy for some one to go to all that effort to make a bit of extra money. I stand by my prev statements - no one NEEDS a graphics card so I don't care.

Manufacturers are best placed to solve the "problem" by making more cards. It's no different than the diamond trade - make something desirable (and hence expensive) by limiting supply.

Soldato
If one scalper buys one card purely to sell at a profit, has true stock become more scarce or stayed the same?

Stayed the same

1,000 graphics cards to scalpers = no stock
1,000 graphics cards to gamers = no stock

I work long hours so I've missed every drop by hours. How would it help if gamers bought all stock instead? There would still be no stock. The situation would be exactly the same, driven by too much demand from gamers and minors.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom