This question is racking my brains!

Associate
the_brainaic said:
Probably matters more on the ethnicity of the teenagers, not the nationality. And Religion. Jews/Muslims can't have salami pizza, more for me :)

My thinking was more along the lines of the nationality > obesity link (without mentioning particular counrtries).

*squints toward the West across the Atlantic*

Associate
Mattus said:
None of this takes into account that each teenager would slow down considerably once he'd scoffed one or two pizzas ;)

Yes, precisely, lol, and what about the wording of the question, does "in 1 1/2 hrs" imply "within" 1 1/2 hrs? In which case, the answer is 6 teenagers because we know they can scoff down 12 within 1 hr already. :D

If this were on an exam I would answer with "Since you gave me a stupid question I will give you a stupid answer". :D

Soldato
Mulder said:
I think it's simple but I just can't seem to do it!

If six teenagers can gobble up 12 pizzas in an hour, how many
teenagers will it take to eat 6 pizzas in an hour and a half?

Any ideas?

I'm getting 1 and a half teenagers, thus I'd guess it's 2.

Is it the same teenagers in the question that partook in the first pizza munching expirement?
Do they all have the same "Pizza-munching-speed"?
Are any of them stoned?

Too many variables to answer the question in my opinion. ;)

Soldato
OP
To answer many of your questions...

1) The teenagers are all clones of the original teenager, thus, no differences arise there. (and also had identical upbringings so their phenotypes are the same too ;) )

2) The pizzas are all uniform, exactly the same weight, dimension, "filling up value" etc

3) The teenagers eat at a constant speed, unaffected by what they have previously eaten or are anticipating to eat.

Soldato
Am I the only one who worked this out algebraically?

P=pizzas
K=kids
t=time (in hours)
c=constant

P = c
Kt

12/6*1 = c = 2

rearrange to get K = p/ct

K= 6/2*1.5 = 2

Do I have too much time on my hands?

Soldato
Mulder said:
To answer many of your questions...

1) The teenagers are all clones of the original teenager, thus, no differences arise there. (and also had identical upbringings so their phenotypes are the same too ;) )

2) The pizzas are all uniform, exactly the same weight, dimension, "filling up value" etc

3) The teenagers eat at a constant speed, unaffected by what they have previously eaten or are anticipating to eat.

Did a small thermonuclear warhead explode on them 1/2 way through the eating process by any chance?

Soldato
lordedmond said:
how can c = constant ?

i thought a constant never changed

yes you do have to much time on your hands use it more productively
Hmm good point, but here we are assuming the number of pizza consumed per kid per hour is constant. If we didn't then the question would have no answer! I suppose you could call it the rate of pizza consumption per child. Which I will also call c ;)

Soldato
lordedmond said:
it would if you changed p surely

eg pi R squared = area

pi is the constant and never changes
But if you had less pizzas, it would take either less time to eat them or there would be fewer kids. Therefore it's constant. Basically we're assuming that the rate at which a kid can eat pizza is constant.

Back
Top Bottom