time to buy a macbook pro

Associate
DVDs look great on glossy screen. Remember though that you will get a lot of reflections unless you sit directly in front of the screen.

Web browsing and general applications do look very nice on glossy screens... but you should probably go to PC World or something and have a look at a laptop with a glossy screent to see if you like it before making up your mind.

Personally, I prefer matte screens. Finger prints don't show up as badly as on a glossy screen. A good Matte screen has superior colour accuracy compared to a glossy screen. Matte screens don't suffer from reflections as much.

Glossy screen came out because when you see some screens lined up in a shop, the glossy ones stand out, and this gave an advantage to the laptop manufacturer (Sony etc.) in shop displays. Because of this almost all laptop manufacturers now include a glossy screen... but this doesn't mean its better than what they had before with matte screens.

Soldato
OP
nomore said:
DVDs look great on glossy screen. Remember though that you will get a lot of reflections unless you sit directly in front of the screen.

Web browsing and general applications do look very nice on glossy screens... but you should probably go to PC World or something and have a look at a laptop with a glossy screent to see if you like it before making up your mind.

Personally, I prefer matte screens. Finger prints don't show up as badly as on a glossy screen. A good Matte screen has superior colour accuracy compared to a glossy screen. Matte screens don't suffer from reflections as much.

Glossy screen came out because when you see some screens lined up in a shop, the glossy ones stand out, and this gave an advantage to the laptop manufacturer (Sony etc.) in shop displays. Because of this almost all laptop manufacturers now include a glossy screen... but this doesn't mean its better than what they had before with matte screens.

are TFTs usually matte??

Soldato
OP
nomore said:
They used to be... nowadays, TFT screen are still mostly matte, but most laptops are glossy. Pro TFTs are always matte.

glossy would be nice for dvds etc like u say and for browsing net.. im gonna keep my big desktop machine for file storage.. I have 700gb of space on it.. If I was to preview my output video/photo on the matte TFT then im sure it would solve any saturday/color balance problems.

Will maybe hold off a week or two before buying.

Caporegime
Watch out if you buy Mac versions of games, they might be PowerPC binaries in which case the performance will be a lot worse than booting into XP and running them through that.

Don't forget your XP licenses either :)

Soldato
OP
Caged said:
Watch out if you buy Mac versions of games, they might be PowerPC binaries in which case the performance will be a lot worse than booting into XP and running them through that.

Don't forget your XP licenses either :)

what u mean about xp licences?? u mean u should have two different copies of xp? I think thats what ** saying

Associate
jonnyc747 said:
what u mean about xp licences?? u mean u should have two different copies of xp? I think thats what ** saying
You need an XP licence for each machine that you run XP on. This includes XP running under BootCamp on a Mac.

Back
Top Bottom